Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
No thanks. I'm not into the rodeo (don't have anything against it, if you like it more power to you). I don't think anything "should" be done by all Texans. Texas is big and diverse and getting more so - we don't all have to like southwest culture or style just because we live here.

I'm not bitching about it, I'm making fun of it. Two totally different things. Also, I grew up in the southwest, so I know all about fake southwestness. I'm just of the opinion that cowboy hats have a purpose, the same as huge trucks. If you wear a cowboy hat and work in an office, I'm going to tease you. If you own a HUGE truck and never haul a thing with it, I'm going to tease you. I do the same thing with plenty of other things too, not just southwest-y stuff. Basically I think it's silly when anyone tries to cultivate an image that is not who or what they actually are.
But they do have a purpose.... a cowboy hat makes some woman ( and men) smile. Both when they wear it and when we see anyone else wearing one. There is no harm in fantasizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 11:32 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
and the big trucks driven by little "men"? Those are some of the worst, especially in the rain, driving slower than my 95 year old grandma...

Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
But they do have a purpose.... a cowboy hat makes some woman ( and men) smile. Both when they wear it and when we see anyone else wearing one. There is no harm in fantasizing.
I guess the purpose they have for me then is to make me smile when I tease office-workers wearing them about how many cows there are waiting to be wrangled in their cubicles.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
No thanks. I'm not into the rodeo (don't have anything against it, if you like it more power to you). I don't think anything "should" be done by all Texans. Texas is big and diverse and getting more so - we don't all have to like southwest culture or style just because we live here.

I'm not bitching about it, I'm making fun of it. Two totally different things. Also, I grew up in the southwest, so I know all about fake southwestness. I'm just of the opinion that cowboy hats have a purpose, the same as huge trucks. If you wear a cowboy hat and work in an office, I'm going to tease you. If you own a HUGE truck and never haul a thing with it, I'm going to tease you. I do the same thing with plenty of other things too, not just southwest-y stuff. Basically I think it's silly when anyone tries to cultivate an image that is not who or what they actually are.

Oh wow, making fun of it. Well, terrific, then! That makes it so much better. How do you know that the people who work in an office weren't raised wearing hats?

Jeez. People think I'm narrow minded. Holy crap.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Oh wow, making fun of it. Well, terrific, then! That makes it so much better. How do you know that the people who work in an office weren't raised wearing hats?

Jeez. People think I'm narrow minded. Holy crap.
Why should I care if they were raised doing something? I'm sure a lot of people that drive big trucks were raised in a family with big trucks, too. I'm still going to tease them about it if they have a huge dually or 4x4 and I know they never haul anything.

Look, I'm not saying I expect anyone to take my ribbing seriously and change their behavior in any way. I expect people to have enough self-esteem and self-respect to be able to blow off me (or anyone) for poking fun at the fact that they like to play dress up as a cowboy.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Yeah, a person would be in big doo doo with all that sensitivity anywhere I've ever worked. It's pretty brutal, but also quite a bit of fun.. depends on which end you're on.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Yeah, a person would be in big doo doo with all that sensitivity anywhere I've ever worked. It's pretty brutal, but also quite a bit of fun.. depends on which end you're on.
I guess I'm pretty lucky then. We rib each other at work all the time, at least among my project group of 5-10 people.

Then again, I've never seen anyone wearing a hat (cowboy or otherwise) indoors where I work. Either we have no "country" types, they leave their hats at home, or they take them off when they come in the building, as good manners would expect. Trust me, if there were someone swaggering through the building in their cowboy hat and boots I could be just one in a large crowd of people with snarky comments to make.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 PM

There is nothing wrong with teasing as long as it doesn't turn mean. I don't think there is a person on here that can honestly say they wouldn't do something silly if they had the money to throw away. I know I've been eating crow for awhile now and would gladly eat more if i could afford it.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with teasing as long as it doesn't turn mean. I don't think there is a person on here that can honestly say they wouldn't do something silly if they had the money to throw away. I know I've been eating crow for awhile now and would gladly eat more if i could afford it.
This is true. And I fully expect to get the ribbing I deserve if I do something silly. I can take it just as good as I can dish it out.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:49 PM

I wish I could afford to be teased more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio