Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,716 times

Advertisements

How do they know you have a sprinkler system installed? Is a permit from they city required for one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 05:31 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
How do they know you have a sprinkler system installed? Is a permit from they city required for one?
Yes, a permit is required for the installation of a sprinkler system within City Limits.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 AM

554 posts, read 1,066,400 times
Does Bexar County have a similar requirement for people living outside the city limits?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:59 PM

863 posts, read 865,865 times
I think it applies to anyone with a sprinkler system that uses SAWS for their water supply. I thought it was an ever other year testing requirement, but lately we've been receiving notices stating that the test needs to be performed annually. Prices for the test range from around $40 to $200. As you would expect, the lower priced ones do nothing but backflow valve testing and the higher priced ones are the full service plumbers. If you don't get it done, SAWS will shut your water off until you prove to them that you've complied with the testing requirement. Of course they will charge a fee for shutting off your water and another to turn it back on.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,972 times
Well, you did not address the filing fee. Never had that before. Just what is the filing fee for? I don't need to file anything. So, I guess that is paying for someone at SAWS to stuff this backflow inspection in a drawer somewhere. Isn't that their job?
Anyway your letter said a filing fee MAY be charged. Tell me when a filing fee is not to be charged.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Morris View Post
Well, you did not address the filing fee. Never had that before. Just what is the filing fee for? I don't need to file anything. So, I guess that is paying for someone at SAWS to stuff this backflow inspection in a drawer somewhere. Isn't that their job?
That would mean the other SAWS ratepayers are subsidizing sprinkler system owners. They probably don't like that idea.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,749 times
Default Can I replace my Back Flow preventer myself?

Had my back flow preventer tested and it failed. The BF preventer is $105 @ Lowe's. Is there any reason I can't replace it myself? Understand I would have to get inspected. Does any one know?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
Yes, you can do it yourself.....

Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,408,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyflh2003 View Post
Had my back flow preventer tested and it failed. The BF preventer is $105 @ Lowe's. Is there any reason I can't replace it myself? Understand I would have to get inspected. Does any one know?
Replacing these are not difficult if you have the aptitude for that type of work. However you will need to obtain a permit from your local Building Department and they will require not only an inspection of the replacement but also the test results from a licensed backflow prevention person. Not sure if your area falls under the San Antonio Building Department or not but this is their WEB site Development Services Department . You should give them a call to determine if they cover your area and what needs to be done to obtain a permit and who can obtain the permit. Backflow prevention is a hot button topic in the State and there might be restrictions on who can perform the work. The SA SAWS department WEB site is San Antonio Water System. There is also information of potential value to you there.

Many Plumbers are also licensed to perform the backflow tests. Yes just because they have a Plumbers license does not make them immediately eligible to perform these tests. However you might be able to find a plumber that is registered with the City (they have lists on the Building Department WEB site) that can replace and test the device all at once. That could save you much aggravation as they can also pull the necessary permits as well.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:39 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,923 times
Although the BF is new a certified BF Inspector has to test it to satisfy SAWS. I'm assuming tbey would install the one you purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio