Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 09:02 AM

12 posts, read 37,709 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! When we first started house hunting, Trophy Ridge was my dream neighborhood. I LOVE all of the trees and the subdivision really seems to have a strong sense of community. If we were to build there, we would go with Sivage. Can anyone who lives in TR tell me about it? Do you have a Sivage home and are you happy with it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
I'm VERY familiar with Trophy Ridge and VERY active at the school in the neighborhood. I know LOTS of families that live in there. LOVE the neighborhood and it would be one of my very first choices if I were moving. But, I gotta ask ~ WHY would you choose Sivage if you buy in there? I've noticed that you were looking at "higher end" production home builders (Highland, Gehan) in your other posts. Why Sivage now????? MOST of the neighbors in there are NONE too happy with what Sivage has brought into the neighborhood. TriStone is a much better choice, IMHO.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM

While we did look at Highland and Gehan, their neighborhoods are a bit further location wise than we would like to be. What got me thinking about Sivage was that they recently released new floor plans in TR. I'm not crazy about any of their older floor plans. Quality of builder is very important to us too though. Our last home purchase, 10 years ago was sold to us "as is." What we thought would be a fixer upper turned into a nightmare. So, we're trying to find out all we can about any builders in San Antonio that are known for shoddy construction. I an terrified of committing to a house that's going to fall apart on us. TR area is the area we do everything in, and I live how close it is to everything and that there's an onsite elementary. (I have a 5 year old). So...many of the Sivage homeowners you know are not pleased???

Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
I TOTALLY understand about the other 2 neighborhoods being further out! (OH, AND the fixer-upper nightmare! ) Makes sense.

So, I don't know anyone who purchased from Sivage. But I do know a lot of the long time homeowners in TR. When Medallion (the original builder) went out of the homebuilding business early last year, the homeowners in TR got very nervous. The neighborhood is a VERY unique concept, both from the architectural aspect AND the native wildscape (Texas Backyard Habitat program) approach. They were concerned as to what a new builder (let alone THREE!) would do. Right off the bat, Lennar went in and scalped several lots. There was a HUGE uproar (understandably!). Lennar said that they were unaware of the tree ordinance and the Backyard Wildlife Habitat program. Anyway, hands were slapped, fines were issued, homeowners were promised that things would be done correctly. Now, here's the rub ~ the VAST majority of the homeowners ALSO loved the original architectural design that Medallion had implemented (Craftsman inspired). THAT is the architectural design that they wanted to see continued. TriStone decided from the beginning that they would design their architecture very closely to what Medallion had done. They could do that, since they are a small LOCAL builder. Lennar and Sivage. NOPE! Same old, same old, "cookie cutter" elevations that they use in all their neighborhoods. The long time homeowners are NOT happy about it at all! If you drive through the neighborhood, you'll notice that the "front" has a very different look and feel than the "back" (where the new builders are building). I know that Sivage has some unique floorplans, but I honestly would not build with them. I'd pick TriStone over them in a *heartbeat*! My *personal opinion* is that TriStone is a better built home and that they truly care about the community and their buyers. Again, that's my opinion, from being around there quite a bit. Do yourself a favor if you're seriously considering buying in Trophy Ridge ~ walk around the neighborhood, go to the park. Ask the folks who live in Medallion built homes what their opinions are. Check the "marquee" sign to see when the next HOA meeting is and see if you can attend. You'd probably learn a lot there.

As far as the community goes, it's GREAT! I have a LOT of friends in there. They are GREAT folks! They get to know each other, do things together, watch out for one another. And the school? OH MY GOSH!! Best. School. EVER!!!! I am not even joking. The principal is phenomenal and has created an outstanding learning environment. Fantastic teachers, amazing "specials" (art, music, pe, library, computers, etc) staff. Seriously wonderful. The middle school (Vale) is also excellent. I'm not crazy about the high school (Stevens), tho, but that's just my opinion based on the experience of my kids. Heck, by the time you child is old enough for HS, tho, TR could be re-zoned for a different HS! LOL!!!

Anyway, FANTASTIC community. *My* choice, if I were to buy in there would be ~ 1st - existing Medallion built home, 2nd - TriStone built home. If I couldn't have one of those, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Best of luck with your decision!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I have a Sivage home in another neighborhood and the only thing I really dislike about it is that there's no insulation in my bathroom walls, so you can hear someone using the bathroom when you're in the backyard (not just the flush either) and the bathroom is really hot or cold depending on the season. Other than that, I'm pleased with the house. We bought after it was built, didn't get to pick anything, and there are definitely some things that I will upgrade in the near future (deeper kitchen sink for one thing), but my husband loves the entire house, just the way it is.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Thanks so much jules07 for your insight and great advice. Hedgehog_mom...really???? No insulation in the bathroom? Yikes!! See, things as important as that being overlooked are scary to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio