U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 PM

8 posts, read 11,732 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing wonderful things about Bush middle and Reagan high. I am concerned with their academics, not sports, etc. Is it truly worth going there or are they too big? There can be some drawbacks to being a large school. I'm currently in Comal isd but am considering moving to NEISD...Bush/Reagan area. Worth it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,474,177 times
Reagan is the best performing non-magnet school in Bexar County.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 11,732 times
I thought so. Thanks for confirming.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 AM

6,882 posts, read 19,228,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmrt View Post
I keep hearing wonderful things about Bush middle and Reagan high. I am concerned with their academics, not sports, etc. Is it truly worth going there or are they too big? There can be some drawbacks to being a large school. I'm currently in Comal isd but am considering moving to NEISD...Bush/Reagan area. Worth it?
I'm a product of a very large "outstanding" high school much like Reagan, if not better. (Kingwood High School, suburb of Houston, my graduating class had 1,014 kids). Unfortunately, I would have done better in a smaller setting. I had no interaction whatsoever with my guidance counselor or principal; I was merely a number. We were very much like cattle. I did fine, but I often wish I could have had an opportunity at a smaller school. I got lost. It was a bit miserable.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 AM

4,369 posts, read 5,522,633 times
You should have seen it before Johnson opened. I thought Comal ISD was considered great as well.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,454,915 times
San Antonio Reagan has 2460 students for the 2011-2012 school year.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 AM

6,882 posts, read 19,228,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
San Antonio Reagan has 2460 students for the 2011-2012 school year.

Oh, that's not that bad. It's not great, but not bad.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:18 AM

321 posts, read 1,000,551 times
The academics at Reagan are great. My wife is in the college of liberal arts at UTSA and informal surveys in the past have revealed that Reagan, Alamo Heights and the magnet schools consistently produce kids that are very well prepared for college. She's mentioned several other area high schools that have good programs as well, but I just stated the ones I recalled.

There are drawbacks though. My kid is not at Reagan yet, but a consensus I've often heard from other parents is that it is difficult for your kid to stand out academically. In past year's editions of Welcome Home - Stone Oak area edition, Welcome Home, San Antonio, it has been reported that about 1/2 of Reagan's approximately 600 Seniors graduate with honors. For those trying to get into that coveted top 10%, to get automatic admission into a state-funded university, this can get stressful. A neighbor of mine has a studious daughter who has a 95 average, but is only ranked around 100 and only the top 60 or so are ten percenters. The kid worries that she won't get into UT or A&M so the parents have had to try to convince her that there are other great universities as well. I've even heard of some parents joking that they'll transfer their kids to other high schools near graduation to try and get a higher rank.

I haven't heard of the overall size being an issue. You find your niche and/or organizations that you like and it doesn't seem big anymore.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:51 AM

30 posts, read 76,997 times
"For those trying to get into that coveted top 10%, to get automatic admission into a state-funded university, this can get stressful. A neighbor of mine has a studious daughter who has a 95 average, but is only ranked around 100 and only the top 60 or so are ten percenters. The kid worries that she won't get into UT or A&M so the parents have had to try to convince her that there are other great universities as well. I've even heard of some parents joking that they'll transfer their kids to other high schools near graduation to try and get a higher rank"

My child goes to Johnson High School (2750 students this year!).. and I overheard a parent saying the same thing in one of the meetings... hhhmmmm!... I might have to consider this..

Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,347,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mis2princesas View Post
"For those trying to get into that coveted top 10%, to get automatic admission into a state-funded university, this can get stressful. A neighbor of mine has a studious daughter who has a 95 average, but is only ranked around 100 and only the top 60 or so are ten percenters. The kid worries that she won't get into UT or A&M so the parents have had to try to convince her that there are other great universities as well. I've even heard of some parents joking that they'll transfer their kids to other high schools near graduation to try and get a higher rank"

My child goes to Johnson High School (2750 students this year!).. and I overheard a parent saying the same thing in one of the meetings... hhhmmmm!... I might have to consider this..
You mean kids may transfer schools for reasons other than athletics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio