Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 AM

759 posts, read 3,689,227 times

Advertisements

After a very long search, we have found a home in Emerald Forest that fits most of our needs/wants. Emerald Forest is at 1604 and Bulverde Rd.... easy highway access, even though we would still have to get through the 281/1604 mess. We do not have children yet, but will be starting a family in the near future. The home is one of the "older" ones (only 12 yrs old) and in very good condition.
Anything we should know about this area/location/neighborhood?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:29 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,451 times
It's a nice neighborhood. One thing I would say is to make sure you get an idea of the road noise. It is very close to 1604 so I assume you will get highway noise. Another thing I can think of is the "Laurel Ridge" building at Redland Rd. and 1604 frontage road is a psychiatric hospital specializing in children and teens, but they do have adults that receive care. (Children and teens are the residents though.)

I have NEVER heard of anything about that hospital being a negative, but it is something I would look into if I was moving to an area - especially if I did plan on having children. There is also the sex offender website to check out -

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...eIndex=Results

I sound like a major paranoid person, I'm not really - although I do check the registry every month or so.

Last edited by Turtle_Mom; 08-22-2007 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: changed something that didn't make sense

Old 08-23-2007, 01:20 AM

85 posts, read 356,956 times
Lauren, be very careful before you sign anything in Emerald Forest. We had some friends who ended up suing their builder and the builder countersued them. It was a big ugly mess in the TX courts. I will find you the info. Just make sure your house isn't built by the same guy.

Here are some links to the story:
http://www.cfif.org/htdocs/legal_iss...les_2006.html/
Legal Tales Stranger than Fiction:
Quote:
I Sue, You Sue, We all Sue

A San Antonio, Texas home builder is suing one of its customers. Sitterle Corporation filed a libel suit against homeowner Army Col. Jay Hirata, asking for $500,000 in damages. The company accuses Hirata of writing defamatory statements on a consumer advocacy website about the company's alleged refusal to fix a leak problem in Hirata's home.

The two-year old dispute started after the Hiratas bought the home and soon noticed water leaking into the basement after rains. According to news reports, Sitterle tried to fix the problem. Unsatisfied, the Hiratas filed a formal complaint with the Texas Residential Construction Commission. The Commission's independent inspector sided with the Hiratas.

When Sitterle tried to make repairs, the Hiratas rejected them because the builder was not specific as to what was going to be done. Then the Hiratas sued, claiming they would like Sitterle to either buy back the home or repair the leaking problem in a more conventional manner.

The company defended, saying the Hiratas are at fault for not maintaining the house properly and altering the drainage pattern or soil grade. Sitterle's attorney, William Oliver, says the Hiratas' house no longer leaks.

Last month, the Hiratas posted complaints about Sitterle on the website Home Owners for Better Building. Sitterle filed a defamation suit, charging that "tens of thousands" of people could have read the comments and the company's reputation could be harmed. The comments included such statements as: "We are the victims ... of a company that is unwilling and unable to accept responsibility and accountability for this defective foundation and home. ... Sitterle Corp. does not admit any fault and are unwilling to remedy the situation."

Janet Ahmad, head of the website that posted Hirata's comments, said Sitterle is trying to suppress Hirata's free speech rights.

The Hiratas suit is scheduled to go to trial this week.

—Source: San Antonio Express-News (Texas)

[Posted September 28, 2006]
This 2nd link is the best one because it goes in to more details and tells how the court proceedings played out...
HomeOwners for Better Building - Sitterle Homes

Old 08-23-2007, 09:13 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,598,837 times
not saying sitterle did a good job in that situation, but I would rate them as one of the better builders in San Antonio. They have local roots and have been around a long time. Every now and then everyone has a boo boo. This appears to have been theirs.

I know four different families that currently live in Sitterle homes and couldn't be happier. In all honesty - as much as I have been around the home industry in San Antonio - I can give you horror stories about almost any builder you throw out there. So do your own research and due diligence and make a decision based upon your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio