Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:52 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times

Advertisements

And then you have classic cities out there that likely gave SA's Riverwalk inspiration as it was being built, like Amsterdam or Zurich. Beautiful canal systems in both. Well-integrated into the city.

I do know that Chicago has tried to implement a river-level of entertainment options, but it hasn't been embraced too well. Former Mayor Daley even went as far as to pass laws demanding that any new building going up on the Chicago River must have river-level walkways. I think it just ended up being a logistical nightmare to try to connect everything. What makes SA's Riverwalk so amazing is how natural and seamless it looks... As if it's been a part of the city forever. Instead of a cement hole, as most newer riverwalks appear to be, ours is beautiful, green and expansive. It's one of the many things about this city that I never take for granted. Quite unique.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 03:37 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Pictures Taken By mrstxcop.........

Riverwalk Extension Pics...9/26/2009...Pic Heavy
Yesterday dh took us to see the new section of the Riverwalk ... I was very impressed ... here are some pictures to share ...

Breathstakingly beautiful pictures , but regarding OK riverwalks the OKC Bricktown canal and the Tulsa Pearl District canal are in separate cities . The Okc canal is going to be expanded by I believe 1 mile .......and Tulsa OK is building several retaining ponds for their's canal which will be built at a later date and is called the Pearl District Canal.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Default Venice Beach Canals

I'm pushed for time and will link the Venice Beach Canal today and the Long Beach California area Canals tomorrow...............

This 1913 color postcard shows boating at Coral Canal and the central lagoon - This is now the intersection of Main Street and the Venice Circle

Venice Canals
Venice, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
venice beach canal - Google Search

Discover the Venice Beach Canals - YouTube

Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 AM

108 posts, read 241,388 times
These added features are nice and long over due but where are the joggers,dog walkers,baby strollers,gift shops,bistros,artists and tourists?. I have lived here over 30 years and in the last 10 years I have been to the Riverwalk about 5 times that's once every 2 years and 2 of those times were because of out of town relatives. When I go to the Riverwalk I actually walk around the river then I go to a restraurant out of the downtown area that is a better bargain. It's like a been there done that attitude because Its true I have. Until there is more events or attractions going on I will probably still be considered a local tourist.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Gman and Howest... If ya'll ever get a chance to visit back I am sure you would be surprised at how much the Riverwalk has grown...

The expansion area is really nice... It's funny to me that OK is going to expand their "riverwalk" are and the new area is going to be called the Pearl Expansion... Because our new riverwalk expansion is out by the old Pearl Brewery... It's called Park at Pearl...

Here is a thread I started 2 years ago with some pictures of the expansion...

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...26-2009-a.html
Great pictures.... may have to return to SA for NYE again this year !!

G Man

Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 PM

23 posts, read 40,056 times
San Antonio, Tx has the "best" by far Riverwalk. They've done a remarkable job there over the years. Great resturants, shops, hotels, etc. Lots of fun to be on.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:27 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobralou View Post
These added features are nice and long over due but where are the joggers,dog walkers,baby strollers,gift shops,bistros,artists and tourists?. I have lived here over 30 years and in the last 10 years I have been to the Riverwalk about 5 times that's once every 2 years and 2 of those times were because of out of town relatives. When I go to the Riverwalk I actually walk around the river then I go to a restraurant out of the downtown area that is a better bargain. It's like a been there done that attitude because Its true I have. Until there is more events or attractions going on I will probably still be considered a local tourist.

Would love to see local restaurants instead of the usual chains, but otherwise, we love the new extension. The U-restaurant area isn't suitable for joggers/strollers/walkers, but for the Mission and Museum Reaches, we go every couple of weeks (and for cycling, at least once per week).

There are a few of us residents who use it regularly. I do agree the restaurants are better in Southtown, but people say they want chains...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:27 AM

245 posts, read 695,926 times
I live in OK City at the moment after moving here for a year from San Antonio... only went to Brick Town once and saw their copy cat River Walk. Boooooooorrring. Haven't been back down there since. (I don't want the San Antonio River Walk to feel that I am cheating on her). We CAN'T wait to get back to San Antonio and start going downtown again on the weekends, used to always love going down there, and we're going to really miss the International Accordion Festival this year!!

Monterrey, Mexico, also installed a copy cat River Walk modeled after San Antonio's... saw some pics of it and it looked pretty nice.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 AM

Default Long Beach ( Naples California ) Canals

Naples, Long Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Naples Island Canals-Long Beach California - YouTube
Romantic Gondola Cruise - Naples Canals - Long Beach Real Estate-Long Beach Condos
Naples, California, the town on the Canal
Gondola Getaway - Romantic, Entertaining Cruises in the Canals of Naples Is - Long Beach, CA

I have lived in Long Beach for a year and been to Venice Beach CA and the only Canals that can " Match San Antonio are Naples CA " both cities have Fantastic Urban Canals.....

Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
I just saw a movie on Netflix. It was set in London and there was a riverwalk. It looked like the riverwalk in sa where there were no restaurants, north of Texas theatre and Houston St. The movie is Michael Caine as Harry Brown and it is in the Action section of movies that can be seen streamed live. The movie was filmed in 2009 and there is an acknowledgement to staff and pupils at Queens Park Community School in London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio