Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 791 times

Advertisements

We live in north east san antonio and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. My husband even drives 37 miles to work because of how much we adore our area! There is a lot to do, people are friendly and it's great. CA traffic is prob just as bad as San Antonio traffic. It's nice here... in the 70's now and really things are easy to find and get to around here...just come on down and give it a try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 12:36 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS91 View Post
Well I'm a 20 year old and thinking of moving from CA to San Antonio for school and just to throw myself out there into something new and out of my comfort zone if you will. I think it'd be easier if I were going to go to a big university living in a dorm and what not but i'm not, i'm going to attend a community college for a specific program (which would be cheaper there than going a different city here in California). I do have a close friend there so she should help me a lot. She pointed out the better part of town to me. But i'm getting a bit frustrated, maybe i'm over thinking it, I need some advice please.
  1. Where should I really start
  2. I've narrowed down the area to move to
  3. I looked into the vehicle/license aspect a bit. Would it be cheaper to sell my car there and buy a used one there then to register it there and all that?
  4. what would be a reasonable amount to actually save before going
  5. should I get myself settled and get a job before going to school?
  6. jobs,insurance anything else i need to worry about when moving to a new city/state
I'd appreciate any advice
Which part of calif are you in? Tex does not have a fee to register your out-of-state vehicle. The registration would most likely be a lot less than you're paying now since Tex charges by "weight", not the "worth" of the car. My car registration was only $75 or so vs $150 or so back in 2005.

Correction: son of a gun, here's another "fee" that is passed on to the Tex newbies, a $90 "new resident tax":

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/drivers/new_residents.htm

Let's stick it to them.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:38 PM

130 posts, read 426,349 times
Do not consider a full move unless you have at least $10,000 in savings to blow. If you can visit for 3 months and then perhaps make a more informed decision.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
Do not consider a full move unless you have at least $10,000 in savings to blow. If you can visit for 3 months and then perhaps make a more informed decision.
If this was true than most people would never be able to move. It is tough for most working Joes to have $10,000 to blow and pretty stupid to quit a job and suck around somewhere for three months.

The more reasonable thing to do would be to get on the California forum and see what they have to say since they are residents and know the area better than any of us who don't live there would know.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Do the community colleges in Texas charge more for non-resident tuition? If so, it might be cheaper to finish school in California. Not that the higher cost should stop you, if you really want to be in Texas - but it is something you should look into, before you move.

In California, the increased cost for non-resident tuition, can amount to thousands of dollars each semester.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:06 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Students go to school in other states all the time - and with a financial aid package worked out, it's perfectly safe. One of the benefits of being a student!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Guess I'd still be in the same place I was about eight moves ago if I followed that advice.
I've done plenty of moves on the cheap, most of them made with about roughly 5 times $$ whatever the average apt rent I expected to pay. That usually covered deposits, first and last months rent, and a couple hundred for minor emergencies. You can drag along used pots and pans, bedding, etc from home and hit yard sales and second hand stores for furnishings until you get settled and can afford to buy better.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Students go to school in other states all the time - and with a financial aid package worked out, it's perfectly safe. One of the benefits of being a student!
... until you have to start paying back that student aid package that you worked out....

Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,587 times
Dont drive on the highways here after 2 AM...getting hit by a wrong way drunk driver is as common as catching a cold

Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Guess I'd still be in the same place I was about eight moves ago if I followed that advice.
I've done plenty of moves on the cheap, most of them made with about roughly 5 times $$ whatever the average apt rent I expected to pay. That usually covered deposits, first and last months rent, and a couple hundred for minor emergencies. You can drag along used pots and pans, bedding, etc from home and hit yard sales and second hand stores for furnishings until you get settled and can afford to buy better.
I would still be living with my parents if I had taken that advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: