Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,802 times

Advertisements

This is a little late, but I didn't see it until now.

If you drive up beyond the stop line, and you are the only car at the light, the light will not change. You drove off the end of the sensor, and the signal no longer knows you are there. It won't change until another car comes up behind you and stays on the sensor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Sorry I'm late to the game on this as well.

All of the signals on the 281 Superstreet are operated by the City of San Antonio, not TxDOT. TxDOT ceds operations of nearly all of their signals within the San Antonio city limits to CoSA. So report all issues to 311.

A cycle time of 5 minutes is *way* too long and does indicate a malfunction. Most likely, the vehicle detector needed adjusting or replacing. Running a light that a reasonable person would perceive as malfunctioning-- as long as it is done safely-- is defensible in court. It would especially help the defendant's case if they can show they reported the malfunction and, if possible, get a report from the city showing that they made a repair to the signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
I still am not sold on the "exit" for the 1604 to 151 intersection, but I guess we'll see soon.
So now that it's been in operation for a while, what's your impression? Most folks I've spoken to love it. Also keep in mind that it was also a necessary precursor to the overpass project that gets started out there soon.

Quote:
Speaking of traffic... What the hell was the point of creating a lone left-turn lane at Old Tezel and New Guilbeau to only remove it a month later? Not only to mention the less than a year old sidewalk that was destroyed to add the left turn lane that is perpendicular to that intersection?!? I really don't understand TxDot.
That wasn't a TxDOT project, it was CoSA. I've been meaning to ask someone about that... I'll see what I can find out.

Last edited by TexHwyMan; 04-02-2012 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Spelling corrections

Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityTiger View Post
I'm kind of changing the subject here...but I just have to say that I LOVE the new super street on 1604 from Shaenfield to Bandera
Agreed. I drive that stretch of road taking my high school swimmer to practice every morning and every evening and it's definitely better. Weekend driving up that way is actually tolerable now. If they'd got rid of the northbound left hand turn onto Braun it would be much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
But now it makes me wonder why in this effort to reduce the number of traffic lights in this area, there is an increase in lights just south on the same stretch of road. The addition of the light at Emory Peak is ridiculous, why can't those people drive the 0.6 miles south to the light at Marbach before turning north? It is what people in the area of the superstreet are subjected to do, and it would allow traffic to flow unimpeded from Marbach all the way to Potranco. The elimination of this light would benefit the greater good as well, instead of a select few who would be subjected to a whooping 39 second drive (according to GoogleMaps) to the turnaround at Marbach!

Cheers! M2
Yeah that one is a real head scratcher.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM

229 posts, read 473,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post

All of the signals on the 281 Superstreet are operated by the City of San Antonio, not TxDOT. TxDOT ceds operations of nearly all of their signals within the San Antonio city limits to CoSA. So report all issues to 311.

A cycle time of 5 minutes is *way* too long and does indicate a malfunction. Most likely, the vehicle detector needed adjusting or replacing. Running a light that a reasonable person would perceive as malfunctioning-- as long as it is done safely-- is defensible in court. It would especially help the defendant's case if they can show they reported the malfunction and, if possible, get a report from the city showing that they made a repair to the signal.

So now that it's been in operation for a while, what's your impression? Most folks I've spoken to love it. Also keep in mind that it was also a necessary precursor to the overpass project that gets started out there soon.

That wasn't a TxDOT project, it was CoSA. I've been meaning to ask someone about that... I'll see what I can find out.
I do like the 151/1604 intersection...except for the folks that are on the access road from Culebra who feel it's imperative that they zip all the way to the left lane as soon as they can. There is plenty of time to move over, but it's just the mentality of drivers here I guess. One of the peeves I have of the superstreet is when coming off the turn-around between Braun and Guilbeau (southbound), you have to average about 68 MPH to keep from getting caught at BOTH the Shanefield light and the turn around before it. It's a pain and I wish they would time it for about 60 MPH. Thankfully almost everyone gets in the left lane, so I get the right lane all to myself!

When you talk to CoSA, ask them why they feel the need to make the Old Tezel @ Guilbeau southbound light stay green FOR SO LONG!?! It has the least amount of traffic, but it stays green entirely too long!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:

I dont like the 151/1604 interchange, that turn is too sharp, and is only a matter of time when either a cement truck, or a dump truck take that turn so fast (beat that light) and its going to make a mess. I also dislike the fact of the 20mph speed limit for the people that are merging onto 1604 South (coming from culebra). While its easy for passenger cars to adjust their speed, its a pain in the ass to go from 40 mph to 20 back to 55 on a somewhat steep hill with a full load.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I dont like the 151/1604 interchange, that turn is too sharp, and is only a matter of time when either a cement truck, or a dump truck take that turn so fast (beat that light) and its going to make a mess. I also dislike the fact of the 20mph speed limit for the people that are merging onto 1604 South (coming from culebra). While its easy for passenger cars to adjust their speed, its a pain in the ass to go from 40 mph to 20 back to 55 on a somewhat steep hill with a full load.
Well, the current setup is only temporary until the underpass gets built starting later this year. It's better than the left turn that was there before IMO.

Where is there a 20 mph speed limit there?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Where is there a 20 mph speed limit there?
I went out there and took a look. The 20 mph limit is the advisory limit for the curve. As such, it's technically not a speed limit and, furthermore, only applies to traffic making the left turn to 151. So traffic going up to 1604 southbound theoretically should be able to keep at speed (~40 mph).

Old 04-04-2012, 04:58 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
I'm thankful for that overpass thats about to be built! not to mention that 211 project as well. What about the groshenbacker st expansion? Is it supposed to connect to Cottonwood way/Wiseman?

I suspect they are going to start building that road in front of the walmart on Potranco/1604 to connect to 1604 am I right? I've been taking sewer rock to the vicinity.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I'm thankful for that overpass thats about to be built! not to mention that 211 project as well. What about the groshenbacker st expansion? Is it supposed to connect to Cottonwood way/Wiseman?
Yes, Grossenbacher is supposed to connect to Cottonwood Way someday. But I haven't seen it on anybody's plans for the near future.

Quote:
I suspect they are going to start building that road in front of the walmart on Potranco/1604 to connect to 1604 am I right? I've been taking sewer rock to the vicinity.
I wasn't able to find the plat for that development online anywhere, but looking at how the land has been subdivided, it looks like it will connect to 1604 about 1/2 mile south of Potranco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio