Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM

693 posts, read 1,501,647 times

Advertisements

I'm close by in District 8 and I oppose of a Walmart being built near the park. Shouldn't we be talking with Councilman Williams too? The last thing we need is another Walmart in the area. We have to stop it we can't let Walmart win.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 AM

37 posts, read 64,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
. We have to stop it we can't let Walmart win.
Walmart already won...a loooooog time ago.

Besides, I would rather live near a Wal Mart than some dopey park that serves no purpose.

I support progress and growth and closed minded people are what is wrong with this city.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanthatsneato View Post

Besides, I would rather live near a Wal Mart than some dopey park that serves no purpose.

I support progress and growth and closed minded people are what is wrong with this city.
I'm far from closed minded, very open to most things. I don't get how someone not wanting a Walmart in the area makes them closed minded. I'm sure you've seen that People of Walmart site which is real progress to a city if you're mentioned on it.

There are plenty of Walmarts' near by, if I needed to go I could go to the one on I10 & De Zavala, 410 & Jones Maltsberger, 1604 & 281, or I10 & Vance Jackson. This area does not need another Walmart and it certainly won't add progress to the city. This area already has a ton of growth with no room left to build on. Anyone remember that Walmart they used to have on Bitters & West Ave. that closed down back in the 90s?

That park serves a purpose for many people in the area. I see lots of people using the Salado Creek Greenway to get exercise. Also the other part of the park on NW Military has trails for exercising too, basketball courts, and a very active dog park. Some people take their dog there everyday to socialize with other dogs. I'd hardly call that dopey park.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 AM

413 posts, read 741,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
I'm sure you've seen that People of Walmart site which is real progress to a city if you're mentioned on it.
This is a bad reason and a bad way to fight this. It makes you look like a nimby snob. The proper way to fight it is to mention crime and traffic statistics, property values, and your lack of support during the next election for anyone that helped let Walmart in.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
your lack of support during the next election for anyone that helped let Walmart in.
That might not work... isn't Elisa Chan term-limited out? She's been re-elected to her second term.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM

170 posts, read 291,162 times
Quote:

Yet another Walmart = "progress and growth" while Hardberger Park = "dopey"?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
This is a bad reason and a bad way to fight this. It makes you look like a nimby snob. The proper way to fight it is to mention crime and traffic statistics, property values, and your lack of support during the next election for anyone that helped let Walmart in.
I was being sarcastic with that comment since the other person said, Walmart brings progress to a city. I agree we shouldn't use that site to fight it from being built here.

Maybe in small towns it is progress to have a Walmart come to town. In a big city like SA this is not progress and we already have too many Walmarts' as it is.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM

134 posts, read 384,662 times
Quote:

Yet another walmart does nothing to improve the city. It kills more local businesses and sends more money to China. And is far from too late to fight it.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM

105 posts, read 228,716 times
This feels like it'll be more contentious than their ultimately successful attempt to build one in Houston Heights.

Sure, this area is more suburban, but it will indeed add to traffic/crime woes already present south of that area. When I lived there until a few months ago when I unfortunately moved, people kept going a little north (Bitters) to avoid already problematic crime, ONLY for that area to get worse. How will a Wal-Mart NOT make that worse?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 AM

134 posts, read 384,662 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Here is some interesting reading used in the argument against the Northcross walmart

Top 10 Reasons Why Wal-Mart Is Wrong for Northcross
http://www.rg4n.org/files/Top10.pdf

Also if you google:
walmart northcross austin
You will see how their fight turned out.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-10-2012 at 01:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio