Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times

Advertisements

FWIW, Sears Roebuck is not a company anymore. The name of the corporation that owns Sears is called Sears Holdings. Its holdings include KMart and Lands End. Lands End is the brand I'd least like to see become a casualty of the management at Sears Holdings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 AM

89 posts, read 148,197 times
i kinda see the writing on the wall.....i worked at the Montgomery Wards at Crossroads, its like that ll over again.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 PM

464 posts, read 804,198 times
If 2012 turns out the way some of the bearish pundits are claiming, Sears won't be the only retail fatality.

It's sad....Sears was a solid American retail icon. For many years Sears failed to keep a youthful market attracted to it. It's clothing lines were far too staid and stodgy to appeal to the youth and although it wouldn't offend your grandmother or your fellow pew mates at church, it just didn't have cache or reflect the modern fashions effectively.

In talking to many native Texans, Sears was THE place where you shopped. Not just for clothes but for appliances, even financial services. It's fair to say that middle class Texans identified with it and the solid value it once provided.

But somewhere in the Sears corporate headquarters there must have been a marketing and development staff whose halcyon days were back when Mitch Miller and Ed Sullivan were on the TV. They failed to change with the times and when they did, it was too little, too late.

As middle class America fades away so do the retail giants that once served them.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
We were just at Sears at Ingram Park Mall buying a treadmill earlier today, the place was packed and seemed to be doing a good business. Granted, it's the post-holiday sales season but we were surprised at how many shoppers were in the store. It doesn't appear that this action has had any affect on their sales.

That said, I do remember when Sears and JC Penny's were the two major retailers, back as a teenager I worked at a mall where they were the two 'anchor points' and most folks did their major purchases (clothes, appliances, etc) there. K-Mart was the 'discount' store of choice, then along came Wal-Mart (as it was known then) and it was a whole different ballgame. Despite many's hatred of the place (we were just there as well), Walmart continues to be the first choice for most Americans as where else can you do most of your shopping in one place?

I would hate to see Sears go under, but there are many retailers from my youth that are just memories today. It's just how things change as time marches on...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
If 2012 turns out the way some of the bearish pundits are claiming, Sears won't be the only retail fatality.

It's sad....Sears was a solid American retail icon. For many years Sears failed to keep a youthful market attracted to it. It's clothing lines were far too staid and stodgy to appeal to the youth and although it wouldn't offend your grandmother or your fellow pew mates at church, it just didn't have cache or reflect the modern fashions effectively.

In talking to many native Texans, Sears was THE place where you shopped. Not just for clothes but for appliances, even financial services. It's fair to say that middle class Texans identified with it and the solid value it once provided.

But somewhere in the Sears corporate headquarters there must have been a marketing and development staff whose halcyon days were back when Mitch Miller and Ed Sullivan were on the TV. They failed to change with the times and when they did, it was too little, too late.

As middle class America fades away so do the retail giants that once served them.
Which is why it will be sad but not sad if Sears ever goes the way of Wards. If you dont change with the times and/or learn from your competitors mistakes, you are doomed to fail.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungemini View Post
i kinda see the writing on the wall.....i worked at the Montgomery Wards at Crossroads, its like that ll over again.
That was a great store, I miss it!

That Sears at Central Park makes me sad. I remember that mall before they tore it down!

I remember getting the winter/Christmas Sears and Pennys catalogs at the house as a young boy and drooling over the pages and pages of toys at the back. Times have definitely changed!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
The Sears at CP is in bad shape, hope they turn it around quick. Sad to lose a great old store.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
FWIW, Sears Roebuck is not a company anymore. The name of the corporation that owns Sears is called Sears Holdings.
Sort of. Sears Roebuck & Co. still exists. It is a subsidiary of Sears Holdings.

Semantics I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio