Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM

104 posts, read 216,739 times

Advertisements

To be in the 10% at Johnson (my kids a Sr) you need an average of 112-114!!
My child has a 93 avg with 3 AP classes and is only in the mid 200s out of 613 seniors!
Talk about competitive !!! Worth it tho, well rounded kid, great teachers and very prepared to college!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 04:44 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times
To be honest the only reason I was in the top 5% of my high school (this was in AZ) was because I went to a school where half the kids were probably just happy to graduate.

Being in that top 5% got me a full merit-based scholarship to the University of Arizona.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:52 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
As a graduate of Reagan High School who went to one of the top schools in the nation on the East Coast, I have to say.....public Texas high schools do NOT prepare you for college. College will still be one of the most difficult things you've done, depending on which college you go to.

It's important to keep in mind that the hardest part of college is NOT getting in, but kicking butt & getting great grades while there.

Don't mean to temper peoples' opinions, but just wanted to inject a bit of level-headedness here.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:38 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
As a graduate of Reagan High School who went to one of the top schools in the nation on the East Coast, I have to say.....public Texas high schools do NOT prepare you for college. College will still be one of the most difficult things you've done, depending on which college you go to.

It's important to keep in mind that the hardest part of college is NOT getting in, but kicking butt & getting great grades while there.

Don't mean to temper peoples' opinions, but just wanted to inject a bit of level-headedness here.

I don't know about that...I bet if you ask students from ANY high school the majority will say they weren't prepared for college.

I had the opposite situation -- went (correction, partied my way through) one of the crappiest high schools in Cow-Tipping USA where the teachers regularly told us we would not survive college, and then they would buy us beer. But I found college -- and yes, I also attended a pretty competitive , private, four-year school -- easy. And by that, I mean the assignments and getting good grades was easy. Keeping up with the work load, while working two or three jobs, was hell.

I think if you can think out of the box and write really great essays, keep up with the assignments, hold off on the partying and avoid any type of math , college can be a breeze. Think many struggle because they are too busy enjoying their first taste of freedom and have no time-management skills. After four years at my high school, I was in a perpetual hangover and ready to quite the partying for a few years.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
avoid any type of math , college can be a breeze.
No disrespect intended, but isn't lack of math and science a problem in our late, great country?

Go U.S.A.! Carry on the tradition from high school to college and we'll have another great generation of unemployed writers.

High schools aren't too big... the standards are too low. Even at the better ones!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
No disrespect intended, but isn't lack of math and science a problem in our late, great country?

Go U.S.A.! Carry on the tradition from high school to college and we'll have another great generation of unemployed writers.

High schools aren't too big... the standards are too low. Even at the better ones!
that was just a personal joke --- I hate math. Not trying to start a movement or anything. You can put the guns away now.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 8,749 times
Interestingly, I see enrollment dropped in that area between 2008 and now. Recession, anyone? lol. Ok, not funny, but I imagine homes were lost due to foreclosures and so the family had to leave. It's just a guess here. Ok, back to work here..have a great day.

Source: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/sc...16/school.aspx

Last edited by SASucksSometimes; 09-30-2011 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Added Source

Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 AM

here's something interesting -- in NEISD students have to be able to read when they enter the first grade. A month back a school on the southside was on the news for some reason -- I think it was about that H-E-B book drive -- and a superintendent said children in that district have to be able to read by the third grade. That's a huge difference.

Last edited by Beretta; 10-02-2011 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: quoted post was deleted

Old 09-30-2011, 09:22 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASucksSometimes View Post
Interestingly, I see enrollment dropped in that area between 2008 and now. Recession, anyone? lol. Ok, not funny, but I imagine homes were lost due to foreclosures and so the family had to leave. It's just a guess here. Ok, back to work here..have a great day.

Source: Reagan High School, San Antonio Texas / TX School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

The reason for the drop in Reagan's enrollment is that Johnson High School opened up that year to relieve the overcrowding.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 8,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
The reason for the drop in Reagan's enrollment is that Johnson High School opened up that year to relieve the overcrowding.
and why I guessed Thanks for the info..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio