Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:49 AM

616 posts, read 2,075,517 times

Advertisements

I live in Lincoln Heights. I had a coworker who moved here several years ago and moved directly to outside 1604. She was convinced I lived in the barrio, because she believed that everything inside 410 was slums. It took me the longest time to convince her to come to my house, because she thought that as soon as she got off the freeway she would be carjacked or involved in a drive-by.

Of course, she was also afraid of downtown, and the AT&T Center. It was a lot of fun to suggest places for her to go and watch her wrinkle her nose at having to go inside 1604.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 PM

454 posts, read 500,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
I live in Lincoln Heights. I had a coworker who moved here several years ago and moved directly to outside 1604. She was convinced I lived in the barrio, because she believed that everything inside 410 was slums. It took me the longest time to convince her to come to my house, because she thought that as soon as she got off the freeway she would be carjacked or involved in a drive-by.

Of course, she was also afraid of downtown, and the AT&T Center. It was a lot of fun to suggest places for her to go and watch her wrinkle her nose at having to go inside 1604.

heh, when I moved to Lavaca in 2002, all my friends and co-workers on the NW side that I was insane to move to the ghetto. They feared for my safety. Then they came to my house warming party and were amazed - they hadn't been inthe area in years (or ever). Admittedly in 2002 it was still borderline, now I'm the one laughing with an incredible value house on a big lot (.25 acre), a short walk from one of the best elementary schools (Bonham), and wonderful restaurants, as well as an excellent community with great neighbors (whom we actually know and socialize with!)

I'm just bummed I can no longer walk to work since I moved jobs and am now commuting to the medical center

btw - I have yet to have a robbery or break in (knock on wood), even when my house was vacant for 4+ months at a time when I was working abroad. On the other hand many of my friends outside 1604, including in gated communities, have had to deal with house robberies. And we don't even have an alarm system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio