Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 AM

2,570 posts, read 7,714,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
to each his own i guess. id be more worried about the homeless ripping everything off (unless your buddies know them personally?) and bringing in lord knows what kind of bugs (lice and chiggers, scabies etc etc).

still though, kudos for helping out people in their time of need, just be extremely careful about it and lock up all guns / valuables.
They have known the couple for a while through non-profit work my friend does. But yes, I am a paranoid sort and personally wouldn't do that unless it was a good friend in need. I have advised her to be careful but she already is, by nature, so I'm sure she'll be fine and she's working to help these people find a new housing situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,611,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
With all due respect, no offense intended, but honestly, I think that some people have drastically different ideas of what constitutes "adequate space".

I think that your comment reflects modern ideas of what is necessary, but others live very simply, and that's ok too. Years ago I lived in an 850 square foot, 2 bedroom apartment with my spouse, baby, and young child. Two bedrooms, living, kitchen.. and with very minimal possessions, it was not any kind of problem.

I think the key is not having a lot of "stuff" and these folks do not have a lot of stuff, very minimalist.

There aren't people all piled up like kittens in the beds and the house is clean and free of clutter so......
as stated, to each his own. if theyre comfortable living like sardines, more power to em.

the situation you describe is akin to something illegal aliens would do, not your average working joe trying to help out a few homeless people.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
as stated, to each his own. if theyre comfortable living like sardines, more power to em.

the situation you describe is akin to something illegal aliens would do, not your average working joe trying to help out a few homeless people.
Well, not to disparage anyone for religion, but this family is Catholic, and Caucasian before anyone assumes otherwise (sorry, I spend a lot of time reading SA news website comment sections and the ethnicity thing always seems to come up so that is the only reason I pointed it out!) , and both sides come from large families so it is something that is more normal to them I suppose.

I came from a family with 2 kids in the house, a single mom raising us for most of our lives, in a 2 story, 2000 sf house with each of us having our own room and there always being an extra bedroom and a second living area AND 2 car garage, so it is not something that I could probably tolerate but like you said, to each their own and I can see how they are okay with it and it works for them. Very large, tight knit family.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,611,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Well, not to disparage anyone for religion, but this family is Catholic, and Caucasian before anyone assumes otherwise (sorry, I spend a lot of time reading SA news website comment sections and the ethnicity thing always seems to come up so that is the only reason I pointed it out!) , and both sides come from large families so it is something that is more normal to them I suppose.

I came from a family with 2 kids in the house, a single mom raising us for most of our lives, in a 2 story, 2000 sf house with each of us having our own room and there always being an extra bedroom and a second living area AND 2 car garage, so it is not something that I could probably tolerate but like you said, to each their own and I can see how they are okay with it and it works for them. Very large, tight knit family.
while everyones situation is different, im roman catholic myself. our family was sort of close, but not to the point where we'd all shack up in one place.

closest that we ever came to that was the vacation to my uncle in IL, but he has a 12 bedroom house out there and pretty much everyone had their own room.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 AM

568 posts, read 958,466 times
Sometimes it is better to "give" than to receive.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM

502 posts, read 930,620 times
Moderator cut: orphaned comment Tell the code compliance guy to **** off! Unless he has a solution to help! We live in America it is your right to do what you want on your property. Yeah it may be a hazard but it's her choice who cares! That's the problem with this city nobody minds there own.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-18-2011 at 02:11 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,742,238 times
Quote:

/i have 1100 sqft and thats barely enough for my wife, myself and my 2 cats!
Before I bought my house, we lived in a 850 sqft apartment...hubby, myself, two kids, birds and the hedgehogs of course It works just fine if you're super-organized. My kids had cargo bunkbeds, the kind with the built-in dresser, desk and bookcase, and then they had a small chest of drawers, so there was plenty of play space in their room. Everything I owned had a place and I didn't keep anything that we didn't need.

Now I've got 1500 sqft plus a 400 sqft garage and we're ending up with lots of clutter. More space just equals more junk for the hubby...he bought a pool table for the dining room, since we eat at the kitchen table, and my garage is a disaster zone (which I refuse to clean alone) except for the corner where I keep my tools and work on my bikes.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Before I bought my house, we lived in a 850 sqft apartment...hubby, myself, two kids, birds and the hedgehogs of course It works just fine if you're super-organized. My kids had cargo bunkbeds, the kind with the built-in dresser, desk and bookcase, and then they had a small chest of drawers, so there was plenty of play space in their room. Everything I owned had a place and I didn't keep anything that we didn't need.

Now I've got 1500 sqft plus a 400 sqft garage and we're ending up with lots of clutter. More space just equals more junk for the hubby...he bought a pool table for the dining room, since we eat at the kitchen table, and my garage is a disaster zone (which I refuse to clean alone) except for the corner where I keep my tools and work on my bikes.
Yes! I am a big proponent of not having any furniture that doesn't do some sort of "double duty" as a place to put stuff, or accomodate guests, etc. By that I mean sleeper sofas, coffee tables with lift-off tops and space inside, kid beds that have drawers under or loft beds that free up floor space underneath.

My mother once lived for a year or so in an itty bitty travel trailer and was fine there, with a dog and a cat even. Most of her time was spent outdoors anyway and she learned to maximize space and keep clutter down.

Now, she lives in a 2000 square foot house, alone, and is "running out of room"! I know a lot of people that will fill up space if they have it, without meaning to. It's the same theory that keeps me from buying huge purses!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:54 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,753,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
More space just equals more junk for the hubby...he bought a pool table for the dining room, since we eat at the kitchen table, and my garage is a disaster zone (which I refuse to clean alone) except for the corner where I keep my tools and work on my bikes.
Okay - that's it - I'm gonna report your post!!!!!!! Talk about sexist!!!!

A man's treasures should be valued by all - especially their mate, who should automatically take it upon themselves to dust, oil or otherwise care for these precious items. After all, we ALL know that men won't collect junk - so it HAS to have a value! Just ask my Dad, who had thousands of precious items stashed away in 4 barns on his place! I bet I salvaged at least half a truckload of stuff out of them....

Just don't talk to my wife....between a 320 sq ft workshop, 3-car garage, 200 sq ft office an' my 200 sq ft "Man Cave" - I have LOTS of important stuff!!!! If I could just get her to relinquish the rest of the house to me, I'd get rid of all the other junk (I mean, who needs guest bedrooms, formal dining rooms, etc) an' turn this place into a REAL treasure trove!!!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM

297 posts, read 726,900 times
San Antonio needs to have a code for how many people that can be stuffed into the cab of a pickup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio