Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:34 PM

297 posts, read 729,529 times

Advertisements

You were talking about people actually working and having jobs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
You were talking about people actually working and having jobs...
You make about as much sense as wearing yellow socks to a job interview.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I know this comapny is very successful, but the worst placed I used to work for was Bill Miller BBQ. We had to address our managers as "Mr." or "Ms." One of the managers would openly yell at the employees in front of a crowded dinning room! It didn't matter if you had a written schedule. More often than not, the magager would call me to come in on my day off because they were shorthanded. If the restaurant ran out of something, I would have to use my personal vehicle to pick-up items at their commissary, didn't even offer gas money! All of this happened twenty-five years ago, not sure if it is the same today. It seems to me a company can be more successful without using fear and intimidation as motivation.
I heard working at Bill Miller's is hell. There is a reason why they sometimes pay $10 an hour on the north side.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I heard working at Bill Miller's is hell. There is a reason why they sometimes pay $10 an hour on the north side.
I remember a couple of years ago Bill Miller's had a controversy because they were paying workers more money (for doing the exact same job) on the NorthSide of town versus the Westside (or Southside not sure which one). That was shady.

I sure hope they cleaned up their act since then.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I remember a couple of years ago Bill Miller's had a controversy because they were paying workers more money on the NorthSides of town versus the Westside (or Southside not sure which one). That was shady.

I sure hope they cleaned up their act since then.
It is called "market rate" and many companies do this.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It is called "market rate" and many companies do this.
A "market rate" for one city versus another, is one thing...a market rate for different locations within a city, is another. We aren't talking about 25 cents either. If I remember correctly, the difference was a few dollars in pay for the exact same job.

As far as the legality of this, I'm no expert, but I'd imagine lawyers are just clamoring for Bill Miller's to try and "test" them.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 PM

4,324 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
A "market rate" for one city versus another, is one thing...a market rate for different locations within a city, is another. We aren't talking about 25 cents either. If I remember correctly, the difference was a few dollars in pay for the exact same job.

As far as the legality of this, I'm no expert, but I'd imagine lawyers are just clamoring for Bill Miller's to try and "test" them.
I think Bill Miller's has been doing that for quite a few years, so if there was a legal case against having a pay differential, I would think it would have been challenged long ago.

My understanding has been the locations on the deep south side pay the least, the ones on the far north side the most, and the ones in between somewhere in the middle. I saw $9/hour on the marquee at the Nacogdoches/410 location the other day. I guess if it was really important to someone on the south side wanting to work there, but get the highest pay possible, they could drive or take VIA to one of the far north side locations. People often don't both live & work on the same side of town.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM

108 posts, read 196,497 times
One thing about some of the recent places mentioned is that a person without a college degree is able to get promoted to considerably better paying positions.

I too have heard about the micro-managing at USAA and supervisors worried about employees stealing their jobs

Speaking of lazy employees, I was told by a friend in the know that Toyota Texas was disappointed by the laziness of their workers during the first year or so of production. Later, a coworker, whose spouse worked at Toyota, said that every two weeks the workers schedules changed between day and night shifts. Talk about horrible, though I realized it was most likely Toyota's attempt to weed out lazy workers.

I'm surprised no one has commented about AT&T, aren't they supposed to be really strict and micro-manage too, plus require overtime for certain positions?

Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:

Like all fast food restaurants, Bill Miller's probably starts out paying as little as they can get away with. The locations on the south, east, and west sides are going to have a steady stream of applicants. The stores on the north side are usually extremely desperate for workers. One year, I watched the pay rate on the "now hiring" sign steadily go up at a north side location. It started at $8.50, then went to $9, then $9.50, and finally $10 an hour. It has since gone back down to $9 and I've never seen it go above $10.

It's more of an act of desperation than discrimination. I know a couple of people who tried working there for a few days and quit because they really "bust your behind." It sounds as if it's a lot worse than working at McDonald's or any other fast food restaurant. A lot of the kids on the north side probably don't really "need" these jobs and are less likely to stick it out or they end up going into retail. Most of my working friends in high school had retail jobs.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 AM

502 posts, read 934,299 times
I worked at bill millers and it was great! I was 15 making 9 dollars an hour! Yes you do work hard but it set a good foundation in my work ethic. Honestly it was not bad at all I just think people in this town are lazy, But that's just me. I was told pay rate for stores was based on the amount of business that location created. Worst workplace for me In San Antonio was any business that was owned by a middle eastern Indian! Always cheated on pay!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio