Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

Interesting... I just closed a thread where SA members were complaining about "poor Mexicans" invading their beautiful, gated communities. Here members are pondering the existence of "rich Mexicans" and their legal rights to stay in San Antonio...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,845 times
Sounds to me like it's headed into that cesspool of politics.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Interesting... I just closed a thread where SA members were complaining about "poor Mexicans" invading their beautiful, gated communities. Here members are pondering the existence of "rich Mexicans" and their legal rights to stay in San Antonio...
Nobody said that in the previous thread.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,028,436 times
The reason that wealthy Mexicans are the ones investing is because AMERICANS don't have the money to invest: they're saddled with credit card debt, borderline bankruptcies, etc.

That 1 guy wants Americans first? The capitalistic reality is Americans LAST....& it's no one's fault but their own....in most cases. Not all, but most.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,571 times
Seen quite a few beautiful Mercedes-Benz vehicles with Mexican plates. BALLIN'!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Guys....all it takes is time and a good work ethic. You have to be willing to work harder, longer, and with more intensity than most folks are willing to do. It's nothing for "rich" folks to put in 10-12 hour days, 6 and 7 days a week. If they do it long enough and wisely enough, they become "rich" "overnight" and everyone envies them.....because they have it so "easy".

I have neighbors that constantly comment on my hours, then wonder how we've managed to get some nice stuff....well, d'oh!! We're certainly not "rich" by most standards, but we do get by all right. "Rich" is a VERY relative term - when I was younger, I couldn't imagine paying someone else to wash my vehicles, change my oil, etc. Today, I look at it and realize that it makes no sense to do that myself given my hourly rate. My sons do their own, and yeah I lend 'em a hand from time to time if they need a hand figuring out how to do something - but the point is that if you're willing to work hard, get outside your comfort zone and take a chance - you CAN do better. I see examples of it all the time. Sure, there are those that seem to have stuff "fall in their laps" - but so what? Most of 'em have done it by simple hard (and smart) work.
I see folks busting on HEB all the time - but I can remember when Albertson's and the other big national chains came into town saying that they'd have the "little regional" chain shuttered within 5 years. Mr. Butt looked at it, and rather than folding his tent he redoubled his efforts. Today, they enjoy a phenomenal market share, and most of the national chains pray that they don't expand any further!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstmom View Post
Hello. We moved from Houston about 3 months ago and live in the North side of town. I see tons of Mexican license plates on cars here and many classmates of my son (he goes to a private school) recently moved from Mexico. I also see a ton of these license plates parked at Lifetime Fitness at 281 and 1604.

I've heard that in the last few years many well-off Mexicans have moved to the North area of town from Mexico due to violence back home. I am just curious about a few things. I have no issue with them living here and I totally understand why they would do it. I am just wondering about a few things.

I am really ignorant about immigration law so forgive me. How are they legally able to live here? Do they buy homes here and that allows them to live here legally? Are their children allowed to attend public school? What attracts them to San Antonio specifically? I know each situation is different for each family but what do they do for a living? What do they do about health insurance? And will they ever register their cars in Texas?

Here are some articles on this phenomenon that I had bookmarked in past years:

For Rich Mexicans, Parallel Lives in U.S. - New York Times

Who’s creating US jobs? Mexicans.

Turmoil drives Mexican nationals to San Antonio - San Antonio Express-News

Old 11-02-2011, 09:16 AM

83 posts, read 156,140 times
A lot of them do not want to become American citizens because they are "proud" to be Mexican citizens... Yet, not proud enough to stay there?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,562 times
my only complaint with the Mexican-owned businesses is that their business practices are different than what I'm used to in America. The customer service is definitely not at the same level -- there's a gruffness there to put it mildly and clearly that old motto of "The customer is always right" does not cross certain borders. THere's also some issues with following certain guidelines as far as health inspections, employee training and such...

I also wonder if, in fact, these families are paying taxes here? Many list their homes as vacation homes only and keep their foreign address as their "permanant" residency. But, their kids are in school here. If I'm paying for their kids to be educated or for their kids to receive medical treatment, etc. etc. that's where I draw the line.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,845 times
Are you kidding? Customer service here gets worse every year...and I'm not talking about Mexican-owned businesses! As for what other nationality has so-called "American" businesses...you'd be surprised at some of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio