Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,998,490 times

Advertisements

Ride along with the DWI patrol as they search for drunks|WOAI: San Antonio News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,912,344 times

Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,815,070 times
Unfortunately my brother in law was an alcoholic and drove a lot when drunk. He was a very intimidating kinda guy and if he hit you, he was ready to fight. Most folks he hit just got back in their cars and left. Regrettably he finally drank himself to death and didn't kill anybody in the process. Unless you've witnessed a true alcoholic up front and personal, you don't realize how damaging they can be. My personal opinion, if they catch you driving drunk it's 30 days in the jailhouse- no exceptions. If the drunk caused an accident, it's in the jailhouse 6 months, no exceptions. If you kill someone, it's 10 years in the big house with no parole. But it doesn't work like that- I have him to base my experiences on. He was arrested far too many times only to get a shyster attorney to get him off. It was a joke with him and seemed like he was trying to make it as bad as possible and still walk out of the courthouse, head to the truck and have a swig. Had the system worked right, he would still be alive and a lot less damage done to others and to the family. When he was sober, he was really a fabulous guy. But to warn others, just because it's morning don't assume the guy driving next to you is sober. He may be so drunk he can't see the end of his hood. Time means nothing to a drunk, he just knows he has to drink and if he has to do it over your dead body, that's okay too. You MUST drive defensively in San Antonio, if not the drunks, the morons with cell phones harpooned in their head will kill you.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,912,344 times
I said this in the thread on Officer Brown, I lost my best friend from high school because of a drunk driver. Unfortunately, it was him! He had several DWIs before his fatal accident, which was not a pretty sight (I'll spare you the details, but it wasn't a way anyone would want to die). He was a great guy, the best friend anyone could ever have, and to this day over twenty years later I still miss him. He had so much potential, but just couldn't grow up after high school was over, as his drinking and driving showed. In the end it killed him.

I really wish he would've had to have spent some time in jail for his earlier offenses, maybe that would have been enough to set him straight. Judges might think they are doing someone a favor by giving them a reduced sentence or letting them off early, but with the major problem we have with repeat offenders there should be no excuse for a second offense. I honestly think it should result in automatic jail time, at least 30 days if you ask me; but for reasons unknown to me our judicial system just hasn't realized the severity of the issue.

Cheers! M2

Old 12-30-2011, 07:51 PM

Out of curiosity, is San Antonio/Bexar County/Whatever having problems with jail overcrowding or something? Is that why so many judges are lax to put these punks right into jail right away? Or is there no such problem & there is zero excuse for putting these drunks back on the streets? Not jail overcrowding is much of an excuse.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 PM

61,341 posts, read 86,235,551 times
Very Nice Article Lauding the San Antonio Police Department's DWI Unit

I wonder if the real Soviet knows that someone is using his name AND saying something nice about Police Department

Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Very Nice Article Lauding the San Antonio Police Department's DWI Unit

I wonder if the real Soviet knows that someone is using his name AND saying something nice about Police Department
I've always said that SAPD was/is infinitely more professional than certain other PDs that may or may not be out there, even if they lied or fudged on a family member's speed reading.

Credit should always be given where credit is due. And the scope of the DWI problem in San Antonio (that has come EXTREMELY close to affecting me on MORE than one occasion....how disturbing is that?!) is horrific enough that SAPD deserves a LOT of credit for their work, even if it could never be enough due to manpower limitations.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:47 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,722,896 times
Although I am not particularly a fan of blood draws, I will admit that this article is great. I am glad to see SAPD doing what they can to keep drunk drivers off the road. I guess I have to see this as an necessary evil.

I can't stand drunk drivers. So irresponsible.

Last edited by Azure110; 12-31-2011 at 01:56 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 02:34 AM

61,341 posts, read 86,235,551 times
Did anyone saw a DWI patrol in action?? I am on the road at odd hours, weekdays and weekends and didn't see DWI patrol doing sobriety test...

Old 12-31-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did anyone saw a DWI patrol in action?? I am on the road at odd hours, weekdays and weekends and didn't see DWI patrol doing sobriety test...
I think that if they're doing their job, you wouldn't be able to tell that they're the DWI patrol. Haha. Great job, SAPD! Get those drunk punks off the roads and behind the 2nd type of bars for 'em that night.....the ones made of IRON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: