Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 AM

464 posts, read 803,843 times

Advertisements

Try Montealban on Nacodoches just up the street from Bitters. Really good Chorizo y Huevo tacos. Really good prices too....

Whenever I'm in the area I stop and pick up some to bring back to the office. The staff goes crazy over them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 08:41 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Mine was ok (guisada), but definitely not the best.. wife got egg, bacon, and cheese, and said it was OK too. Should've just stuck with tamales and buñuelos..

Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
There are good tacos almost everywhere, it really comes down to preference in hot sauce and tortilla types, and presentation of bacon and chorizo. In general, I would avoid chains. If they sell phone cards or music cds at the restaurant, you are on the right track

Old 12-24-2011, 08:53 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
I like Chapala's Taco House. It is located on Austin Highway in a small strip center across from Wal Mart. No matter the day of the week, thier barbacoa is fresh. The service is prompt. But the parking lot fills up quickly during the week. Small price to pay for hot fresh tacos.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:05 AM

21 posts, read 57,415 times
If you're in the NE area, I highly recommend Los Generales on Nacogdoches, in between Toepperwein Rd and 1604. It's a great little restaurant. My hubby and I go there every weekend for breakfast tacos, and usually visit one time a week to enjoy the frozen margs.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:45 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Garcias on Fred make the best brisket tacos on earth. And while some laughed at the poster that said bill millers, he's right. They serve an amazing breakfast. Tacos, pancakes, salsa, etc.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:12 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Garcias on Fred make the best brisket tacos on earth. And while some laughed at the poster that said bill millers, he's right. They serve an amazing breakfast. Tacos, pancakes, salsa, etc.
I have heard good things about Garcia's, but I've never been.

As one poster said, it really is about the salsa and tortillas that you prefer. My default breakfast taco is potato and egg. I'll swear by the tortillas and salsa at Jalisco Chapala (McCullough), Taco Garage (Broadway), and Taco Haven (Presa). I used to be a huge Taco Taco fan, and I still like them for their refried beans (which are vegetarian), but I don't go there as much as I used to.

Really, though, it's hard to get a bad breakfast taco in SA. Go up to Austin, however, and they're everywhere! It's annoying, because that city claims to be the birthplace of the breakfast taco, and its residents have no idea what a good tortilla is. My girlfriend lives up there, and we've searched far and wide for a good place, but there aren't any, with the possible exception of La Mexicana on S. First. Seriously, the ability to make a good, fluffy, flour tortilla ends somewhere along I-35. And if the tortilla is no good, neither is the taco!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:19 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Sorry, but anybody touting Bill Miller or Taco Cabana as best tacos in SA must not get out much! I don't know which is best overall but there are literally hundreds of actual Mexican outlets for tacos here. I intend to try them all eventually.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:33 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,469 times
Simple way to figure it out. When I moved home, I moved to area of town I'm not familiar with so I did my old dad's trick to find the good Mexican food places. Drive around your immediate area on a Saturday morning, look for restaurants with the most cars and smallest building. That's probably where the good food is at. Never fails.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:38 PM

204 posts, read 940,378 times
Thanks for the suggestions.

In my opinion, the tortilla is what makes the taco. So do any of these places have homemade, thick tortillas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio