U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 PM

93 posts, read 86,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Well, I'm one of those rare people that loves the heat. I don't ever turn my AC on in my house until it's about 85 inside. And anything under 70 outside is chilly to me.

The weather is pretty much A#1 reason Texas is my top pick.
I thought I would like it too..and at first I did. It just wears on you month after month after month.
Your house will get to 85 easily in a few hours ...a/c will be cycling all day.
We lost the a/c this past summer for a few days...after the first day we had to get a hotel room...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 PM

70 posts, read 160,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
I'm originally from Ohio but left there when I joined the military in 1979. So it's been a long time since I lived there, but have been back to visit over the years. You will love it here in the winter, though you may eventually miss seeing snow, but not to the point you would want to go back and live with snow. The toughest part you will probably have a hard time getting used to is the hot dry summers. Temperatures at or over 100the is common from mid July to mid Sept. Also rain is somewhat rare during the summer. I miss the cool, relatively speaking, summers and the green grass and rain of Ohio during the summer. But you definatley should have a job lined up before you get here.
Actually San Antonio gets a good amount of rain in the summer. Usually, not recently of course. In fact summers are typically wetter than winters, according to Wikipedia:

San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I come from SoCal, where you really don't see any rain in the summer, so maybe that's why I notice the summer rains.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 PM

4,037 posts, read 7,263,964 times
I did.

Do it now. Ohio stinks... literally.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 AM

500 posts, read 1,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I did.

Do it now. Ohio stinks... literally.
Man, I wish I could.

Today is the warmest day we've had for a while. It's currently 42 degrees here, with a high of 56. From what I'm seeing, in SA it's currently 69 degrees with a high of 74 and low of 62. What I wouldn't give to have a LOW temp of the day be 6 degrees higher than our HIGH!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 AM

93 posts, read 86,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Man, I wish I could.

Today is the warmest day we've had for a while. It's currently 42 degrees here, with a high of 56. From what I'm seeing, in SA it's currently 69 degrees with a high of 74 and low of 62. What I wouldn't give to have a LOW temp of the day be 6 degrees higher than our HIGH!
Guess Ohio sux. Many seem to agree.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 25,014 times
I moved here from Columbus in 2008.

You might eventually miss the changes in the seasons and the lack of color over time, but on nice sunny days in the "winter" where you can go out in shorts and sandals make it all worth it.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:17 PM

143 posts, read 237,681 times
Just don't underestimate the sun in the summertime... South Texas sun burns. The sun really does feel noticeably hotter on your skin than other places. 90 degree days are possible from late March to early November, and pretty much guaranteed May-September.

A typical San Antonio day in the summer - mornings are bad...muggy, sticky and cloudy. Afternoon will get less humid as the day goes on and the clouds burn off, then by 7-8 pm the drier mid/upper 90s will be the most pleasant, until it gets dark again and the mugginess returns.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:28 PM

27 posts, read 41,880 times
Moved here from Dayton in July (military move)... Lot more options for entertainment nearby in SA but heat and traffic can be a bit of a pain. Economy is also much better here... Oh yeah, gas prices are lower too. All in all a good move but I'm not going to hate on Ohio... We loved our neighborhood (Huber Heights area), people were very friendly, and traffic moved relatively well. Good luck with whatever you choose to do...

Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 AM

398 posts, read 803,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
Actually San Antonio gets a good amount of rain in the summer. Usually, not recently of course. In fact summers are typically wetter than winters, according to Wikipedia:

San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I come from SoCal, where you really don't see any rain in the summer, so maybe that's why I notice the summer rains.
Yes, it's all relative to your point of view. For me, someone who spent over 20 years in the military and traveled the world, San Antonio summer's are dry. However I have never lived in California. But I do know that someone coming from Ohio will find the difference in the frequency of rain events to be quite significant.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 AM

500 posts, read 1,090,056 times
I'm not a big rain fan, either, unless it's a good nighttime thunderstorm drenching.

I honestly think I'm happiest in 80-90 degree sunny weather. I'm downright miserable from early October to late April here. Even though we only have about 3 months of hot, sunny weather here, I think I own three times more tank tops and sandals than I do sweaters and boots, if that tells you anything! lol

Our local radio DJs were talking this morning about their new boss just moving here from SA, and I immediately thought, "What the hell is wrong with you?!?" haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio