Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,805,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
The worst drivers? Well, they're pretty bad.

The worst points? An egocentric, highly aggressive, me-first attitude to the point of total lack of regard for anyone else's safety and probably one of the worst cities from a DWI perspective.

Having lived here since the mid to late 90's I can testify the driving habits have gotten much, much worse. It had a more laid-back, friendly feel back then.
Having been born and raised here it is crazy how it has changed. I blame transplants. Get it together transplants and wave at me next time I let you in front of me when you are trying to get out of the Valero during crazy traffic time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:53 PM

62,211 posts, read 88,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Do you mean major roads or major highways? Most major roads have a speed limit of 45 mph, so someone going 50 mph is already speeding and in danger of getting cited. I think it's discourteous to expect people to risk getting speeding tickets. Some people have CDLs and neither can afford to rack up tickets on their driving record nor get out of them with probation or defensive driving.
Major roads include highways, rural interstates, loop 410, loop 1604 etc.
People that are afraid to get ticket for "going with the flow" above speed limit should leave left lane, stay on middle (or right) lane, and enter left lane only to pass slower drivers. No one has exclusive rights to stay on left lane because is driving within speed limit. Left lane is to pass only and slower traffic should keep right regardless what speed they drive. Plenty of those signs are posted along major roads. So, it doesn't matter what speed you drive, if you are slower than someone else, then keep right and do not worry about others.

For those drivers that still don't understand the meaning of it, here is a picture:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205825_10150352513520469_607210468_10219840_704581 7_n.jpg (broken link)
How We Drive, the Blog of Tom Vanderbilt’s Traffic » Blog Archive » MUTCD Addendum No. 214

Left lane should be banned for semis-trailers ( trucks) at least in urban, often congested highways with multiple lanes.

Speed limits in the US:
Speed limit laws
Map of maximum posted speed limits on rural interstates

Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,523,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Major roads include highways, rural interstates, loop 410, loop 1604 etc.
People that are afraid to get ticket for "going with the flow" above speed limit should leave left lane, stay on middle (or right) lane, and enter left lane only to pass slower drivers. No one has exclusive rights to stay on left lane because is driving within speed limit. Left lane is to pass only and slower traffic should keep right regardless what speed they drive. Plenty of those signs are posted along major roads. So, it doesn't matter what speed you drive, if you are slower than someone else, then keep right and do not worry about others.

For those drivers that still don't understand the meaning of it, here is a picture:

How We Drive, the Blog of Tom Vanderbilt’s Traffic » Blog Archive » MUTCD Addendum No. 214

Left lane should be banned for semis-trailers ( trucks) at least in urban, often congested highways with multiple lanes.

Speed limits in the US:
Speed limit laws
Map of maximum posted speed limits on rural interstates
You didn't mention left lane driving; you just said that people driving 50mph were making the roads unsafe.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:16 AM

62,211 posts, read 88,090,317 times
^^^ Oooops! You are right!! But I meant the left lane. No one cares about cars driving slower on the middle or right lane. They are alright there.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,379,102 times
Default What is with San Antonio Drivers?

Okay, so I have given it over 18 months before going public with an assessment of driving in San Antonio. I have lived and driven in other major metropolitan areas in the U.S. and abroad, but I have not seen the level of aggressive and discourteous driving anywhere else.

For evidence, look at the number of recently destroyed collision barrels between the main traffic lanes and exit ramps on the major highways on your next commute. This is usually caused by those drivers that don't think they should be expected to merge with other traffic, or yield the right of way. They are usually seen traveling in the main lanes only to cut over into the exit lane at the last possible second, usually resulting in massive slowdowns behind them due the chain reaction of rapid braking.

In the afternoon rain on Monday, I watched a woman in an Explorer Sport-Track wreck where the upper and lower decks from I-35 to I-10 merge together going outbound on I-10 West. Thankfully I was able to avoid getting hit. She was traveling too fast for the conditions and hit a patch of standing water and hydroplaned. He vehicle began to skid, she over-corrected and slammed into the small section of metal guardrail between the concrete Jersey barriers going backwards. I see accidents like this occur almost daily in my commute.

San Antonio also takes the cake for drunk driving fatalities of any other area I have lived. Wrong way drivers on interstates, drunks killing police officers, etc. I could understand some confusion with the on/off ramps for those that may be unfamiliar with the Texas highway system, but 95% of these drunk drivers are locals, from San Antonio. As is the trend with drunk drivers, most have already had their licenses revoked due to prior convictions. Additionally, most have no insurance.

Any insights into why aggressive and reckless driving is so prevalent in the area?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-26-2012 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: new thread merged w/existing ongoing thread 01/26/12

Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 AM

93 posts, read 95,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Okay, so I have given it over 18 months before going public with an assessment of driving in San Antonio. I have lived and driven in other major metropolitan areas in the U.S. and abroad, but I have not seen the level of aggressive and discourteous driving anywhere else.

For evidence, look at the number of recently destroyed collision barrels between the main traffic lanes and exit ramps on the major highways on your next commute. This is usually caused by those drivers that don't think they should be expected to merge with other traffic, or yield the right of way. They are usually seen traveling in the main lanes only to cut over into the exit lane at the last possible second, usually resulting in massive slowdowns behind them due the chain reaction of rapid braking.

In the afternoon rain on Monday, I watched a woman in an Explorer Sport-Track wreck where the upper and lower decks from I-35 to I-10 merge together going outbound on I-10 West. Thankfully I was able to avoid getting hit. She was traveling too fast for the conditions and hit a patch of standing water and hydroplaned. He vehicle began to skid, she over-corrected and slammed into the small section of metal guardrail between the concrete Jersey barriers going backwards. I see accidents like this occur almost daily in my commute.

San Antonio also takes the cake for drunk driving fatalities of any other area I have lived. Wrong way drivers on interstates, drunks killing police officers, etc. I could understand some confusion with the on/off ramps for those that may be unfamiliar with the Texas highway system, but 95% of these drunk drivers are locals, from San Antonio. As is the trend with drunk drivers, most have already had their licenses revoked due to prior convictions. Additionally, most have no insurance.

Any insights into why aggressive and reckless driving is so prevalent in the area?
It's the culture. BTW- Another one of these threads????

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-26-2012 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: new thread merged w/existing ongoing thread 01/26/12

Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,379,102 times
Sorry to add to the prolific number of threads of this type. But, after two consecutive days of considering myself extremely lucky to survive the commute due to the idiocy of some of the best drivers SA has to offer, I had to wonder if it was just me.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-26-2012 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: new thread merged w/existing ongoing thread 01/26/12

Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,825,127 times
Not another thread about this.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:43 AM

915 posts, read 1,909,982 times
Quote:
This is usually caused by those drivers that don't think they should be expected to merge with other traffic, or yield the right of way. They are usually seen traveling in the main lanes only to cut over into the exit lane at the last possible second, usually resulting in massive slowdowns behind them due the chain reaction of rapid braking.

of all the traffic issues here that is not even on the radar. go drive in the NYC metro area and you will see where there is a reason to complain about it.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:15 AM

810 posts, read 1,429,877 times
Quote:
Sorry to add to the prolific number of threads of this type. But, after two consecutive days of considering myself extremely lucky to survive the commute due to the idiocy of some of the best drivers SA has to offer, I had to wonder if it was just me.

No, it is not you unless you are one of those drivers who drive 10mph below the speed limit and does not move over while driving on the left lane on a highway when there is a vehicle closing in behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio