Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:27 PM

204 posts, read 334,561 times

Advertisements

Hate to say it man, but Library Science and Psychology? You can't expect much with those degrees alone, so you're working completely off of your limited experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,609,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Hate to say it man, but Library Science and Psychology? You can't expect much with those degrees alone, so you're working completely off of your limited experience.
its slightly better than a liberal arts major LOL!

or ANY art degree ROFL!

/still laughs my ass off at people who pay for a liberal arts degree..

Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM

204 posts, read 334,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
its slightly better than a liberal arts major LOL!

or ANY art degree ROFL!

/still laughs my ass off at people who pay for a liberal arts degree..
I suppose.

People that pay for those degrees are fine if they a) have money to burn and b) don't care about finding anything in the way of a moderately good paying job with it.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
I suppose.

People that pay for those degrees are fine if they a) have money to burn and b) don't care about finding anything in the way of a moderately good paying job with it.
very true. my retard half sister in law is hell-bent on getting a lib arts degree. sure, her daddy has SOME money, but not enough for her to get a worthless degree AND sponge off him afterwards.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:05 PM

41 posts, read 88,591 times
The psych degree was a form of therapy to get over my dysfunctional upbringing. So I considered it a good investment. And actually, there is such a thing as a social sciences librarian. If I were willing to relocate, it would be a different story.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSPeachtree81 View Post
Dexcat, you don't know what you're talking about... one of our daughters has a liberal arts degree and works for a government contractor, supporting herself just fine. By the way, we paid the first years; she got scholarships and worked to pay the other two.
the problem is, the vast majority of jobs that require a lib arts degree can be done without one. money well spent!

http://www.businesspundit.com/20-luc...l-arts-degree/

the overwhelming majority of jobs listed in the link posted just want a degree of some sorts, not specifically a lib arts degree. most actually prefer a degree in the field but would accept any degree if no candidates with a relevant degree were available.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
Imagine if you had put thousands of dollars into a mutual fund at the age of 18-23 instead of using it for college.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
THIS or social work. there are no shortage of social work jobs in SA. the wife was thinking about going into social work (starting around 70k), but the debt she would incur in college tuitions was insane and made it not worth it.
I have been looking for a full rime social work position since February of this year. There is a shortage of these jobs because of funding troubles. Unless of course you're talking about hospital sw.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 AM

941 posts, read 1,906,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I think you need to brush up on your communications skills first. Express what you have to offer and what you are looking for.

- I have my bachelors in XXXX from XXXXXX
- I have my masters in XXXX from XXXXX
- i have X number of years experience in this field
- I am looking for work in these fields.
- I am looking for something in this salary range

I hope your masters is from a real university and not a for-profit college. University of Phoenix is a website not a institution of higher learning. Or if your college was in a shopping center...that isn't a university either.

How are we going to help you if you dont give any general details of your situation?
Wow, kinda harsh, and very inaccurate......

My brother in-law has a great job and he graduated at U of Phoenix.....quit knocking down someone you have no idea about......

Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,952,912 times
As someone who has reviewed hundreds of resumes during my 14+ year career, I can tell you that the "online" university is becoming accepted among companies. Yes, there are diploma mills that provide the paper for cash, but schools like the University of Phoenix are held to the same standards as the University of Texas. While their methods may be different (some may say radically so), the quality of graduates is much like you'd see at a normal bricks-and-mortar school: Some students are great, others are not. (Think about it...how many "college graduates" couldn't think their way out of a cardboard box?)

While working here in San Antonio, I have had to realize that the market here is different from other similarly-large cities. For example, there is a broader, lower-level service economy (call centers, medical billing, etc.) and the market for higher-level professionals is pretty competitive. That said, there are jobs out there, but you need a certain skill set to go after them. A degree in underwater basketweaving is not going to get you much attention when applying for a job as director of operations at a reputable company. So, bottom line: Go for the education that helps you land the job you want...not the education that checks a box.

Full disclosure: I have a bachelor's from UOP and my master's from Norwich University (founded in 1819 as the second military school in the US--West Point was first--and known as the birthplace of the ROTC). Both schools had pros and cons, and I can tell you that the Norwich program was very challenging.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio