U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:07 PM
 
7 posts, read 21,127 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

I'm looking for someone who traps feral hogs or javelinas. I want a live one so i can slaughter it myself for Christmas tamales. So if your a trapper please let me know if you can trap one by the 22nd for me and we can discuss price. Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
239 posts, read 414,342 times
Reputation: 149
DM me your cell number. A co-worker has a ranch in Boerne and he is always trapping hogs and other animals. He said he would be willing to trap one for you. He said he will call you and you guys can discuss the details.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 05:27 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 3,424,958 times
Reputation: 743
For the record you do not want to eat a Javelina...it is not even pork. Nobody eats javelina. They are closer related to Hippos than pigs. They have a musk gland on their back which smells worse than a skunk with diarrhea in a restroom at an Indian restaurant.

My grandmother used to make Tamales from the deer and hogs we shot. She would basically shread the meat from both and mix it evenly. Since both are lean, you dont get that nasty orange grease that you normally get from store bought tamales.

Many know-it-alls will say only a small wild hog will taste good. That is partly true. The key to not having it taste "gamey". Is to shoot & kill it correctly, get the blood drained and gutted (correctly) immediately, and preferably on a colder day. A medium to large hog can still taste fine.

Good Luck with your tamales.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,890,770 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Misled info-but interesting on Javelinas,

I guess a javelina is- a relative of the pig. Scientific name is tayassuidae,
the scientific name for the pig is suidae. It is not related to a hippo or a rodent. And, they sound, squeal, root and act, like a pigs but without doing the damage feral pigs do. Javalinas eat mostly cactus,;lus rattlesnakes.
The meat is supposedly good if the animal is field dressed properly, taking
care in removing the musk gland with the hide. From what I've read they really,
really smell bad - some say the meat is very good, like pork, and others say not... I think the result depends fundamentally upon the way they are cleaned.Removing even hairs off of the meat is crucial as they contain
that musky smell also.
More than a few hunters swear by this savory meat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
For the record you do not want to eat a Javelina...it is not even pork. Nobody eats javelina. They are closer related to Hippos than pigs. They have a musk gland on their back which smells worse than a skunk with diarrhea in a restroom at an Indian restaurant.

My grandmother used to make Tamales from the deer and hogs we shot. She would basically shread the meat from both and mix it evenly. Since both are lean, you dont get that nasty orange grease that you normally get from store bought tamales.

Many know-it-alls will say only a small wild hog will taste good. That is partly true. The key to not having it taste "gamey". Is to shoot & kill it correctly, get the blood drained and gutted (correctly) immediately, and preferably on a colder day. A medium to large hog can still taste fine.

Good Luck with your tamales.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 AM
 
1,066 posts, read 3,424,958 times
Reputation: 743
Like i was saying about know-it-alls especially the ones that use following in their really reliable posts from their first hand knowledge:
"meat is supposedly good "
"From what I've read"
"some say the meat is very good"
"More than a few hunters swear by"

We couldnt even give Javelina meat away to day laborers.

If it was worth eating, it would be sold as an exotic meat.
Exotic Meats USA ®
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
679 posts, read 1,667,774 times
Reputation: 512
I tried wild boar at a game dinner here in the Hill Country. It wasn't my favorite but it is definitely edible. No details on how it was dressed... But in our neck of the woods these creatures are running rampant! I imagine you could get one at a very low price.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,890,770 times
Reputation: 1536
Default From what I saw,

Some are positive, some are not, about this peccary meat.
It is however ,a relative of the pig, not the hippo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Like i was saying about know-it-alls especially the ones that use following in their really reliable posts from their first hand knowledge:
"meat is supposedly good "
"From what I've read"
"some say the meat is very good"
"More than a few hunters swear by"

We couldnt even give Javelina meat away to day laborers.

If it was worth eating, it would be sold as an exotic meat.
Exotic Meats USA ®
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,548 times
Reputation: 10
Default Javalina

FYI javi meat is very good, people are just too lazy to take the time to clean properly.....And it is in the rodent family sonso's
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
2,393 posts, read 9,055,956 times
Reputation: 798
Use gloves when dressing a pig the skin is very nasty (butchers wont even allow a dead pig in the shop with skin, federal law since its so nasty) we have found smaller pigs work best and then slow cook the meat and that will get it to the point you want for tamales.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,890,770 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Sonsillo,

Javelinas are the new world equivalent of Old world pigs- not rodents,
as in, a Tapir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnptKilr View Post
FYI javi meat is very good, people are just too lazy to take the time to clean properly.....And it is in the rodent family sonso's
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top