Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:50 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
In this economy, I'm grateful I have something when there are countless more in this city who aren't even making more than $10.00 an hour!
I am grateful indeed...got a job before the other one ended. Some of my colleagues aren't so lucky and with all the education cuts, they will need to find something else in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
People can say SA has a good job market all they want...but even the locals know it just isn't true (they just don't wanna say it).
Speaking from experience, you have find your inner circle/network so to speak. I'm in non profit (still after switching fields from admin support to accounting) and everyone knows everyone but I can't stay in non profit because the only way to get really good pay is to go for profit or go into the managerial side which is something I don't want to do. It's either entry level or higher level and mid level folks at non profits usually stay somewhere a long time. At that point, I'm going to have to use my non profit connections that have contact in the for profit world to find something else. It is tough, for sure.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:47 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Actually, there IS a good job market in SA. Part of the challenge is finding folks qualified to fill them. We routinely let folks go from jobs that start @ $14/hr because they can't comply with the above....especially being to work on time each day.
$14/hour is a good job? Maybe for most people in San Antonio.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 3,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
$14/hour is a good job? Maybe for most people in San Antonio.
Yeah I wouldn't consider that a "good" job at all, unless you lack a college degree.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,856 times
Quote:
This would have been true 5 years ago. However, in the year 2011, with nearly 15 million Americans out of work, this notion is flawed as many college-educated individuals are competing for mediocre jobs with others who comprise the 15 million Americans who are out of work (not counting the underemployed either).

San Antonio just doesn't have a good market in comparison to other cities our size. They aren't coming to San Antonio because of our "excellent" job market. They are coming here because they want to live more cheaply here since our standard of living is more affordable than other cities.
First of all, it is worth noting that as of September, the unemployment rate of those with a college degree is 4.5%.

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

Like I said previously, before you blame "the city", "the transplants" etc, you need to look at yourself and decide what you can do to improve your situation.

It is worth repeating: San Antonio may have a great number of citizens who are not eligible to get a "good job", but that does not mean, by extension, that those who are eligible to get a "good job" cannot find a "good job" in San Antonio, only that there are many people in San Antonio who are not eligible for "good jobs" in San Antonio, or elsewhere.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:01 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
The underemployment rate would include those working at $14-an-hour jobs.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Bottom line, if your pay rate makes you "who you are" then you should not be in San Antonio... Unless you are one of those greedy Valero execs. In that case, you win and your feet are destined to be kissed by many suit-wearing neograds. Congrats, your world is awesome and everyone shall bow down as you toss occasional gratis tickets to your underlings for the ball games you choose not to attend.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
San Antonio IS a low-wage jobs city.. now. I would absolutely second that. But of course, there are still good paying jobs. Just gotta look harder. Something to consider before you move to SA. It is what it is.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Really? Someone with no experience, no skills and no background - and $14/hr isn't enticing?

Yeah.....Houston, we've found the problem!

I started in this industry many years ago with a GED. Today, I manage to survive w/a 6-figure income. Guess that's lousy wages......

exactly. doesn't sound great. which again is why not as many educated more qualified people will move to sa for jobs that pay $14/hr. or less. this thread is about sa lacking jobs btw.

or could work for the micromanage company that's usaa and make $15/ hr. ha

Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
People can say SA has a good job market all they want...but even the locals know it just isn't true (they just don't wanna say it).

Like I said, I'm a local...born and raised here...but I'm not gonna sugarcoat it and say everyone comes to SA for the jobs. It's just not true.
People ARE coming here and other Texas cities for jobs because they believe the misinformation they hear on the news. The Texas unemployment rate continues to go up; it is now at 8.4%. If we keep going at this rate, we'll soon match the national unemployment rate. While we were doing better than much of the country on the unemployment rate, we still had too many Texans out of work. Just because we have this impressive job creation number, our government officials feel the need to brag to the rest of the country that we have jobs for them. Now, we have this huge influx of transplants coming raising our unemployment rate and competing with Texans for jobs. I believe most of these people fall into two categories:

1. They are getting the jobs for which Texans can't qualify for whatever reason.

2. They come here without a job thinking they're going find one quickly and end up being a burden on local charities.

I posted an article here earlier this year about how the San Antonio Food Bank is seeing more and more people from other states asking for help. People think that Texas is the land of milk and honey when half of the states have lower unemployment rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio