Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM

58 posts, read 127,117 times

Advertisements

duh!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:45 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
the friend I spoke of had his laptop stolen while it was hidden under his seat out of sight. it happened at the quarry market, get this......during lunch! broad daylight, and nobody noticed it happening.

they're quick and efficient, don't make it more efficient for them.

HA!!!! Interesting!!!! Must have been one of the eight cars that got broken same time as mine!!!

Quarry!!! Broad Daylight!!! Wednesday afternoon around 1:00pm!!!!

Jeez, this gets me upset just thinking about it!!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM

418 posts, read 784,563 times
It should not take the police chief making an announcement of
this sort for the citizens to follow those simple steps.

One other thing with respect to vehicles...

-GPS suction cup mounts leave those little circle marks on the glass.

-Additionally, the stickable round disc mount devices placed somewhere
visible in the vehicle like on top of the dash.

Both of these are indications there may be a GPS device in the vehicle
which are attractive to thieves.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 PM

272 posts, read 640,171 times
I would like to add, people turn your porch lights ON at night, it's a big deterrent for burgulars.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM

89 posts, read 148,210 times
dont "advertise" things. For instance i had a glock and a Remington sticker on my truck. and had it broken into twice. i took them off,..... nothing since then

Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM

418 posts, read 784,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
I would like to add, people turn your porch lights ON at night, it's a big deterrent for burgulars.
Yes!!!

I took a few measures at my mom's place a few years back

Installed a sodium light that is mounted high, comes on automatically
and washes the whole yard with light.

Previously tried a motion-detector light but much prefer the constant
on with the sodium light.

Installed security bars on all the basement windows. She sleeps upstairs
and someone could be inside the house before she realized.

Installed double deadbolt locks on the doors with glass.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The first was don't leave things in your car! The city had a "leave it, loose it" campaign a few years back, but folks are still leaving valuables openly in their vehicles and unfortunately those are too tempting and too easy of a target for the petty thieves in our area.

Secondly, secure your homes and garages!
These things are so true. I have 3 neighbors who have had laptops stolen from vehicles parked overnight in their driveway.

When they tell me of these breakins, it's hard not to say that this will never happen to me, since: My vehicle never sits overnight in the driveway, it's in my locked garage. My laptop never sits in my vehicle unless I'm in the vehicle.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
I always notice that the kids in the neighborhood who have the loudest car stereos are the ones that get their cars broken into. Once they grow up enough not to enjoy that level of volumn (or go completely deaf thus eliminating the need for a stereo) the breakins stop. I wouldn't doubt that these stereo stealing punks would follow these loud cars home from a stop light and put the location on their midnight shopping list.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:38 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
I awoke one night years ago to the sound of a prowler outside my house going around to the side and back windows, apparently trying to find a loose screen & unlocked window. All of my screens were securely fastened, and all windows were closed & latched, along with an auxiliary locking pin. The prowler left after some time, unable to easily gain entry. I didn't report the incident.

I immediately started locking my back gates, and also started leaving my back patio light on all night, as a deterrent. About a year later, I get up one Sunday morning, to find one of the back window screens (large window opens to the patio) had been removed, and was nowhere in sight. I unlock the door and walk out into the back yard, and find the screen some distance away, having fallen down on the ground apparently after having been leaned up against a tree.

I decided to report this one. The officer that came out to make the report surmised that someone was attracted to the well-lit & relatively private confines of the fenced back yard, the patio light affording plently for them to be able to quietly work the screen latches loose, without being seen. The officer agreed that the locking pins in the window foiled the entry attempt, as the glass would have to have been broken, and would make too much noise. There were no lights left on in front of the house when this happened, and no evidence could be found of an entry attempt at any other point.

The officer also didn't think it was that big of a deal for someone to climb over the fence. The locks on the gates were undisturbed.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM

34 posts, read 45,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I awoke one night years ago to the sound of a prowler outside my house going around to the side and back windows, apparently trying to find a loose screen & unlocked window. All of my screens were securely fastened, and all windows were closed & latched, along with an auxiliary locking pin. The prowler left after some time, unable to easily gain entry. I didn't report the incident.

I immediately started locking my back gates, and also started leaving my back patio light on all night, as a deterrent. About a year later, I get up one Sunday morning, to find one of the back window screens (large window opens to the patio) had been removed, and was nowhere in sight. I unlock the door and walk out into the back yard, and find the screen some distance away, having fallen down on the ground apparently after having been leaned up against a tree.

I decided to report this one. The officer that came out to make the report surmised that someone was attracted to the well-lit & relatively private confines of the fenced back yard, the patio light affording plently for them to be able to quietly work the screen latches loose, without being seen. The officer agreed that the locking pins in the window foiled the entry attempt, as the glass would have to have been broken, and would make too much noise. There were no lights left on in front of the house when this happened, and no evidence could be found of an entry attempt at any other point.

The officer also didn't think it was that big of a deal for someone to climb over the fence. The locks on the gates were undisturbed.
That's the problem no matter what you do to secure yourself and belongings some a$$hat will circumvent it eventually only causing you more money pain and grief! Until our laws and enforcement actually start doing more that slap on wrists and set free or not even bothering to come investigate (many reasons why not debating that) only thing you can do is use your 2nd amendment right to bear arms and protect yourself and property!

Moderator cut: See comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-09-2011 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: Recommending violence and/or illegal activity is not condoned on these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio