Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 AM

44 posts, read 72,563 times

Advertisements

thank you all for thegreat feedback. seeing it from both sides of the fence is very helpful. My wife, and 2 of my 3 kids will be excited to move and start anew. It seems the area we are looking looks like a great neighborhood. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,257,753 times
Good gosh people, San Antonio isn't the prairie! New construction may unearth some creepy crawlers at first but new homes are built to keep them out and they are easily controlled inside with pest control. We usually do our own--in Stone Oak--and I've only seen about 5-6 dead roaches in the last 8 months since we moved back. I've only had 4 scorpions in my home my entire life in Texas and 2 were when we lived backed up to an open field populated with deer, coyotes, and foxes. Outside on this side of town yeah, just pay attention when you are turning over rocks.

The neighborhood you are building in is wonderful as are the schools here. I tried moving out of state once to a place with "better" schools then TX and it was a big disappointment--enough that we moved back in 8 months. Texas rates low but once we compared zip code to zip code rather then city to city the real story came out. This part of SA has excellent schools. I'm assuming you are Johnson HS over there and I think it's a great time to get into that school as it is so new.

Seriously, I find it highly doubtful that you are in more danger on this side of San Antonio then you are near downtown Detroit. SA is low on crime for a city it's size. While I know cars are broken into, mine has never been even though my husband keeps our garage so full it's always parked outside. I tend not to keep things like laptops sitting inside so maybe the carseat isn't a high draw for thieves It is highly unlikely you will ever be in danger unless you put yourself in a dangerous place. I have never been attacked even during my college years when I was a reasonably cute blond running around at night to clubs and even drove myself home from downtown a few times. It could happen but it's not a normal thing!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,362,510 times
Default Two Centavos Worth To New Jerseyite,

I believe you would love a move to S.A. There is a lot of freedom here,
lots of wide open space too, once you leave town. Freedom from cold and winter coats and ice and snow storms, it is a great place to live. Most days are bright and sunny and 28 degrees farenheit is a very cold winter day here.
A salubrious climate- there is no day when one is trapped inside because of brutal cold. If you can manage the heat, every day can be good. Some say there are two seasons here, summer and winter. It ain't so though. But there is in the woods scorpions, fire ants, rattlesnakes, cactus, thornbushes
and other ornery stuff of the environment, but just be leery of that sort of thing
if you are out there and you will do just fine. Particularly the fire ants. One can be standing in an ant-bed and not know it until they begin to sting,by then your feet could be covered with them at which point one begins to stomp and howl.
Seriously, this can be of danger to smaller children.
As weak as Canadian Hot Sauce, the cold fronts from up north just
aren't very strong by the time they reach here.
If you like Tex-mex food you will be in the capital of that. Just watch out for the hot sauce in the resaurants, it may take you unawares if you aren't used to spicey.
There is always Olive Garden for Italian.. Your athletic sons better watch their step,however, some of these Mexican young ladies can be very attractive.
This is an arid place though, so that would be a huge contrast , we are suffering from a severe drought right now in fact.
Socio-economically San Antonio is a backwater, conservative sort of place.
You might want to curtail that famous colonial freedom of speech right ...that you posessed in Jersey. The south may rise again ! Or secede.
Detroit makes one feel safe? Detroit Michigan is one of the most dangerous cities on earth according to a recent article in the Washington Post ! I don't look back at Detroit with any sort of nostalgia as does one poster here, M-2. The eye of the storm of the rust belt- it does have some ambience to it however , eu-de-pollution. It is an extremely, extremely run-down city wherein 180 days per year are overcast. The sun is rarely visible from January - April bacause of
lake effect cloudiness. All of Winter resembles a very long, bad weekend.
No, San Antonio is a great place with great people, and a lot of history -the hill country north of town is about as picturesque a place as you could find, the gulf coast is 150 miles away, the west Texas desert is a couple of hundred of miles away and Big Bend Park... is an incredible place.
There is so much more about San Antonio but who could put it all in here? Besides I have to think about how I am going to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogonj135 View Post
Hello San Antonio - I currently live in NJ just outisde NYC and work in NYC. I've been here most of my life except for some military time. I have been to SA a few times and loved being there and so has my family. I've decided to give up my hectic life and job with non-stop travel and relocate to SA. I have three kids, 16, 12 and 11 so some are happy and some aren't.

I am building a house in Cibolo Canyons. Are there any mid-atlantic relocatees on this forum? How was your transition? What should I look out for? What do you like, what do you not? I've been there in the summer so no worries about the heat if that's the first thing you will tell me, lol.

Looking for anything about your move and first months there that can help me. My two older children are heavy athletes and I'm sure our first fiends will come from their activity. Thansk in advance to all and look forward to getting there just in time for the brutal heat!

Last edited by huckster; 11-08-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
There is always Olive Garden for Italian.. .

lol

Old 11-08-2011, 09:28 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,669,506 times
someone mentioned comparing crime in stone oak to Detroit. Ummm...ok. I'm sorry you had your car broken into in stone oak and things taken out of your garage (which was probably wide open in the middle of the day). Isn't Detroit the murder capital of the US?

Stone Oak traffic sucks, but it is a nice place to live. San Antonio is a good place to raise a family, a lot of different things to do. Your kids will be fine.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:49 AM

21 posts, read 32,600 times
Bogon, you'll be fine.

Don't let a very small but vocal minority try to scare you or detour you with their misery loves company attitudes.

Is SA hot during the summer? Yes. But it's being blow out of proportion I feel. A place like Phoenix can be 105-110 all summer and people love it but it's hot in San Antonio and it's the worst place ever? It gets hotter and more humid in Houston and Dallas during the summer but SA gets the bad rap. I don't understand it. And to the person who said they miss living their window open, guess what, I've had my windows open for 3 weeks now. Fall, winter and spring allow that. Summer, not so much. My point, stop with the needless hyperbole.

Another thing the small minority seem to rage about is "obesity" or "fat people" in San Antonio. Not going to lie, they exist, but when you look up the percentages, San Antonio has less obese and more fit people than places like Dallas and Nashville.

If anyone does not believe it or would like to see for themselves, just click the highlighted names of the cities for each of their own respective American Fitness Index study, which uses up to date (2010) figures. These are MSA and CSA figures, not just city or county.

As for being poor, that's not true either. Just an easy throw out by this small minority with nothing to back it up.

The safety issue couldn't have been more exaggerated by the one poster who claimed to feel safer in Detroit than in Stone Oak. I don't need to point to all the statistical data that confirms how safe a community SA is. Especially in comparison to Detroit and metro Detroit, which has a crime index of 656.

The graffiti in this city is a problem but that has been in due part to lax laws and little to no enforcement by local police. That is slowly changing.

Bottom line, you'll enjoy the city. Have fun and take care!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 AM

993 posts, read 2,481,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
someone mentioned comparing crime in stone oak to Detroit. Ummm...ok. I'm sorry you had your car broken into in stone oak and things taken out of your garage (which was probably wide open in the middle of the day). Isn't Detroit the murder capital of the US?

Stone Oak traffic sucks, but it is a nice place to live. San Antonio is a good place to raise a family, a lot of different things to do. Your kids will be fine.
#1 Dangerous City in 2011 is Flint, Michigan. Ask Mateen Cleaves.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...39513/#slide10

Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM

810 posts, read 1,418,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivegreen View Post
San Antonio has less obese and more fit people than places like Dallas
Maybe because you are referring to the Metroplex as a whole which is much larger than San Antonio therefore having more fat people.

The % of obesity is much higher here. No denying.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM

21 posts, read 32,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Maybe because you are referring to the Metroplex as a whole which is much larger than San Antonio therefore having more fat people.

The % of obesity is much higher here. No denying.
The same is true when comparing the Dallas MSA.

As for strictly counties.

In 2007:

Percentage of Obese in Bexar county: 26.3%

Percentage of Obese in Dallas county: 27.1%

Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM

93 posts, read 94,407 times
Mucho fat folks in the South. No denying that. Coming from NJ (like the OP), this is one of the first things that we noticed. Can't even tuck their own shirts in. Never before have I seen so many of those motorized carts at the supermarket. Way too many taco eaters!

Put that taco down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio