Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,593 times

Advertisements

I have a retired father that needs a companion. Family visits daily but looking for a calm trained dog to keep him company when we can't be there. He is looking for the "right" dog. Where can I look? I live in San Antonio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Personally, I'd suggest taking your Dad with you to some of the local shelters and see which dog adopts him! You'd be surprised sometimes how animals will seek out a specific person, and the magic that ensues is amazing. Training can be done with any dog - the trick is to find a good match!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Please rescue a dog, and avoid buying one! Yesterday at Petsmart there were 2 dozen wonderful dogs, waiting to be adopted. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:41 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Animal Defense League, San Antonio Animal Control, SNIPSA, all good shelters. Please adopt!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Definitely adopt an adult dog...his/her temperament will be established and apparent. Also, it's such a low cost option, and, he/she will be payed/neutered and chipped!

Visit a few shelters, talk with the people there, they will help you.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Personally, I'd suggest taking your Dad with you to some of the local shelters and see which dog adopts him! You'd be surprised sometimes how animals will seek out a specific person, and the magic that ensues is amazing. Training can be done with any dog - the trick is to find a good match!

Exactly! As the proud owner of two shelter dogs I would only recommend shelter dogs!

Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

This! Take him to a few shelters and have him interact with the them. There are some places that have a "matching" or lawn area for people who want to interact outside of the cage area. This is a great are to see how your dad and dog would interact with other stimulus around. I've adopted and fostered rescue and abused shelter dogs since I could be able to afford to house them. I saw plenty of dogs with a wonderful temperment for those who want a companion dog.

I did something similar for my grandfather before he passed a few years ago. I took him to various shelters and wound up finding a beautiful mutt for him. Half pit/half border collie named Pixie. While my grandfather was a little put off at first, once they both went out to the "matching" area, it was done. We found her. And she was with him all the way until my grandfather was no longer with us.

It's important though to get the right fit for your father and the dog within your environment. I would go older, maybe 4 or 5 and up. The dog will have it's personality and temperment known. Look into the breed and the amount of exercise it will need. There are some breeds, no matter the age who will need exercise at least twice daily and some that can get away with running around in the yard during the day. So think about those factors. Most shelters either can have training classes or know where to get them. Good luck OP.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
I recommend Cressie's Animal Rescue. They rescue animals that are about to be euthanized at ACS. They house train them and rehab them before they are adopted out. Many of the dogs that come out of shelters have emotional problems because it's stressful being in a kennel with dozens of other barking dogs from weeks to, sometimes, months. Of course, ACS doesn't keep dogs long before they put them down, but some of the no-kill shelters have had dogs for years. Cressie's Animal Rescue (CARE) will also do the leg work for you going around to the various shelters to find a suitable dog.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 PM

417 posts, read 816,368 times
I agree with all of the posters who recommend checking out some animal shelters. Call me a bleeding heart, but I love animals and while I'm a cat owner instead of a dog owner, every single wonderful cat I've chosen since 1988 has come from a shelter. I don't remember the exact saying, but it's something like this: you won't change the world by adopting a dog, but you will change the world for that dog.

Instead of purchasing a dog, you could take your dad to a shelter and if he finds a dog that isn't totally trained, you could pay for the training courses as a gift for your dad.

Pets are great for seniors - your dad will adore whatever dog adopts him.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
Why not check with a rescue group? They often have dogs in foster homes, and foster families get to know the dog and the dog's personality. They'll know if the dog is well socialized, tolerates children under 6 years of age, likes other dogs, hates cats, barks when left alone, etc. My next dog will come from a Rescue group, as I really want a dog who is not afraid of big dogs and tolerates children.

Lastly, I would offer up that some dogs are not "themselves" in a shelter. Shelters can be frightening places for a dog who is normally calm and quiet. Don't cross-out shelters as a resource, but understand that they are not a natural environment for some dogs. Best of luck with the search. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: