Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times

Advertisements

So I opened up our front door last night and this HUGE spider comes out from behind a planter box and literally starts running towards the open door to get in the house...

I had never seen a spider like this and upon further research it appears it was a Texas Brown Tarantula...

What was so weird was that the spider knew where he wanted to be, in the house... When I slammed the door and went out thru the garage to get a better look, it was using it's 2 front legs to poke under the door, looking for a way in... It was even moving along the length of the door frame trying to find a spot to shimmy in...

Half of a can of wasp spray later it was dead... I don't think the spray killed it though, I think it drowned... Everytime the spray hit it the spider would hunch down on it's lower legs and lift it's front 2 legs up high, like it was ready to fight...

Before the PETA activists say anything about my killing it, let me explain... Hubs was at work and it was only me and kids at home... Our younger daughter is very allergic to any kind of bite... With a simple mosquito bite she swells up horribly... An ant bite or regular spider bite to the ankle has kept her down for 2-3 days because her ankle, foot and leg get so swollen she cannot walk without pain... Her room is the very first room in the house, just inside the front door... There was no way I was going to take a chance that it got in the house and into her room...

Anyway... Here is the picture and no, I did not zoom in...

A friend of mine was saying she heard something about there being a large amount of tarantulas around this season... Anyone know anything about that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 04:29 PM

23 posts, read 91,785 times
It looks more like the trap door spiders everyone is seeing right now. They are not venemous but I wouldn't want to get bit by one either. It would still hurt. They are moving around because of the rains we had recently. Just make sure the house is sealed well so they can't get in.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:43 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
Oh NO! Please don't kill any more! I'm sure if you check...there's probably organizations that will take them and relocate them. I think they're so cool! If anyone near me wanted to be rid of one, I'd be glad to get it. Unfortunately, I live way out in the boonies.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:56 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times
I was doing research last night and I read that trapdoor spiders are runners... When confronted they run and hide... This spider certainly did not do that... It was ready to fight... It must have reared up it's legs about 4-5 times... It seemed very aggressive...

I don't know what kind of spider it was... I would love to know for sure...

@Lee... I would not have killed it had my hubs been home... He would have relocated it... It just seemed to be so intent on getting in the house that I didn't want to take the chance that it woud get into my daughters room...

Old 12-03-2011, 06:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
I found a tarantula dying in my driveway about 2 weeks ago. By the time I found it it was moving slightly and the ants were already taking care of their business with it. First one I had ever seen in the neighborhood.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
What you have there is a trapdoor spider. We called them Grey Wolf or Black Wolf spiders when I was a kid. Where ever you got the information about one running from you apparently has never been to Texas. These guys will come after you as part of their defense. They won't hurt you, they make you hurt yerself. They are also capable of jumping high enough and far enough to just about hit a short person in the face. And yes, they will stand and look like they wanna fight. They are EXTREMELY valuable to have around just like a Tarantula. The reason this guy wanted in the house so bad is because he already knows about the weather coming to yer neighborhood tomorrow. Expect cold crappy weather- the spider told ya so.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:36 PM

417 posts, read 816,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
These guys will come after you as part of their defense. They won't hurt you, they make you hurt yerself. They are also capable of jumping high enough and far enough to just about hit a short person in the face. And yes, they will stand and look like they wanna fight.
Oh, no...I have had three scorpions in my house since I moved to TX, and I could deal with that, but big huge jumping spiders??? I think I'm gonna pass out. I am scared to death of spiders.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:55 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times
Gross, is all I have to say.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:31 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Could be worse.......
Attached Thumbnails
Forget Scorpions, How About Tarantulas???-large-camel-spider.jpg  

Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,888 times
oh come on. Jumping, aggressive tarantulas now!!! When does it end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio