Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

At the gate with barely an hour to go. Ciao SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
At the gate with barely an hour to go. Ciao SA.
Be happy rd, just be happy, where ever you go what ever you do.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM

I think that won't be a problem. Just hope that 2012 stuff was BS..

Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I think that won't be a problem. Just hope that 2012 stuff was BS..
This IS 2012....

Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 AM

I'm talking about later on this year..

Pretty cold and rainy here, but those few minutes I was on the highway impressed me a LOT. People actually driving like you should drive. FAST and with control. Everyone paying attention and everyone doing what they're supposed to do (get out of the way!). I'm loving it so far.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Great to hear you made it to your destination okay! Now, you'll have to fill us in on all that is good in Germany! Have you seen a place that makes the cuckoo clocks yet, hint, hint! I've seen some beautiful ones brought back from there and I need one w/the little people marching around when it chimes!

Also, what about the price of things... everyday stuff like gas, bread, etc.?

Do take care... while you're trying out all of the beers... and most of all, enjoy yourself!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-15-2012 at 05:38 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 AM

First impression is it's definitely a lot colder. That's going to take some getting used to.. I've been to several different places in Germany, so it's not that different for me. Definitely more BMWs, MBs, Porsches, and Audis, which is a good thing because I love beautiful cars. I will be on the prowl for a cuckoo clock as that has been on my shopping list for decades and here would probably be one of the best places in the world to find one.
I'm also working with the Army now, which will take some refreshing. I've been an Air Force contractor for the past 6 years, so I kinda got used to their not quite so harsh ways of being. It's all good, though, I spent most of my time in working joint and can deal with any service. The funny thing is my CAC still says Air Force on it. That goes over well on an Army base..

Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
so...you know you have kids when you try to brush your teeth in the morning and discover the toothpaste tub filled with....water. I don't even know when they do this stuff. Or how. Or why.

Sigh.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 AM

330 posts, read 587,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
so...you know you have kids when you try to brush your teeth in the morning and discover the toothpaste tub filled with....water. I don't even know when they do this stuff. Or how. Or why.

Sigh.
Yes. All kinds of experimental bs is performed on toiletries in my house. And the kids are spaced so that when one grows out of that phase, another grows into it. I remember playing chemist with my mom's uber expensive skin care stuff. Maybe it's genetic.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM

or walking in the door and being practically knocked over by the smell of nail polish and finding a freshly painted baby and bathroom floor.. I know she's no longer a baby at 3 1/2, but I think she'll always be "the baby" until one of the kids has another, which better not happen anytime soon..

I think I've found the ideal house already. One of the women I work with just happens to be leaving and just happens to have a house not even a mile from where I'm working and it's only 1000 Euro/month plus utilities and you don't have to pay all those fees, which can add up to over $15K. Some things are definitely different here and that's one of them. My company reimburses you for up to $5K in fees, but I would rather never have them in the first place. It's a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house in this little farming area in Griesheim, which is the actual city I'm working in. My hotel is in the heart of Darmstadt and I'm not happy with this location at all. It took about 15 minutes to make it the last block and then another 20 or so minutes and quite a few more blocks to try to find a parking spot. Definitely not something I want to deal with every day. I would MUCH rather spend all of maybe 10 minutes walking to work, sleeping in way later, and my "commute" home being another 10 minute walk. There's also a little grocery store right down the street and the little downtown area is less than a mile from there.
I can't believe the good luck I've been having so far and hopefully it continues.
Now if it would just warm up. I am SO glad I brought sweaters, jackets, and gloves with me. This is no joke really damn cold here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio