Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
I work in another district as a lunch lady as a mobile going to all the schools and the hours work around having kids,weekends and summer and winter breaks off and its not sole income but its a JOB.. In our district 20 hours is considered full time and you can get health and all that. It is sad cause there are loads of adults who think we (lunchladies) have no other choice in what to do but most of the ladies I work with are either grandmas that want a 20hr a week job or moms with degrees like me with younger kids or special need kids. Don't hate on the lunch ladies!
You kind of just proved my point. These jobs are attracting the semi-retired and housewives who don't need full-time employment. Even as a single person, I couldn't live off of those hours and would still be collecting partial unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
I guess this just makes you madder then heck huh?

This year (2011) so far, Texas is more than doubling the rest of the nation, in terms of job growth

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas/1438390-year-2011-so-far-texas-more.html

You know, the state you say lacks the jobs your kind take....

Oh well, off-topic....

SA gets new jobs

Last edited by plwhit; 11-30-2011 at 07:30 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
It may be part time, but it's a foot in the door to maybe full time. Something is better than nothing. I can tell you my hubby was making 80k wasnt thrilled when he was let go and was forced to deliver pizzas because he couldn't find anything. But he did it and still does now as a second job. Sometimes the economy is crap and you just have to make the best of it, even with your degrees.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I guess this just makes you madder then heck huh?

This year (2011) so far, Texas is more than doubling the rest of the nation, in terms of job growth

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas/1438390-year-2011-so-far-texas-more.html

You know, the state you say lacks the jobs your kind take....

Oh well, off-topic....

SA gets new jobs
Yeah, that really has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, but the unemployment rate in Texas is still 8.5% and higher than half of the other states. The unemployment rate in Texas has actually increased over the past year. Some states could care less about job growth because their unemployment rates are already low. Oh, and you didn't mention what kind of job growth. I already know from a previous Texas thread that only about 16% of those new jobs were good paying jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
It may be part time, but it's a foot in the door to maybe full time. Something is better than nothing. I can tell you my hubby was making 80k wasnt thrilled when he was let go and was forced to deliver pizzas because he couldn't find anything. But he did it and still does now as a second job. Sometimes the economy is crap and you just have to make the best of it, even with your degrees.
First of all, I don't have a college degree and never said I did. I'm two weeks away from graduating. The current job I have does not require a degree. Unlike a lot of San Antonians, I never stay unemployed long because I take what's available. The security industry had plenty of full-time jobs that allowed me to pay my bills and eat, so that's what I took.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
L210 it is a stepping stone but if you need some money you need money and maybe all of your unemployment stuff has run out. part time with benefits is better than part time with nothing. It seems to be more of an issue with the amount of folks that think its beneath them to do such work....that still complain that there is nothing out there when yes there is perhaps blue collar and may require you to physically move around buts its there..go look at mikeroweworks.com he has a whole big site about it.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Yeah, that really has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, but the unemployment rate in Texas is still 8.5% and higher than half of the other states. The unemployment rate in Texas has actually increased over the past year. Some states could care less about job growth because their unemployment rates are already low. Oh, and you didn't mention what kind of job growth. I already know from a previous Texas thread that only about 16% of those new jobs were good paying jobs.

First of all, I don't have a college degree and never said I did. I'm two weeks away from graduating. The current job I have does not require a degree. Unlike a lot of San Antonians, I never stay unemployed long because I take what's available. The security industry had plenty of full-time jobs that allowed me to pay my bills and eat, so that's what I took.
There were two reasons I mentioned it. 1) you in a previous post mentioned that you could not take part time or survive on what they pay. 2) many previous posts from others have been people snubbing their noses at call centers, part time, service industry etc just because they feel it is beneath them. So my point to all of that was sometimes you make the best of it. I don't care whether you have a degree or not. Everyones gotta eat, and everyones gotta have a roof over their head.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
L210 it is a stepping stone but if you need some money you need money and maybe all of your unemployment stuff has run out. part time with benefits is better than part time with nothing. It seems to be more of an issue with the amount of folks that think its beneath them to do such work....that still complain that there is nothing out there when yes there is perhaps blue collar and may require you to physically move around buts its there..go look at mikeroweworks.com he has a whole big site about it.
I agree that there is work out there and there is a lot of full-time work at that. Some people think it's beneath them to work security, but there are hundreds of full-time openings right now. There is no excuse for someone without a criminal record and with a high school diploma/GED to be unemployed or even working part-time. There is definitely no excuse for being out of work so long, your unemployment runs out. Security work is not anymore dangerous than many blue collar jobs. It's actually safer than the most popular blue collar jobs.

VIA is also always hiring and they train. You need at least a Class B CDL to get a bus driver job at one of the school districts. They will only train you for the passenger and school endorsements. VIA is paying $13.66 an hour and is training anyone with your regular, Class C driver's license. You start out part-time (up to 32 hours a week) after the initial training, but once you get through the paid, full-time training (which is 8-12 hours a day, 7 days a week for a month), you can get all of the overtime you want. I didn't like being a bus driver, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I were unemployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
There were two reasons I mentioned it. 1) you in a previous post mentioned that you could not take part time or survive on what they pay. 2) many previous posts from others have been people snubbing their noses at call centers, part time, service industry etc just because they feel it is beneath them. So my point to all of that was sometimes you make the best of it. I don't care whether you have a degree or not. Everyones gotta eat, and everyones gotta have a roof over their head.
People complain because San Antonio has always been this way even when the economy was great. I read an article in the San Antonio Express News a few weeks ago that said IT companies here are struggling to find educated people. Rackspace and other IT companies here said that they have to search for qualified employees outside of the state of Texas. There was sort of this Catch 22. The young people who do get technical degrees end up leaving San Antonio because there are no big companies here willing to hire new college graduates. The big companies that do hire new graduates don't set up shop here because many of the educated people have already left. The start-up IT companies that cannot afford to take a chance on new graduates will never have enough local, experienced, IT professionals in the applicant pool as long as college graduates keep on leaving San Antonio.

Last year, I posted an article that said the bio-tech industry here was having trouble finding enough educated people. We already lost the AT&T headquarters to Dallas because Dallas is home to many major operations of high tech companies with which AT&T needs to do business.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 PM

38 posts, read 87,197 times
YES do not HATE the lunchladies, my mother was one too, and she worked at NISD great benefits....sure...lol....she ended up giving up half her checks to pay for them but she had them...not to mention teachers retirement, NO social security at all was taken out due to that. I remember one of her checks being $9.00 I believe because it all went to insurance payments. She got injured on the job and after being on leave for so long was finally told she could no longer be on leave and was going to have to ..be let go...but if she should want to reapply she was welcome at anytime. I recently went to A&M to inquire about getting a teacher certification and was told by the advisor ...."if you are thinking of going to NISD, forget about it, it is the hardest district to get into...next in line was HISD, and of course she did say EISD, and SAISD are always hiriing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio