Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM

170 posts, read 291,298 times

Advertisements

And Trinity is #1 in their regional category for what, the 20th year in a row?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 AM

43 posts, read 93,590 times
First just because a school makes a top 50 up and coming schools does not prove anything. Top schools like UT,A&M, Rice, Baylor, SMU do not have to be up and coming they are an established university, everyone already knows who they are. Its just like UTSA bragging about high % of minority grads. No ****, its back yard is San Antonio which happens to have a majority minority population. The whole minority thing is completely asinine to begin with. Yes I will admit in the past racism played a big role in the education system which is the whole reason that TSU Law even exists. This also lead to the rise of some really good black colleges since talented minority students would excel in them However in this day and age no one really cares whether you are a minority, in fact you will probably get a boost when applying to better schools. If a Hispanic female is the valedictorian from her high school she can go to top schools all around this country. Neither her race nor sex will prevent her from attending. Yes it is also true that GPA is a huge factor is what companies look at and a student with a 4.0 from UTSA will most likely get a job over a 2.5 from UT. However UTSA students are still at a disadvantage when competing with students from these schools when GPA is similar. I am defiently not implying that you will not get a good education at UTSA, especially when a student has stellar grades. But you will have to sell yourself more when going up against these other schools.

Next the whole we will move up the rankings cause its new is not a strong point because you are implying that UTSA will surpass other universities that are already established and have had more time and most likely funding to attract better students, professors, and research. Also everyone of these other schools are constantly improving themselves as well. I am not saying that its impossible but its a disadvantage. All these other universities have strong areas ( Such as Ut's Business and Law school or A&M's AG and engineering schools) that bring in top students when UTSA does not have a single program that gives its any significant advantage. I am still waiting to see where UTSA gives a student any significant advantage which justifies attending over other ranked universities in Texas. Perhaps Juneof48 could enlighten me to what stellar programs UTSA offers and how it is measured to be stellar? Just because the school is constantly increasing its offering of courses, creating more buildings, and increasing its amount of students does not mean it is has improved its position. Ill agree its trying damn hard and spending alot to do it but at what cost? UTSA in my opinion should have stuck with its regional mission and instead of expanding. They should have tightened down on standards and offered scholarships to students in the top 25% of their class. This coupled with spending more on quality professors not TA's would improve the school greatly. I guarantee it would increase the graduation rate above 10%.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 AM

84 posts, read 217,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkeenan87 View Post
Yes it is also true that GPA is a huge factor is what companies look at and a student with a 4.0 from UTSA will most likely get a job over a 2.5 from UT. However UTSA students are still at a disadvantage when competing with students from these schools when GPA is similar. I am defiently not implying that you will not get a good education at UTSA, especially when a student has stellar grades. But you will have to sell yourself more when going up against these other schools.

You have NO idea what you are talking about. Im not gonna tell ya where I work, but I am a department manager at a white collar professional company and have 15 people that work for me..........all have college degrees (Kansas, Purdue, Auburn, Ohio State, Texas A&M, (yes UTSA) grads as well. We hired based on grades and the interview process. We didnt give a crap what school you graduated from, as long as we were impressed and you were qualified for the position. Also, I know of several people that are directors at LARGE companies here in San Antonio...... they graduated from UTSA. Think what you want, but I personally think you are way off base.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saytown View Post
You have NO idea what you are talking about. Im not gonna tell ya where I work, but I am a department manager at a white collar professional company and have 15 people that work for me..........all have college degrees (Kansas, Purdue, Auburn, Ohio State, Texas A&M, (yes UTSA) grads as well. We hired based on grades and the interview process. We didn't give a crap what school you graduated from, as long as we were impressed and you were qualified for the position. Also, I know of several people that are directors at LARGE companies here in San Antonio...... they graduated from UTSA. Think what you want, but I personally think you are way off base.
I actually do know what I am talking about as their are plenty of companies out there that recruit only from specific schools. As in any student that got into Harvard or Yale will have opportunities that I or you could never have such as New York international banking jobs at the best firms. One of the best things from these top schools is the alumni network and reputation you get from just graduating from one of these school. When you get into a university that has a acceptance rate as low as UTSA's four year graduation rate, it shows that you are among the absolute best and brightest students in the world. These are schools that produce Nobel laureates, senators, CEO's, and presidents. (I am not claiming that SMU is in the same category as Harvard or Yale because it is truly not even in the same league as UT.) The doors that open form these school are ones we will never even know that they exist. The truth is that the better school you go to the more opportunities will be available to you. This is why you see the best companies sending recruiters to OCI at these schools. The best recruit the best and if a student worked hard enough to be accepted into Notre Dame's Mendoza school of business or UT Austins McComb's school of business this alone shows that they were much smarter / more dedicated than someone who went to UTSA's open enrollment business school. The quality of student in these programs are on average substantially better than UTSA. Now when you look at someone in the top 10% of all three schools we find ourselves upping the paying field once again. At all three we see that these students are the cream of the crop at their respective schools and all probably have achieved meritorious GPA's. However the students at Notre Dame are the top 10% of some of the best minds in the country versus UTSA are the top 10% of a college which allows pretty much anyone into their program. Notre Dame does not even allow transfer into their business schools and UT Austin is pretty much the same. I never said that you can not get a good job from UTSA and I do believe that quite a bit of respectful companies will hire people based on how well they did in school and passing an interview especially companies close to San Antonio. However I do not see PricewaterhouseCoopers conducting OCI at UTSA. Like I said its not impossible to get a good job out of UTSA but seriously it will not open any doors and you know that. There are plenty of companies that will hire from only specific schools because they know the quality they are getting from their. Are you going to seriously tell me that if you had a 4.0 GPA student from Notre Dame and a 4.0 student from UTSA and they both nailed the interview that you are not hiring the ND grad?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkeenan87 View Post
I actually do know what I am talking about as their are plenty of companies out there that recruit only from specific schools. As in any student that got into Harvard or Yale will have opportunities that I or you could never have such as New York international banking jobs at the best firms. One of the best things from these top schools is the alumni network and reputation you get from just graduating from one of these school. When you get into a university that has a acceptance rate as low as UTSA's four year graduation rate, it shows that you are among the absolute best and brightest students in the world. These are schools that produce Nobel laureates, senators, CEO's, and presidents. (I am not claiming that SMU is in the same category as Harvard or Yale because it is truly not even in the same league as UT.) The doors that open form these school are ones we will never even know that they exist. The truth is that the better school you go to the more opportunities will be available to you. This is why you see the best companies sending recruiters to OCI at these schools. The best recruit the best and if a student worked hard enough to be accepted into Notre Dame's Mendoza school of business or UT Austins McComb's school of business this alone shows that they were much smarter / more dedicated than someone who went to UTSA's open enrollment business school. The quality of student in these programs are on average substantially better than UTSA. Now when you look at someone in the top 10% of all three schools we find ourselves upping the paying field once again. At all three we see that these students are the cream of the crop at their respective schools and all probably have achieved meritorious GPA's. However the students at Notre Dame are the top 10% of some of the best minds in the country versus UTSA are the top 10% of a college which allows pretty much anyone into their program. Notre Dame does not even allow transfer into their business schools and UT Austin is pretty much the same. I never said that you can not get a good job from UTSA and I do believe that quite a bit of respectful companies will hire people based on how well they did in school and passing an interview especially companies close to San Antonio. However I do not see PricewaterhouseCoopers conducting OCI at UTSA. Like I said its not impossible to get a good job out of UTSA but seriously it will not open any doors and you know that. There are plenty of companies that will hire from only specific schools because they know the quality they are getting from their. Are you going to seriously tell me that if you had a 4.0 GPA student from Notre Dame and a 4.0 student from UTSA and they both nailed the interview that you are not hiring the ND grad?
First of all that is old school thinking...... it doesnt work that way anymore outside of an IVY LEAGUE school. Secondly, UTSA has upped their admission standards for 2013-2014........... The University of Texas at San Antonio

UTSA has just as many students living on or near campus as they do at UT-Austin. UTSA is shedding the commuter image even if you fail to open your eyes and see it. Also remember that UTSA is a very, very young university. Its only been around since 1969. You are comparing UTSA to universities that have been around since the 1800's........Notre Dame, Harvard and UT??? LOL.........seriously? Those schools should be rated higher. Im proud to be an Alum of UTSA. Ive been able to see the university grow from nothing to where it is now. TXST (for example) right down the road has been around for 100yrs, and UTSA has passed that school or matched it in just about everything. UTSA has 31K students....better admissions standards in place, striving for Tier 1 status, and a football team that has see inaugural season attendance records, as well as going into FBS conference USA in an unprecedented time. If you cant acknowledge what UTSA has done in the past decade, then you are just hating period. Have a great week!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Quote:
UTSA has just as many students living on or near campus as they do at UT-Austin.
Nope, not even close.

Drive around the UT-Austin main campus and you'll get it. Right now ~30,000 students live within walking distance of UT, ~15,000 live within the city limits of Austin, and ~ 5000 live outside the city limits (mostly in Round Rock, Leander, Cedar Park, and Buda)-- numbers include graduate students.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Nope, not even close.

Drive around the UT-Austin main campus and you'll get it. Right now ~30,000 students live within walking distance of UT, ~15,000 live within the city limits of Austin, and ~ 5000 live outside the city limits (mostly in Round Rock, Leander, Cedar Park, and Buda)-- numbers include graduate students.
My bad............. sorry about that.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
First of all that is old school thinking...... it doesnt work that way anymore outside of an IVY LEAGUE school. Secondly, UTSA has upped their admission standards for 2013-2014........... The University of Texas at San Antonio

UTSA has just as many students living on or near campus as they do at UT-Austin. UTSA is shedding the commuter image even if you fail to open your eyes and see it. Also remember that UTSA is a very, very young university. Its only been around since 1969. You are comparing UTSA to universities that have been around since the 1800's........Notre Dame, Harvard and UT??? LOL.........seriously? Those schools should be rated higher. Im proud to be an Alum of UTSA. Ive been able to see the university grow from nothing to where it is now. TXST (for example) right down the road has been around for 100yrs, and UTSA has passed that school or matched it in just about everything. UTSA has 31K students....better admissions standards in place, striving for Tier 1 status, and a football team that has see inaugural season attendance records, as well as going into FBS conference USA in an unprecedented time. If you cant acknowledge what UTSA has done in the past decade, then you are just hating period. Have a great week!!!
Im not hating on UTSA, I think it serves its purpose of giving a shot to those who were not accepted into other schools a chance at a college education. The "upped standards" imply that a student needs a 1100 SAT to get in when in the bottom 1/4 of their graduating class. The rate has moved form 99.9% to 86.9% which is still a joke compared to even TX state which sits at 75%. The fact that they are recruiting from the bottom level of high school is not a bragging point. At this point I can not accurately comment on the state of UTSA's commuter reputation as I have not been in San Antonio for the past year and quite frankly it will not make any difference to the advancement of the school. I agree that UTSA is a very young university as well, however it still must compete against all other universities such as the ones previously mentioned and many more. How can UTSA actually "move up" as a university if it is not passing a single university in any measurable category? Another claim you have lobbied is that TX state has been surpassed by UTSA, I ask in which area? TX State has a higher ranking in business than UTSA and when it was compared with UTSA was under the regional category was multiple spots ahead of Texas State and has a 25% four year graduation rate compared to UTSA's 7% rate. I fail to see how by any objective means one could claim that UTSA is better than Texas State when they obviously have more stringent admissions (IE better average students) and a higher graduation rate. UTSA is "striving for Tier 1 status" and will not achieve said goal due to other universities that are leagues ahead of them (UT-Dallas, TX tech, U of H). Even your UTSA's football sets records is a load of crock considering you guys just got a damn football team! So they had more attendance than last year big woop! You cant say UTSA is this great school but have NOTHING to back it up! Congratulations on making it to the FBS conference because the college teams are all moving around so much in the past few years. Its not like UTSA football will ever be anything close to even the Baylor Bears. I can acknowledge what UTSA has done in the last decade, they have added more degree plans, tons of construction, increases in tuition, and some doctoral programs. However none of this has lead to UTSA becoming a better University compared to its peers. It has and always will be a good regional school for the entry level San Antonio market which itself is a weak market when compared to Dallas, Houston, and Austin.
To be clear Saytown, I would like examples showing how UTSA has moved up and become a better ranked university. Please show me some kind of evidence that proves that UTSA would give me an edge over other Texas Universities. Any program will do.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times
Quote:
You have NO idea what you are talking about. Im not gonna tell ya where I work, but I am a department manager at a white collar professional company and have 15 people that work for me..........all have college degrees (Kansas, Purdue, Auburn, Ohio State, Texas A&M, (yes UTSA) grads as well. We hired based on grades and the interview process. We didnt give a crap what school you graduated from, as long as we were impressed and you were qualified for the position. Also, I know of several people that are directors at LARGE companies here in San Antonio...... they graduated from UTSA. Think what you want, but I personally think you are way off base.
A college degree isn't a commodity that can be ranked solely upon the grade a student made and an interview. What program they graduated from is incredibly important because it is a measure of rigor. UTSA puts out some great graduates, but my UT engineering degree and Boston U MBA garners me a premium in pay that I know is worth more and fortunately so does my employer. That and several decades of experience... Most companies hire on a qualitative basis that accounts for strength of a program. Just look at the compensation data from say McCombs Businees School grads vs. UTSA. You will see the difference and it is tangible, not anecdotal.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
A college degree isn't a commodity that can be ranked solely upon the grade a student made and an interview. What program they graduated from is incredibly important because it is a measure of rigor. UTSA puts out some great graduates, but my UT engineering degree and Boston U MBA garners me a premium in pay that I know is worth more and fortunately so does my employer. That and several decades of experience... Most companies hire on a qualitative basis that accounts for strength of a program. Just look at the compensation data from say McCombs Businees School grads vs. UTSA. You will see the difference and it is tangible, not anecdotal.
UGH! Thank You! Somebody that gets it! That whole nonsense about "old school mentality" and this type of thing only happens at IVY league universities is a ridiculous statement.

Last edited by Jkeenan87; 06-26-2012 at 08:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio