Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,705,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
A Walmart expansion is completely legal. There is nothing wrong with it. If increasing numbers of residents are in a certain area...you better believe Walmart, CVS, banks, Starbucks et al will pop up. It's just the way things are.

I also do find it quite funny that it is ALWAYS those complaining about business expansion who have all these "convenient places" nearby when we have many areas of the city which lack access to a "convenient" HEB, SuperWalmart, or SuperTarget.

From Hildebrand Road all the way south into deep south-of-downtown...there is no grocery store...meanwhile people come on here and huff and puff about a Walmart popping up in there neighborhood when there any number of areas of the city which wish they could have a SuperWalmart, SuperTarget or an HEB.

Get real.

If one doesn't like this kind of thing...then they would be more suited for "country-living" out in the boonies far away from any kind of semblance of city life. Moving out there will surely solve the problem.

Oh wait, but then they wouldn't have an HEB, a drugstore, a gas station, or anything else nearby which they do rely on. They just don't want it in their neighborhood, I see.

Hey, it's gotta go somewhere.
I think they are saying we don't need wal mart in that specific area. There is no mention of any other store such as HEB. You are over-reacting.

I have to agree as wal mart isn't really a great addition anywhere. I never liked wal mart that much as that store kills off all other small businesses in any new area they open up in.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,955,303 times
I don't mind the store. If I lived close by, I would mind the traffic that it would generate at that intersection. I imagine the traffic patterns will be different there once the overpass and extension to 281 are built, so it might not be as bad a fit as it would be into the current intersection.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,678,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
There's a big open lot on Blanco Rd. between Vista View and Wurzbach Parkway. I heard a rumor from a friend of a friend that a deal just closed to put a Wal-Mart Supercenter there.

I have my doubts, because I don't believe that lot is big enough for a Wal-Mart, but my friend insists her friend is a reliable source.
So you are talking about the "roaring 20's area". I live in that area and frequent the parks in that specific area
There is no room. There is Hardberger Park and then tucked in that specific area is the Salado creek linar park. So the whole area is a flood zone on top of that...that is why it is a empty lot. I dont think anyone is allowed to build on it. Roaring 20's was built a long time ago.

And EVEN if there was room, which there isnt, I doubt zoning laws would allow heavy commercial area like that next to a city park.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 13,249 times
The lot in question is the one on blanco road and wurzbach with a side on Vista View. There was a discussion in our National Night out meeting that the property composed of two parts one being commercial the other multi-family...so a rezoning would be necessary for a Walmart to be built there from my understanding.

With the Park right next door - I would assume that the City San Antonio and the Phil Hardberger conservancy would NOT allow that type of construction to happen. Consequences such as run off, excessive traffic (smog/pollution) would adversely affect the Natural habitat that the city could continue to be proud of.

The city should just purchase the property and add it to the Park or leave it as is for future generations to enjoy.

Last edited by PfjJpf; 10-05-2011 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,518,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Looking up other local Walmart store addresses in San Antonio on BCAD, I couldn't find any that weren't owned by Walmart (I am talking about the real estate). The property listed in the above link is shown as being owned by a local investment partnership.

That suggests to me that Walmart isn't going in there. If it is indeed currently zoned Commercial Multi-family, that would generally be for something like apartments or condos. A zoning change application would have to be submitted & approved (after notifying nearby property owners & holding hearings), if the owner intends to use it for some other purpose.

WalMart is EXTREMELY secretive about their planned sites. So, until they are ready, they would either purchase the site using a holding company, or, make a deal with the current owners to lease until the property closed.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:50 PM

693 posts, read 1,495,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I think they are saying we don't need wal mart in that specific area. There is no mention of any other store such as HEB. You are over-reacting.
Yes, that's it we don't need a Walmart in that specific area. I rarely shop at Walmart but if I needed to go I could go to the one on I10 & De Zavala, 410 & Jones Maltsberger, 1604 & 281, or I10 & Vance Jackson.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...s-forward.html

In central Austin there were some protests and lawsuits trying to get a Walmart from being built in this shopping center. The residents didn't want Walmart because you know the whole Keep Austin Weird with local stores instead of big corporations. Eventually Walmart won and they built in the shopping center. The store is not as big as a regular store.

Three-years later, Northcross Wal-Mart finally opening - Austin Business Journal

Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,249 times
Looks like the property has been bought by walmart

Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,518,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfjJpf View Post
How do you know?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 PM

4,300 posts, read 7,166,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfjJpf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
How do you know?
Good question. BCAD doesn't show any change in ownership or zoning from what I previously posted. Couldn't find anything on the Bexar County Clerk's website, either, as far as official documents being filed.

Maybe PfjJpf has some inside info that could be shared?

Usually in cases like these, an interested party will put the property under contract, contingent upon successfully obtaining a zoning change for the buyer's intended use. If they are unsuccessful at getting a zoning change, they cancel the purchase.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 10,907 times
I went to a pharmacy career fair for my school in Dallas this past Wednesday. One of my interviews was with Wal-Mart, and I am hoping to move back home to SA. My interviewer mentioned "two new stores" in SA in the works; however, he did not know the locations after I asked him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio