Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:26 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysay View Post
I was told that Bexar county if offering a $4000 incentive to purchase a home this year. Anyone know anything about that?
WHERE (or from whom) did you hear this??? I would highly doubt this to be true. And if it were possible, just were would the county be getting the money from? Everyone else's property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 PM

155 posts, read 373,179 times
Tread carefully when buying a new home. Kimball Hill just closed its doors yesterday. This means that if you live in an unfinished Kimball Hill community, there will be empty lots for quite a while. Or, worse, the lots will be sold to the highest bidder and who knows what will be built on them.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWeatherman View Post
Tread carefully when buying a new home. Kimball Hill just closed its doors yesterday. This means that if you live in an unfinished Kimball Hill community, there will be empty lots for quite a while. Or, worse, the lots will be sold to the highest bidder and who knows what will be built on them.
wow, really??? i did not know that --- there is a kimball hill community just up the road from us and it didn't seem to be doing well at all --- really nice looking homes but they only had like 3 homes built and i don't know if they were spec homes or if people had actually purchased them --- other than that the whole neighborhood is empty... so sad!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I know I bought with Centex, they did ask us to use their mortgage company, but I didn't really care. TX Vet or the VA determine my interest rates.... and I got a really awesome rate.

I had a ton of incentives, don't know how much were flaky and how much were true, but we looked at about 50 pre-built homes for the same price, and some were literally disasters... crooked floors, 10 year old roofs and ACs, carpenting in 1970s bathrooms, water stains on ceilings... we got a lot of home, for a low price.
That was about 10 months ago, and we've been so pleased. We never once felt duped, their customer service is amazing. We've had very minor issues with the house, but Centex has come to fix them the very next day, no questions asked.
We had a light that was about three inches off from where it was supposed to be. We only noticed cuz we centered our dining room table in front of a window, and the light was oddly not centered on the table. The next day they sent an electritian, a sheet rocker, and a painter. You absolutly can't tell where the light used to be.

I'm so happy with them. I've talked to a lot of my neighbors, and they all feel the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
i agree --- we've been in our Centex home for 7 weeks now and have had wonderful customer service, it's almost unbelievable... and the fact that they have a 2 yr home warranty, as opposed to 1 yr like other builders is awesome...we have had mostly very minor items to be repaired and they are always taken care of the next day or as soon as the item is ordered and received...

the major item we had to have redone, a whole side of our roof, due to a "wrinkling" look they had the roofing management come out, walk the roof, knew we were not happy and today they are replacing the whole side, felt paper included...

i know they have great incentives right now, but they do require you to use their mrtg company --- prior to closing i emailed our good faith from Centex to my credit union and they could not beat it...yes our interest rate was 1/2 percent higher, but we would have had to have paid 5k out of pocket towards closing costs to go thru our CU...
My daughter got a good deal through Centex. Remember though, that your mortgage note WILL be sold within the first year (usually much quicker than that) as Centex sells 100% of their notes.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
My daughter got a good deal through Centex. Remember though, that your mortgage note WILL be sold within the first year (usually much quicker than that) as Centex sells 100% of their notes.
for sure!!! we've only been in our house 7 weeks and it's already been sold to JP Morgan Chase --- we got that info about 2 weeks ago, so it took a whooping 5 weeks to sell...

Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
I have to agree to tread lightly and do your homework. Some incentives are actually translate to desperation in some areas. I just got an email from a home builder I visited THREE YEARS AGO telling me about the mark downs in certain communities! I was shocked because they didn't seem to be too hot to chase me when I was really seriously looking. And I haven't had an email from them in all this time.

Latch on to an experienced Realtor who can help you weed out those trouble spots.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
WHERE (or from whom) did you hear this??? I would highly doubt this to be true. And if it were possible, just were would the county be getting the money from? Everyone else's property taxes?
I'm curious about this too. I've never heard of a "county" offering money for people to buy. That's not where our tax dollars are supposed to go.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 PM

24 posts, read 72,280 times
I am in the process of having a New Leaf Home built in the Bandera/1604 area and they offered us many upgrades for "free" (I'm sure we paid for it somewhere else), but we really jumped to get a house from this builder b/c it's one of the only that offers brick on ALL four sides of their homes as a standard feature. I am not a fan of siding...

Old 12-04-2008, 05:12 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Four sides brick, as in front, left side, right side, and back? Sweet deal! I would jump on that, too! So many only do the brick front, party in the back deal.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 PM

288 posts, read 926,555 times
Last week my mom signed a contract with Gehan Homes off of Overlook Parkway. She has been going back and forth between McMillan and Gehan because they are both in the area she wants to live in, and they had homes in her price range. She had decided to go with McMillan, but then she decided to look at the Gehan floorplan one more time. She logged onto the site and an incentive ad popped up. Get this...$35,000 in upgrades for signing during a certain period! It was simple, you pay the base price and you get all the upgrades automatically. It will be a fully loaded house- sprinkler system, granite, tile, ceiling fans, landscaping and sod, washer and dryer, refrigerator, all stainless appliances, alarm system, blinds, bronze lighting package, bronze levers, 10' ceilings, upgraded cabinets and more! It didn't cost her a penny above the base price of the home. Now, of course she has to use their mortgage company, but that isn't a concern for her. It was a pretty sweet deal, I was happy for her. If she would have gone with McMillan she would have purchased the home without any upgrades. The really cool thing is that the lots that Gehan is building on are the remaining lots of a previously McMillan neighborhood. The homes are very pretty and it is a small gated community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio