Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 PM

10 posts, read 19,310 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am still new to San Antonio.

I just purchased a new Honda vehicle with 5years tires and rims warranty for $600 and mechanical extended warranty for line $2000.. but after I came home and research lil bit online, Japanese cars don't really need mechanican extended warranty.. so I decided to cancel it..

The tires and rims warranty, I am not sure if I need it driving in San Antonio.
I guess some roads are bad sometimes, I always see big tracks in this area too,, but since I am in the military, I will be here only for 3 years.. and the tire warranty is offered by the loco dealer... paying $600 for 3 years is really worth it?? you never know what would happen, but the sales man told me that I would have many chance to get bad tires in San Antonio..

is that really true?? do you think its worth it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
You can get a tire warranty at Discount Tire for about 1/4th that price.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Hmmmm.... never needed tire warranty. What for? I can think of better things to spend my money...

Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hmmmm.... never needed tire warranty. What for? I can think of better things to spend my money...
Tire warranties are helpful. Discount Tire will replace the whole darn thing for free if the warranty is available. It's saved one of my cars once.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 AM

45 posts, read 63,060 times
You need GOOD tires here... glass is all over the place. It does not get cleaned up after wrecks. My wife had the first flat tire of her life about three weeks after we moved here. Neighborhoods are bad, too... beer bottles and such smashed up.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
You and Discount Tire will become good friends. On two tires I picked up a bolt and a drywall screw in the corner next to my sidewall maybe 5 days apart from each other. It wasn't in some neighborhood either - one was 410 and the other on 281. I made my money back with Discount Tire from that alone. That's the only kind of warranty that I'd suggest anyone get, just from all the debris and junk in the road over there.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 AM

10 posts, read 19,310 times
Ohh! thank you guys!! I will check the discount tire and cancel Honda warranty!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 AM

302 posts, read 1,156,106 times
Even if you did have to make a claim on that policy and it saved you an out of pocket expense at that time, the likelyhood of having $600 or more worth of claims in just 3 years is highly unlikely.

A standard size Honda passenger car tire (excluding performance/specialty) is not going to cost much more than $100 -$125 and can likely be had for less even if you had to replace a tire on your own. In my opinion, that particular coverage does not offer a value worth it's expense.

Personally, I have bought and made claims on tire insurance policies with my last 2 vehicles. The cost of my particular tires and the frequency of off road operation made it a worthwile investment in my case. Not a bad idea to have coverage, but there are more cost efficient options out there.

*.. oops, just noticed it covered rims too. I didn't take that into account. But, I still would suggest it's not worth the expense. If you were to have an incident that was bad enough to damage a rim, you'd likely have other damage and be making an accident type claim on your regualar insurance.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^ This.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Yep, I have had the road hazard warranties work in my favor numerous times. While not that bad as compared to places that get a lot of snow and ice, the roads around here can still on occasion offer up opportunities to do some damage to your tires. I've also taken several nails thanks to the construction in our neighborhood. It is good insurance to have for the minimal cost, well worth the peace of mind!

Oh, and I second Discount Tire as well; it is one of my favorite businesses! I wouldn't buy tires from anyone else, and they are located in most states we travel to (see the map on their website) so if you PCS elsewhere it is likely they'll be there as well!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio