Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times

Advertisements

Stone Oak is (only half) jokingly referred to as "Monterrey North", or the northern border of Mexico.

Certain "Investor" visas allow not only the investor, but the entire family to come live here. In fact, the spouse can obtain employment completely separate from the investor business (obviously, that provision was put in somewhere along the way for a special case, as most other visas do not allow for spousal employment).

Also, certain visas allow for the holder to maintain a car with foreign plates in the US if it is used to return to and from the home country. Whether Texas law would supercede is anyone's guess...I see many, many, many MX plates.

As for living here and paying taxes...then, yes, technically they are "paying in" to the school system. Do not get me started on those who apply for free or reduced lunch, claiming only their US income in the application. But since school finance (dispursement to the districts) is not increasing with enrollment, then the question is whether they should be in school without legal status.

Last edited by pobre; 11-01-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Girl I dated was a home loan finance officer strictly for Mexican customers. Yes, they had money, but she said the problem was that the Mexican homebuyers have no idea how buying a home works in the US--it's very different from Mexico. It is common for them not to take into account the loan process, insurance, etc and often times they become discouraged.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
It's a complete and legal fraud if you ask me because we ALL know they will not just come here and leave but they will work the system to eventually do whatever they can to become a citizen in this country! (have "anchor babies" born in US, marry an American citizen, start a business here to make money, send it back to their country, all the while competing with American businesses for profit!) We need to STOP allowing them to live here because of these "loopholes" in our laws. Why should they get to come here just because they have money?

God didn't make them a better person than a poor person in Mexico
;
it just shows you how screwed up our system is!

With nearly 15 million Americans unemployed, we as a country, are letting them into this country to take our jobs, buy up our houses, put their kids in our schools, display their snobbiness to poorer Americans, and to allow them to have this self-righteous attitude that they can do whatever they want.

If it's not right for poor Mexicans to illegally enter our country, it's also not right for wealthy Mexicans to take advantage of loopholes in the laws so they can come here. For that matter, students living here on expired student visas are doing wrong too (*cough*, *cough* and then marrying an American citizen to become legal) and anyone else from any other country doing the same!

Until our system is changed so these loopholes are once and for all ended, in San Antonio and South Texas, we will have these influx of Mexicans who do not belong here and who are NOT welcome here by any American citizen. Just the other day, I was in a store with nearly half of the people around me NOT speaking a word of English. I just wanted to shake my head!

Put Americans first. This is OUR country for godsakes!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 PM

135 posts, read 550,775 times
Our economy, especially nowadays, needs all the foreign investment possible. The investor visa is not a loophole, its the actual law and is designed to pump foreign funds into the US economy. No money, no visa.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusQer View Post
Our economy, especially nowadays, needs all the foreign investment possible.
That is,... we need all them to come over here create businesses which compete with AMERICAN businesses! Great idea with 15 million Americans unemployed! NO, we don't need "foreign investment" we need jobs FOR AMERICANS created by American businesses!

Quote:
The investor visa is not a loophole, its the actual law and is designed to pump foreign funds into the US economy. No money, no visa.
Great, well, lets invite millions of foreigners from African countries, Asian countries, Latin countries to just come over here and set up shop in the name of "investment." They'll make a killing in profits! Good for them! Meanwhile, Americans will still be without work!

Last edited by xsa210tx; 11-01-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM

135 posts, read 550,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
That is,... we need all them to come over here create businesses which compete with AMERICAN businesses! Great idea with 15 million Americans unemployed! NO, we don't need "foreign investment" we need jobs FOR AMERICANS!

Great, well, lets invite millions of foreigners from African countries, Asian countries, Latin countries to just come over here and set up shop in the name of "investment." They'll make a killing in profits! Good for them! Meanwhile, Americans will still be without work!
The businesses they setup in America hire Americans and give Americans jobs.

An investment means they are purchasing American goods, American services, etc. ie, they are pumping money into our economy. They are supporting and creating American jobs... Would you rather they take their money to China?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
The businesses they setup in America hire Americans and give Americans jobs.

An investment means they are purchasing American goods, American services, etc. ie, they are pumping money into our economy. They are supporting and creating American jobs... Would you rather they take their money to China?
I WOULD RATHER AMERICAN CITIZENS CREATE THOSE JOBS! Period! How many do you want to "enter" this country to "invest"????

Because I'm sure you're aware that we can't allow EVERY "investor" around the world in every country, in every state and in every city in their foreign land to come into this country to "invest."

NO, we've got people right HERE in our own country who can do that. We don't "need" foreign investors. There is no shortage of American entrepreneurship. They may not be "fortunate" to be wealthy like those well off Mexicans across the border; however, they are more deserving to be given that chance FIRST and helped through as an American citizen/business.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,284 times
There had to be one in this thread. I honestly don't understand how someone could be against more wealth being brought into the city. The housing market and the local economy have benefited from this. Goodness.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
There had to be one in this thread. I honestly don't understand how someone could be against more wealth being brought into the city. The housing market and the local economy have benefited from this. Goodness.
You thought it started with just one? This thread was headed into bigoted territory from the moment someone typed 'meh hee co.'

Legal immigration: What's the problem? This country was founded on it. You're an immigrant. I'm an immigrant. Deal with it. If Mexicans with money are coming to San Antonio, opening business, creating jobs, etc, then why the hell should we argue with that?

BN

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Are we still debating San Antonio, or are we deep in politics again??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio