Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 5,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
Coming from Houston, you are in for a big letdown as far as nightlife. As far as entertainment , all depends what you like
Well, I am currently living in College Station, so let me assure you, nothing can be a letdown at this point. Although, I did grow up in Houston, so I am sure SA will take a little adjustment.

I am down for typical nightlife activities, restaurants, casual bars, higher-end bars, clubs. Are there any concentrations of these activities in SA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM

21 posts, read 32,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvesterUT View Post
Well, I am currently living in College Station, so let me assure you, nothing can be a letdown at this point. Although, I did grow up in Houston, so I am sure SA will take a little adjustment.

I am down for typical nightlife activities, restaurants, casual bars, higher-end bars, clubs. Are there any concentrations of these activities in SA?
The thing is, SA's nightlife isn't a let down. It's just spread out all over that it's hard for people to know about it. It's not centrally located outside of downtown/riverwalk, St. mary's strip and the Main St. Strip (gay district).

Everything else is scattered in the suburbs and a lot of people don't really know about it.

You'd be surprised at how many people I've heard complain and then when I told them about certain lounges and clubs they're shocked to find out about them because they hadn't heard of them.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM

231 posts, read 811,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvesterUT View Post

everything is spread out, my fav places are in north san antonio, downtown is ok once in a while, i cant really recommend a place to live as I dont really like this city in general to be honest, my first recommendation would be to not move here

Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 AM

7 posts, read 21,491 times
Default Places to Live in SA

If you're wanting a small place with basic amenities, there are many apartments for rent on Olmos between McCullough and Shook. They are fairly inexpensive. Also, New England Village is on Melrose close to McCullough, behind Julian Gold. I lived there before buying my house and the rent didn't go up for five years. No washer-dryer though or I'd probably still be there. Olmos Park is pretty close to some of the night life and there are a ton of college kids who do the night life in that area. Good luck! BTW, I [u]love[u] San Antonio!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 AM

915 posts, read 1,895,693 times
everything is not spread out. the hoods you listed are best comparable to a roughly 8 mile strip of SA that is confined within Loop 410. There is very little traffic within this area so if you live there daily life and getting to restaurants/bars is fairly effortless. The area stretches from Olmos Park and the adjacent Alamo Heights in the North through South town/King William in the south. You have some wonderful hoods (in addition to those mentioned) like Monte Vista, Alta Vista, Tobin Hill, Mahncke Park, River Road, and Downtown to consider. @ most you are talking about a 20 minute commute to/from work from these areas do to the reverse commute on I10 (assuming you work regular hrs).

The hoods I mentioned are diverse and each offer their own unique mix of amenities, costs, etc. Living in any of these areas gives you fairly easy access to the rest.

If I was 30 and single, I would forgo the convenience of a major grocery store for the easy walk to the bars/restaurants of king william/south town. if you want much more of a yuppy feel then Alamo Heights is the place. Monte Vista is appealing to a wide range of people for different reasons...

Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM

409 posts, read 1,028,328 times
Why don't you try Potranco area. It seems to be pretty popular on this forum. Why I don't know..

Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,529,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Why don't you try Potranco area. It seems to be pretty popular on this forum. Why I don't know..
The Potranco area has the (No quotations) Alamo Heights of trailer parks. It's called COOL CREST. It's not a bad place to live and I know people who live there. It is sort of like (no quotations) Baily Park in (no quotations) It's a Wonderful Life. There are a lot of differing opinions now on where it is going. That is the basis of the forum. I chose not to live there and moved further south (everybody told me I was making a big mistake). (No quotations) Gone But Not Forgotten started with a conversation about a movie filmed on Potranco road. It had Peter Fonda in it I think. I can't find the movie and I SURE don't want to start THAT thread again.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
I don't know either.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:00 AM

502 posts, read 930,164 times
Potranco was cool...untill all the wannabes moved out there.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 AM

545 posts, read 1,057,008 times
As someone similar to your situation, I'd suggest Medical center or the area around 281/410. If you're doing anything fun or eating something besides jalisco mariscos you're going to be driving to those areas anyway. Lot of quiet neighborhoods and decent apartment complexes off Oakdell Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio