Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

^^^ Right. And several La Michoacana stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM

336 posts, read 484,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Right. And several La Michoacana stores.
I love those places

Where else can you get fresh cut meat AND prescription antibiotics, all in the same place?

Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Prescription antibiotics? I never saw any pharmacy department there, just the over the counter stuff...
BTW: I would never buy meat there. Culebra Meat Market quality...

Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
It says Central Market... Nowhere does it mention HEB. Even if they're run as two separate companies, they could very well still be quietly paying for the name 'Central Market.' Nothing on that site negates that.

This is info I'm getting from inside of HEB corp, so you can choose to believe it or not

Either way, I'm just passing it along... And will continue to do so.
If you look at the US Patent Trademark Office (link provided below), it pretty much explains who owns the name and logo.

Actual name is "Central Market HEB".

Link: USPTO link - Central Market HEB

Old 02-12-2014, 11:21 PM

129 posts, read 154,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Central Market is a division of H-E-B. They don't have to pay for use of the name...

There is more than one La Fiesta in town.
This I did not know, I am only aware of one on the West Side near a Luby's, if that is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
I couldn't disagree more with this post. When I went to HEB on 281/Evans on Superbowl Sunday they had every single register open, all 28 registers. When I shop at the Alon Market, they have a good number of cashiers open daily. Now Target on the other hand drives me nuts; they ALWAYS have 3 or so registers open. And some of the registers they use as storage to stack boxes on. I have not seen that happen at HEB.
As far as food savings, I'd like to know where you shop at that has cheaper prices. And the customer service is subjective opinion.
As far as prices, I travel constantly, through out Texas as well as several other states, HEB is over priced.

All the HEBs I shop at, other than the specialty one on Broadway, and the other HEBs with different branded names are alike as far as registers. Sadly the one near my house (Walzem & Montgomery) is far by the worst, I remember when that one first opened up, all registers were always open and plenty of baggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Ever go into Target - they have 50 registers and only two to three open.

Interestingly, HEB is changing the labeling of some of its Central Market Organics to HEB Organics.

Trying to down scale them or kill the Central Market concept?
I agree Target is just as bad, if not worse, which is why I choose not to shop there.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
We have a lot of grocery stores...

HEB
Central Market
Whole Foods
Trader Joes
Green Fields Market
Sprouts
La Fiesta
Walmart
Target

I know if you live in a different part of town it might seem like only HEB but within a four mile radius of my house we have:

2 HEBs
Trader Joes
Sprouts
Target P Fresh Concept
An Asian Market
Whole Foods

I lived in Phoenix and we had:

Albertsons (they were here but couldn't compete)
Frys (closet to HEB I found)
Bashes (dirty)

Wal-Mart didn't open up a regional office to copy any other grocery stores take on fresh food they picked HEB. I think it says a lot about an organization when the worlds largest retailer is trying to mimic your approach...

Old 02-13-2014, 09:22 AM

Central Market is controlled by HEB, at least the one I know of on Broadway. Thought all Trader Joes have closed, was only aware of one (but according to post since my original post, there are more) Fiestas in SA. Super Wal-mart and Super Targets are way low on my list as far as Grocery Stores are concerned. Can you show me where it says that Wal-Mart copied HEB's approach to fresh food.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossjr79 View Post
Central Market is controlled by HEB, at least the one I know of on Broadway. Thought all Trader Joes have closed, was only aware of one (but according to post since my original post, there are more) Fiestas in SA. Super Wal-mart and Super Targets are way low on my list as far as Grocery Stores are concerned. Can you show me where it says that Wal-Mart copied HEB's approach to fresh food.
Here you go...

Wal-Mart studies HEB for lesson in

FYI Trader Joe/s just entered the market with one at the quarry and the second being built in Stone Oak.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Thank you for the link, it was an interesting read. I was unaware they were modeling themselves after HEB, or at the very least, changing the way the handle fresh food from what they had to what HEB has. However I personally am still not a fan of HEB.

I think I must be confusing Trader Joes with some other store, some one please remind me, about 15 years ago, we had HEB, Fiestas, Handy Andy, Albertsons, then there was another one, very similar to Handy Andys.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:05 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Let's see in my short lifetime I've seen San Antonio have; HEB, Kroger, Texans, Albertsons, Handy Andy, Sun harvest, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader joes, Wal mart , Target, and Waitz model market. I've never been to a fiesta supermarket here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio