Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,216,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I could be wrong because I haven't checked WorkinTexas.com in about a week, but I think the GEO Group only has two openings in San Antonio that pay a middle class salary, the rest seem to be in the $9 an hour range. There are some positions that pay around $12 to $16 an hour, but they're outside of San Antonio. It might be worth it to drive if you're unemployed and can't find anything else. Karnes City is too far for me. I applied for two positions and got called for an interview. I was told over the phone that the base pay was $9 an hour, but I would get a little more pay for my bachelor's degree. I told them I was looking for at least $14 to $15 an hour and the guy on the phone said that was out of the salary range for the position. No thank you! I make more than $9 an hour now and I don't have to work with juvenile delinquents with mental health issues.

I don't think my education or experience would apply to a job at Halliburton, so I won't have a chance to sell my soul to the devil. Halliburton is not evil because it makes money; it's evil because it has done evil things.
Well it did say average starting salary is $70K. Maybe you should check back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:57 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Where did it say average starting salary 70k? It said a pay range of $9 an hour to $70k a year. No correctional company or government agency has an average starting salary of 70k. I already checked and the same $9 an hour jobs are posted for San Antonio and there are some $32k jobs posted for Karnes City.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 AM

21 posts, read 32,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
He seems to be talking about the GEO Group not Halliburton.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Where did it say average starting salary 70k? It said a pay range of $9 an hour to $70k a year. No correctional company or government agency has an average starting salary of 70k. I already checked and the same $9 an hour jobs are posted for San Antonio and there are some $32k jobs posted for Karnes City.
You're talking about the GEO Group. The GEO Group operates prisons.

The Halliburton jobs will have an average salary of 70k.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivegreen View Post
You're talking about the GEO Group. The GEO Group operates prisons.

The Halliburton jobs will have an average salary of 70k.
That might be where the confusion is coming from, but neither the article nor the video on Halliburton said that the average starting salary will be $70k. The salary range will be between $50k and over $100k. Halliburton is also not advertising these jobs yet. I don't think the place will be done until 2013.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
That might be where the confusion is coming from, but neither the article nor the video on Halliburton said that the average starting salary will be $70k. The salary range will be between $50k and over $100k. Halliburton is also not advertising these jobs yet. I don't think the place will be done until 2013.
The 70k figure was stated by Wolff at the groundbreaking.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivegreen View Post
The 70k figure was stated by Wolff at the groundbreaking.
Oh, okay.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,562,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I hope the sand dune lizard migrates down South and ruins this entire operation. Big oil ruins everything it touches. You'll thank me later.
Good point, I have already heard some of the young women in Floresville complaining that they have been harassed with lewd comments by what look to be oil workers when entering or leaving places of business in Floresville like Walmart and HEB. Lewd comments being hollered at women walking across parking lots with young children in tow. This is not something the people of Floresville, Kennedy or Jourdenton are used to. I'm wondering if the problem will correct itself when this happens while the husband is waiting in the pickup for his wife and kids to return from shopping and he just happens to have the 44 mag between the seats. These folks are not used to people coming in and treating their town like every parking lot is a topless bar.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,793,365 times
I know folks down in Carrizo and they aren't very happy at what this "oil boom" has brought to their community. Most people will say it is a sign of the times and they should just get used to it. Well adjusting is hard when these small towns are not equipped to handle a mass influx of oil companies and all that they entail. And with this exodus comes values that some might see as questionable. Either the lizard will shut it down or it will run dry. I will settle for either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio