Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM

101 posts, read 170,618 times

Advertisements

We own a Bluehaven-built chlorine pool, which was already installed in the house we bought. Since I don't know what the previous owners ordered or paid, I can't comment on the business aspects of their purchase, but only on the design and construction, which seem okay, if not ideal.

Having learned something about pools since we've owned it, I'd say they used good pumping equipment, but I would have probably not have ordered the expensive ($400) cartridge filters they installed that need to be replaced periodically; I have heard that Bluehaven has a financial arrangement with the filter cartridge maker, but I don't know that personally. The pool came with a free-swimming, self-cleaning thing like a "Roomba" vacuum cleaner, which is handy, when it works. I can't understand why Bluehaven laid the water pipes that run it so that it bypasses the filter; it seems like a poor plan.

Bluehaven supplied a CD explaining the operation and maintenance of the pumps and filters, but it was useless due to wind noise over their microphones; I ended up paying over $100 to have one of their guys come out and explain the system.

Other than that, I've called the office a couple of times for advice and have not been impressed. I first called to ask for them to check their records and determine how much water it held (for chemical addition purposes), as the irregular shape makes calculating it difficult. When it was clear their answer was about 20 - 40% off, I called again. They did try more than an offhand guess the second time, but were still way off - I guess that's not something they keep records on. I called again to ask how to drain the pool when one chemical (cyanuric acid) got high enough to be troublesome. The guy there tried to talk me out of the drain and refill because the pool was still clear and sparkly; he clearly doesn't understand pool chemistry, as a too high cyanuric acid level reduces the effect of the chlorine level, requiring ever higher levels just to keep the pool sanitary.

Finally, I understand there is no licensing process in Texas for pool builders - anyone can claim to be one. There is an association of pool builders (forgotten the name), and that would be a good place to start looking for a builder. Bluehaven wasn't a member, at least up to a few months ago.

So, please excuse this long response over what seem to be small details, but Bluehaven would not be my first choice for buying a new pool. I've had a few dealings with River Oaks Pools for small repairs I didn't feel comfortable doing and they seem a little better, so, personally, I'd start there. If their dispatcher would actually talk to the repair people and pass on what I needed done, I'd have no qualms about recommending them.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,047 times
anyone had leisure pools install a fibreglass pool? what are peoples thoughts about fibreglass pools?
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio