Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:59 PM

19 posts, read 81,774 times

Advertisements

My husband is currently in the interview process with Toyota in San Antonio. I would like to do some research on home costs and areas to live. Could anyone recommend an nice area for a family (safe and good housing) with a reasonable drive to Toyota? Schools aren't an issue for us since we homeschool. We would like to make a wise home investment, however, and I know that schools can effect the value of a home. Which are the best websites to search for a home in SA? We are hoping to purchase a home for around $200k, if possible. We would be moving from Fort Wayne, Indiana where housing is extremely reasonable, so we aren't sure what to expect. Thank you so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:26 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Carrie....I noticed your post hasn't gotten any response. When I first saw the topic, I thought it was suggesting that Toyota was considering a move OUT of SA.....and I thought this was the beginning of a new Urban Legend!
See the Disney thread and you'll know what I'm talking about!

You might want to try again with something like...."Job change to Toyota....need neighborhood suggestions"...etc.

BTW - Hope things work out for your husbands career change!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
I wish I could help but I know nothing about the South side except it is growing (like the rest of SA).

Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Oh except I can say you will certainly be able to find a great home for around $200,000. Houses are very reasonable in Texas and San Antonio in general (for now at least).

Old 08-22-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Carrie....I noticed your post hasn't gotten any response. When I first saw the topic, I thought it was suggesting that Toyota was considering a move OUT of SA.....and I thought this was the beginning of a new Urban Legend!
See the Disney thread and you'll know what I'm talking about!

You might want to try again with something like...."Job change to Toyota....need neighborhood suggestions"...etc.

BTW - Hope things work out for your husbands career change!
Oh! I didn't think of how that might sound. Sorry! I'm not sure how to edit the post.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Good suggestion. I changed the title.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks for your help!!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 PM

109 posts, read 517,826 times
Hello,

I think I can help you out I know tons of Toyotas and where they live. The plant is located in a horrible scary location so your husband is going to be doing some driving.

Go to mysa.com and click on Real Estate. Search by Subdivision. Here are some that I would suggest you take a look at for something in the 200k range:

Stone Oak park of town is located directly north outside of loop 1604, it's considered "New Money" . It has good schools, is a new part of the city and is a complete traffic nightmare.
For newer homes in the Stone Oak area take a look at the following subdivisions:
Stone Oak..., Encino...,
Drive time from Stone Oak: 45 minutes to 1.5 hours

Helotes is located outside loop 1604 directly North West. It's not as developed as Stone Oak or as wealthy but it's still really nice and worth checking out. Traffic is bad but the schools are good.
For newer homes in the Helotes area search for the following subdivisions:
Iron Horse Canyon, Sonoma Ranch, Fossil Springs, Grandview
Drive time from Helotes: 45 minutes to an hour

West Over & West Creek areas are located on 151. I don't know much about this area but driving though it seems safe and nice and is a much better commute to the plant.
Check out the subdivisions with West Over and West Creek in the name.

Alamo Ranch area is an up and coming area and is really growing with some really nice homes going in....you get a little more for your money here since it's an up and coming area, definitely worth checking out since it's closer to the plant as well...outside loop 1604 directly west of 151. Search for subdivisions with Alamo ranch in the name.

Other Options:
The subdivisions mentioned above are all cookie cutters but nice, if you want a more established neighborhood with custom homes check out the following subdivisions: Hollywood Park, Shavano Park, Olsmos Park, Alamo Hieghts, Terrance Hill. These are also very expensive and more Old Money areas but have excellent schools.

If you want to live more out in the country then look at the city of Floresville, it's directly south of the plant and it's a bit desolate and far away from everything but there are some really nice homes back there on big plots of land with mature trees.

Also check out builder websites they always have info on the areas and will give you and idea of the price range that is going in.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 08-23-2007, 05:52 AM

hoddys2,

Thank you so much for all of your helpful information! I will be staying busy looking at those areas today. I really appreciate you taking the time to help us.

Since you mention knowing Toyotas, would you be willing to share how they feel about their job at Toyota? My husband is an engineer. Thanks!

Carrie

Old 08-27-2007, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 30,846 times
Hi, my husband also works for Toyota. We live in Stone Oak area. Just want to let you know that traffic is not THAT terriable because he'll take 281 all the way to the south part of town and Toyotas start to work very early (to avoid rush hour). It's about 40-60 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio