Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 PM

417 posts, read 815,907 times

Advertisements

I actually have THREE cats. One of them - my hunter, who used to kill and eat mice for me when I lived in Iowa (I can't seem to get away from pests, whether it's spiders, scorpions or mice!) - sniffed it and ran away. The other two didn't do anything. Maybe because they didn't grow up in Texas, they aren't sure about what to do with scorpions...

I lived in Oklahoma too, and I experienced the spider problems. My apartment was loaded with recluses, and occasionally a big gigantic spider would come in. I HATE spiders. Not that I like scorpions, but for some reason they don't creep me out quite as much as spiders.

I will check out Early Bird Pest Control and some of the other products everyone mentioned. Hopefully my cats will decide that they want to kill scorpions. I sure hope so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
I didn't know cats could chase and munch on scorpions! Good kitties! I wish I had a cat.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:08 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Just found one inside and one outside.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 6,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I got a cat because of scorpions. Typical pest control did not seem like it was doing the job. She has become an expert killer and the only scorpion we have seen this year was one on the garage wall which Mr. X stomped to death. Otherwise Kitty X has done a great job at killing them. Just don't like picking up hairballs with scorpion bits in it.
-------
my goodness... hairballs with scorpion bits... yuck! but i am still thinking of getting a few kitties

Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 AM

123 posts, read 257,988 times
Our Manx used to do a great job of killing scorpions. Our bug guy said the they are hard to kill with most pesticides because they need to be sprayed directly or crawl through the residue during the first week or so after spraying. He suggested diatomaceous earth, which someone else already suggested. Be sure not to inhale the DE when you are putting it down.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 PM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times
This is a true story, I got a scorpion with a mouse trap that had peanut butter on it. We saw a mouse in our house so I bought some mouse traps and set them about the house. One night I heard one go off when I was going to bed. I figured I would check it the next day and see if I got the mouse. Much to my surprise there was a dead scorpion cut in half by the trap, and embedded in the paenut butter.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
I saw a scorpion sting a mouse and kill it. Mouse was floppin' around and shaking before he went to wherever mouse souls go.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
we haven't seen *any* critters (except a skunk that ran at me, omg) since Early Bird came out. Thank you Lord!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 PM

894 posts, read 1,545,948 times
My newly built house has had way too many and the regular store bought pesticide wasn't killing any of them. On advice of others I bought Demon WP off the Internet and it is killing them. I know only find the occasional dead one...never found them dead before. And the frequency is declining so I think we are on the right trend.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
My newly built house has had way too many and the regular store bought pesticide wasn't killing any of them. On advice of others I bought Demon WP off the Internet and it is killing them. I know only find the occasional dead one...never found them dead before. And the frequency is declining so I think we are on the right trend.

After I posted about kitty X killing scorpions suddenly after the change of weather we got FIVE scorpions in the house. I guess Kitty X changed her diet from scorpions to snakes in the recent months.

Mr. X bought Demon pesticide at the Tractor Supply store and he sprayed. Then we started getting a surge of dying scorpions (I believe they were dying) trying to get into the house via garage. We topped up with Terminex guy and the only scorpion we saw was outside on our little patio begging to get in but got the stomp of death.

I have to say the Demon pesticide must have worked because the scorpions I found were slow moving and tails flat. Then when we topped up a month later I think we aggravated the ones that did not go through the pesticide and ended up dying shortly after.

I noticed though that when September and October roll around that is when I see the influx of scorpions. I never see them in the winter or summer months. We also noticed that when my neighbor sprays we get them running our way and vice versa. So we have teamed up and decided to get both houses sprayed around the same time as one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio