Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,174 times

Advertisements

Well, out around the area of St.Hedwig is an old bridge. I can't recall exactly where right off the top of my head. It appears it was some sort of highway bridge.I say that because there was some sort of metal plaque on it,and there were the remains of old yellow stripes on the road. Haven't been out in the area in years,but I probably could find it again if i tried. There is also out in the area of Bexar-Wilson County a road called Scull Road named for Scull reek,which has if I recall ,an iron bridge.Now we didnot drive over the bridge, but there is a low water crossing there. It's again in the Lavernia -St.Hedwig Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 6,409 times
Default Old Historic Bridges of SA/Bexar County

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
ish58gg45

I hope you don't mind, but I broke your post down into paragraphs for easier reading. It was well written, just hard to follow as is...

Thanks! M2
Thank you for taking the time to do so.... and you're right, it is easier to read. Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 PM

Default Old Historic Bridges of SA/Bexar County

Well, here I am again folks to add a little more fuel to the fire, so to speak.

Since my last entry, I have been knocking myself out, you know retired, too hot to trot, nothing to do, blah, blah, blah. I noticed that there was a map on the bottom of page 1 of this forum, but no longer there. (MapQuest data from 2005-2010) I looked for Southton road on this map and as I followed the road southward I noticed that there were two visible waterways. Salado creek, and further down a San Antonio river tributary, both waterways continued under the then Southton road and both are located before crossing the railroad tracks which qualifies both as perhaps the site of the old bridge.

Perhaps it might have been the second waterway where the old bridge might have stood. I will probably have to get my hands on a 1960's road, river, and/or structure map of south Bexar county, if there is such a thing, to see if the old Southton road was diverted further westward and closer to the railroad tracks.

I say this because at looking at the MapQuest version, data from 2005-2010, I can definitely make out a waterway past Salado creek further down the road, a tributary of the San Antonio river. The google maps version 2011 and later, does not show this tributary as does the MapQuest version that was displayed at the bottom of the page of this forum, Old Historic etc........

I was unable to zoom in far enough into the Mapquest version, and so I went back to the google map version and I was able to see "something" to the east, quite a bit to the right of Southton road where this tributary once flowed under Southton road. That "something" I saw resembled an old bridge. I could only zoom in on the top part because since there are no major streets close by I could not come to ground level to see the structure from the side.

I could be wrong but to me, it appears to be a structure closely resembling a bridge. If this is the remaining structure of that old bridge, perhaps it means that the old 1960's Southton road that I am talking about was diverted westward, closer to the railway bridge crossing, and the old bridge abandoned there where it was originally and where it is now. Well, either that or they dragged the old bridge there, that is of course if it is the old bridge. There are other structures in that same area. Further to the right and up a little, there appears to be a smaller span bridge that once crossed over some sort of water way.

There is no water visible now to the east of Southton road off of this tributary. It could be that the tributary was permanently shut off, by filling in that section and it no longer continues eastward under Southton road. They then used that filled in area as a paved over low water crossing. However, to the west of this low water crossing, there is a railway bridge, so that at one time, there was water flowing through that San Antonio river tributary and under Southton road and under where that structure that appears to be the old bridge. On google map, I followed the remains of that once active tributary and it leads me right up to the aforementioned structure. If it is indeed the old bridge, it is now on private property to the east of the present Southton road low water crossing. The structure appears to be a framed bridge with cross bars at the top to hold the side frames together.

If anyone is interested and reading this post and could go on google map to where the second railway bridge appears. Then from this point scan east and upwards(northeast pattern) following the remnants of what appears to be a once San Antonio river tributary until you come to a rusted colored frame structure, then zoom in to that structure. If you could then post and tell me what you think it might be, I would be most appreciative in my old age. Thx

Last edited by Ish58gg45; 08-20-2013 at 06:00 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
The old Trestle bridge was right here....

http://goo.gl/maps/gpdyF

I drove over it many times in the 60's and I'm sure through the seventies. I'm thinking the remains of the old trestle structure could be lying in a field out 37 south just a few miles away. Not sure of the rest of your post.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Thanks SATX56, at least now I know it was here where it stood, and here where and when I saw it.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish58gg45 View Post
Thanks SATX56, at least now I know it was here where it stood, and here where and when I saw it.
You're welcome! It was eerie out there at night. Not much lighting and the old Cold Storage plant has always been there. Since the 60's at least. I don't really recall the condition of the bridge or that is was a wood road surface or not. I remember approaching headed south or east it seemed to angle off to the right or SE somewhat. It wasn't straight in line with the road as I recall. Maybe some gravel on the west side of it.

As I mentioned there's an old trestle bridge sitting off to the west side of I-37 south of Braunig lake somewhere.. Maybe some chance it's the old bridge.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the added info SATX56, I'll look to see if I can find the one you mentioned off of I-37 south of Braunig lake.......

Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Well, I don't know if I'll ever find any photos of that old bridge that once straddled Southton road over the Salado creek, but what I do know is that I've found a pet project that I am truly interested in. This hasn't happened in a while. And the weather being what it is, coupled with not much action to speak off out my front window, I'm rather enjoying this investigative past time to see where it leads me. And with the help of apt members reading the forums I might just crack this case. Sort of like detective work, "I like it". It beats a 36 hour day, or at least that's what it was beginning to feel like....boring....it you get my drift.

Now where was it I left off yesterday, Oh yes, I was able to investigate further the structure which I thought to be an old bridge to the east of Southton road where once a water bearing tributary of the San Antonio river existed. I was successful with the help of google map and satellite map. From the top view which was all I could manage yesterday, I was unable to proclaim, without the benefit of a doubt, that it was a bridge.

However, by positioning my cursor on Southton road, to the left (west) of said structure and making a straight line path avoiding the obstructing trees I was able to zoom in for a side view of the rusted colored to red colored structure. After zooming in and out for the best possible clarity just one more prop was needed. My 4X magnifying glass and Viola! It is indeed a bridge and still straddling over a once water filled tributary. The other crossing, not as impressive as the framed red colored structure, up and to the right, is fairly obvious that it was and is still used as a bridge to cross over a once active water way.

So this still leaves me with no photos or pictures or images, and no doubt that the old bridge that I saw that night did indeed once straddle the location over Salado creek at Southton road.

On with the hunt.........

Last edited by Ish58gg45; 08-21-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,207 times
My interest in the old brackenridge park bridge led me here. What ever became of your hunt for old bridge Ish58gg44?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish58gg45 View Post
Well, I don't know if I'll ever find any photos of that old bridge that once straddled Southton road over the Salado creek, but what I do know is that I've found a pet project that I am truly interested in. This hasn't happened in a while. And the weather being what it is, coupled with not much action to speak off out my front window, I'm rather enjoying this investigative past time to see where it leads me. And with the help of apt members reading the forums I might just crack this case. Sort of like detective work, "I like it". It beats a 36 hour day, or at least that's what it was beginning to feel like....boring....it you get my drift.

Now where was it I left off yesterday, Oh yes, I was able to investigate further the structure which I thought to be an old bridge to the east of Southton road where once a water bearing tributary of the San Antonio river existed. I was successful with the help of google map and satellite map. From the top view which was all I could manage yesterday, I was unable to proclaim, without the benefit of a doubt, that it was a bridge.

However, by positioning my cursor on Southton road, to the left (west) of said structure and making a straight line path avoiding the obstructing trees I was able to zoom in for a side view of the rusted colored to red colored structure. After zooming in and out for the best possible clarity just one more prop was needed. My 4X magnifying glass and Viola! It is indeed a bridge and still straddling over a once water filled tributary. The other crossing, not as impressive as the framed red colored structure, up and to the right, is fairly obvious that it was and is still used as a bridge to cross over a once active water way.

So this still leaves me with no photos or pictures or images, and no doubt that the old bridge that I saw that night did indeed once straddle the location over Salado creek at Southton road.

On with the hunt.........
I thought an old trestle bridge lying in a field south of town could have been it. Last two trips to the coast out I-37 south I saw no signs of it. I'm thinking some fracking outfits may have needed a bridge over a creek somewhere and made use of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio