Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times

Advertisements

Recently I went to Moderator cut: see comment on Perrin Beitel rd and wound up spending more than what I should've IMO. I only went for an oil change and new front brake pads. Everyone else there was told that their vehicles had "something else" wrong along with the original problem as was I. Since I am not a car expert I wasn't sure whether to believe them or not specially when they tell you, "C'mere...I have to show you something". A woman who was there before me told me she had been shown 3 "other problems" with her car which was 5 years old. I have encountered similar problems at other auto repair shops before and sometimes I tell them that they can't BS me making them think I am knowledgable about cars. I think sting operations should be conducted just like Behind the kitchen door inpections are and expose some of these crooked repair shops. Yes? They used to have them before to make ppl aware of such places.

Last edited by Bo; 09-19-2011 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Can't name a business, since City-Data is not the right place for consumer complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 01:11 PM

4,328 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Best thing to do in a situation like that is tell them you aren't prepared to have the work done at this time, and ask them for a detailed written quote for the recommended work. Tell them you would be bringing it back at a later date, when you are better prepared to have the work done (finacially, time-wise, etc.). Then take the vehicle to another shop, and ask them to check whatever it was the first shop recommended needed servicing. Don't tell them you took it elsewhere. If they recommend repairs, tell them to give you a detailed written quote, then compare it with what the first shop's quote. If the scope of recommended work is similar, then the first shop was likely being honest.

As far as "Behind the Kitchen Door", those aren't really "stings". Those are TV news reports of recent routine inspections of food service establishments conducted by the City's Metro Health Department. They cull through those reports filed by health inspectors, select a few of them, then the TV news reporter does an in-person visit to the food establishment, in an attempt to discuss the results of their recent inspection on camera with the establishment's manager or owner.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:28 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
I think WOAI did an auto repair shop sting a few months back

Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,299 times
When you need a oil change on your vehicle,...you go to a business that does oil changes,...if you go to a brake repair shop for an oil change,...they are gonna try to sell you on their business,...brakes,...suspension,..etc,...it's just "business". Maybe you do need what was suggested,...get a second opinion. By the way,..for oil changes,...I suggest going to Pit Pros on Naco,..I don't trust any brake shops,...I'll do it myself,....

Old 09-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
I went to Moderator cut: see comment because my left front pads were making the "Replace me noise." They told me I needed a front end alignment and rear wheel bearings. I told them to just replace pads and shoes. They found a leaky wheel cylinder and replaced that too. Three months later the left front caliper came loose and rested on the disk. The bolts had worked loose and were gone. I got some at pick and pull and that fixed it. I decided to check the other side. The pads were almost to the point of needing replacing. They didn't replace them! I am back to being my own mechanic again.

Last edited by Bo; 09-19-2011 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Can't name a business, since City-Data is not the right place for consumer complaints.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:27 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I went to Moderator cut: see comment because my left front pads were making the "Replace me noise." They told me I needed a front end alignment and rear wheel bearings. I told them to just replace pads and shoes. They found a leaky wheel cylinder and replaced that too. Three months later the left front caliper came loose and rested on the disk. The bolts had worked loose and were gone. I got some at pick and pull and that fixed it. I decided to check the other side. The pads were almost to the point of needing replacing. They didn't replace them! I am back to being my own mechanic again.
I heard that!

Last edited by Bo; 09-19-2011 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
I went on a job interview a few years ago to be a Moderator cut: see comment manager. Their number one rule was SELL, SELL, SELL. I wouldn't take the job, and will never take my car to Brake Check. Their "mechanics" do not stay long, and most are relatively inexperienced. Their business practices are HORRIBLE.

I once had a bad experience at Moderator cut: see comment when I went to buy new tires on a six month old car. I was buying tires that soon, because the OEM tires were TERRIBLE in the rain. I had some new Michelins put on, and they gave me a list of "problems", including CV joint boots, struts, and battery. I kept that car for eight years, and the only thing that was changed was the battery FIVE years later.

Last edited by Bo; 09-19-2011 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Can't name a business, since City-Data is not the right place for consumer complaints.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Best thing to do in a situation like that is tell them you aren't prepared to have the work done at this time, and ask them for a detailed written quote for the recommended work. Tell them you would be bringing it back at a later date, when you are better prepared to have the work done (finacially, time-wise, etc.). Then take the vehicle to another shop, and ask them to check whatever it was the first shop recommended needed servicing. Don't tell them you took it elsewhere. If they recommend repairs, tell them to give you a detailed written quote, then compare it with what the first shop's quote. If the scope of recommended work is similar, then the first shop was likely being honest.

As far as "Behind the Kitchen Door", those aren't really "stings". Those are TV news reports of recent routine inspections of food service establishments conducted by the City's Metro Health Department. They cull through those reports filed by health inspectors, select a few of them, then the TV news reporter does an in-person visit to the food establishment, in an attempt to discuss the results of their recent inspection on camera with the establishment's manager or owner.
Actually that's what I did after the 2nd "C'mere I have to show you something." line. I told him just fix what I can afford right now and DON'T SHOW ME ANYTHING ELSE. I didn't have time to take my vehicle anywhere else since I was starting a new job which required the constant use of my vehicle. I guess I should've just gone to the nearest tire shop that does only what I tell them to. The only problem there is they don't give warranties. Oh well...another lesson learned.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Some posts above were edited. The TOS says City-Data is "not the right place for consumer complaints." You can post about your experience at a local shop, but you can't name the shop in your post.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
I hear what ya'll are saying.....but to be honest, I'm listening with a grain of salt. I've seen few mention that they are qualified mechanics, or that subsequent inspections by same turned up bad advice. That's not to say that I don't believe you - but you're using really flimsy "evidence" to condemn someone.

I DO know what a well-used brake pad looks like, and have done some pretty extensive mechanical work over the years (to include complete engine tear-downs and overhauls, tranny rebuilds, etc), and can tell you that there are times the preventative maintenance can save you a ton of money - and sometimes the defects can really only be seen by experienced eyes.

What I WOULD suggest is what was earlier - go by a few shops you WANT to use, have them look at a potential repair and ask their thoughts/recommendations. Be specific as to what you want inspected, because it wouldn't be fair to ask them to invest a large amount of time just so you can "evaluate" them. Be prepared to pay a nominal fee (within reason) for the service. Then take it to a shop/dealer you KNOW you can trust but wouldn't normally use because of the distance they are from you, etc. - and ask them to check the same part WITHOUT telling them you've had it done elsewhere.

Compare the two. If they're reasonably the same, then you've found a good shop. When they come in with "I want to show you this....", then listen and evaluate. Tell them honestly if you're turning the job down because of your budget. I've had shops off to split up the bill to let me pay the balance in a few weeks because to put it off and go back to do it later can often result in additional labor/parts costs (i.e. - putting in new pads, but the bearings are making noises - replace them NOW before they fail completely!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio