Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:08 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,980 times

Advertisements

I have noticed through my home search that many established and newer homes do not have rain gutters installed.In many cases the homes are white stone or lighter in color and due to no gutters are stained all around the base of the home.Is it not required by the builders and is it expensive,on the average, to have them installed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
They are actually quite pricey, yes.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:08 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
You have to be careful with gutters, they will rot your facia boards.

I have TONS of oak trees around my house and we were constantly cleaning out the gutters. We finally just took them down.

Just plant some hedges or have a sidewalk around your house, that should help with rain splatter.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
You have to be careful with gutters, they will rot your facia boards.

I have TONS of oak trees around my house and we were constantly cleaning out the gutters. We finally just took them down.

Just plant some hedges or have a sidewalk around your house, that should help with rain splatter.
I could not agree more...everyone that I know with gutters (to include one of our homes here in SA) have HUGE issues with the water overflowing the gutters due to leaves/very heavy rain fall suddenly causing backup and rotting the facia boards. We even have the leaf guards on ours, but when it is the sudden heavy rain, they can only handle so much depending on the pitch of your house....If you don't have them, it is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,980 times
I agree,they are a pain to keep clean no matter what kind of guard they design to keep stuff out.I'll just have to out-think the splatter problem I guess.Thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,782 times
We had our landscaper place medium sized river rock around the outside where there is no grass, decking or a patio.....instead of doing gutters. It has worked really well for us.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
My dad ended up going with rain chains (Asian design thing) He really is into design and this seemed to solve some issues that he had in the past and it looks pretty cool

Old 08-30-2007, 01:18 PM

226 posts, read 865,758 times
I would like to consider gutters only in the place where the water falls directly on top of the a/c unit outside, and while this is not necessarily bad in the summer, these past 2 winters have been so cold that the unit freezes completely.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I took the gutters off all my properties. All they did was hold water and leaves and rot the facia.
I have one building that is brick and I power wash it once a year to get the color back on the areas close to the ground. Power washing on foot is much easier than being up on a ladder to clean out clogged gutters and the cost of replacing facia boards.
The way it rains arond here, usually, is so fast and furious and then dry for months, gutters are not really much good and too much of a pain to deal with.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 PM

11 posts, read 28,866 times
I was curious about the lack of gutters, too, with our house search. Is there any foundation issues to consider if there are no gutters? Some of the homes we looked at actually had the grade going towards the house from where the water just ran off the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio