Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times

Advertisements

Do you drive the toll roads here in Texas and you've got DV or Purple Heart tags on your car ??
If so read this !!!

Veteran Discount Program | TxTag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
I wondered why there wasn't an on going San Antonio photo thread on the forum, I didnt see one. There is the relocation thread with photos, but I didn't see any other SA photo thread. I notice Austin has one, I think it would be nice on the SA forum too, especially with the holiday season coming.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I wondered why there wasn't an on going San Antonio photo thread on the forum, I didnt see one. There is the relocation thread with photos, but I didn't see any other SA photo thread. I notice Austin has one, I think it would be nice on the SA forum too, especially with the holiday season coming.
Your statement in bold above is incorrect. The SA Relocation thread contains a link to the SA Photo thread, a completely separate thread that is exactly like the Austin's or any other forum's Photo thread. The SA Relocation thread does NOT contain any photos. Had you opened the SA Relocation thread, you would have had access directly to the SA Photo thread right there at the top of it.

The reason for this is that we are limited to TWO sticky threads at the top of every forum - right now, the SA Forum has three stickied - one over the limit and only because it is for the SA Events for the Holidays. Once the holidays are over, the Events thread will be unstickied to conform to the City-Data's policy. Note that the only thread stickied at the top of the Austin Forum is its photo thread.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
OK, sorry, I was just interested in seeing some new photos of the area.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-19-2012 at 05:09 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Default To Drivers of Diesel Pickup Trucks

We get it. You're awesome. You can haul whatever you want, whenever you want. You're up higher than everyone else. It's great.

However, when you mod out your exhausts to spit out as much NOx & diesel soot particulates as possible (& then some), you tend to create dark exhaust clouds that are more than twice the size of your own cars, in either direction. Now, at any speed at a traffic light where there is no construction, straight lanes, no merging & not too many parking lot entrances, this isn't a big deal. It's a minor annoyance.

But when you're at the 281/1604 construction pit in the 281-S access road heading into the merge zone, your behavior is downright dangerous. Your cloud of exhaust, for a full 5 seconds, completely blocks the view for people who have to merge in those narrow lanes, since the left lane is blocked off by the construction barrier. Five seconds doesn't seem like much, but at 30-50 mph, one can drive a long distance in 5 seconds. There is zero reason to accelerate pedal to the medal since you're just going to hit the red light on Donella anyways before encountering any 281 entrance ramp.

In short, you, Sir, are a #$&(#. And not the harmless, annoying #$&(#, but the type of #$&(# that actually puts others in danger.

Hope I've given everyone something to think about.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-20-2012 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: thread merged w/OT Chat 11/20/12 - not a SA-specific topic

Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
We get it. You're awesome. You can haul whatever you want, whenever you want. You're up higher than everyone else. It's great.

However, when you mod out your exhausts to spit out as much NOx & diesel soot particulates as possible (& then some), you tend to create dark exhaust clouds that are more than twice the size of your own cars, in either direction. Now, at any speed at a traffic light where there is no construction, straight lanes, no merging & not too many parking lot entrances, this isn't a big deal. It's a minor annoyance.

But when you're at the 281/1604 construction pit in the 281-S access road heading into the merge zone, your behavior is downright dangerous. Your cloud of exhaust, for a full 5 seconds, completely blocks the view for people who have to merge in those narrow lanes, since the left lane is blocked off by the construction barrier. Five seconds doesn't seem like much, but at 30-50 mph, one can drive a long distance in 5 seconds. There is zero reason to accelerate pedal to the medal since you're just going to hit the red light on Donella anyways before encountering any 281 entrance ramp.

In short, you, Sir, are a #$&(#. And not the harmless, annoying #$&(#, but the type of #$&(# that actually puts others in danger.

Hope I've given everyone something to think about.
Yeah I had the pleasure of getting cut off by one of these d bags. There's a special place in hell for these geniuses.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:25 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Last week, I had a diesel truck try to get me to play with him on 410. After a couple of thrusts forward and back, he figured out I wasn't going to bite so he nailed it and a huge cloud of black smoke came out. I don't know what that was supposed to accomplish other than make him look stupid.

I know not all diesel truck drivers are like this but it is usually pretty easy to spot out the ones that drive those things like a bat out of hell by truck appearance alone. (Stickers, balls hanging from bumper, huge smoke stacks, etc)

My car is a magnet for these morons.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
What sort of car is it, Matt?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
2011 Subaru STi

Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,909 times
I own two one ton diesel pick-ups and totally agree with the above posters. Many states have enacted smog tests for those smaller diesels, and the insurance industry should take a good hard look at those trucks with over size lifts. The industry standard used to be a maximum height of 32" from ground to bottom of front bumper. I have witnessed the "little man" complex, many, many times. I'm not a huge advocate of more governmental oversight, however this is a concern that is fully justified. A smaller compact car does not stand a chance in a rear end collision.....and emission control is a given............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio