Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 PM

417 posts, read 816,006 times

Advertisements

If that title doesn't get people to open this thread, I don't know what will

I just got back from Costa Rica. While I was there, I went hiking quite often, and during one hike, these little tiny flies or gnats would bite me and drew blood. They left little scabs on my hands and legs.

Well, today I was driving and my hand really itched. I looked at my hand and saw that one of these bites is swollen and itchy, and feels like a wart. I examined some of the other bites, and they too are also raised. They have a little black spot in the middle. The bites on my legs have started itching and they are raised too.

I have done some internet searches and have a fear that these might be bot fly larva! I don't know for sure, but probably should have a doctor examine them and recommend a treatment. Do any of you know of a doctor in SA that might have some experience with parasites or insect bites? I'm not sure if I'd look for a GP, dermatologist, or someone who specializes in parasites.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,011 times
Call metro health, they have a travel health clinic.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,936 times
Ew! Personally, I'd just call my primary doctor's office and tell them what happened. As soon as possible! Anyway, just go to SOME doctor before something starts crawling out of those things!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,405 times
EVERYONE has parasites in them. We all do!

Conventional medicine is not concerned with parasites, cleansing or detoxification or any of that stuff. To them it's as foreign as a country far away.

If you ever need recommendations on a 100% vegetarian product for parasite or colon cleansing, DM me.

I've used a program for about 6 years and it's an all-encompassing cleansing and detoxification program that WORKS and its natural.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Supposedly you can get rid of the bot fly larvae by covering the bump with a thick layer of vaseline to block the air hole. Then when it comes to the surface to breathe, grab it with tweezers and pull it out.

Not being much of a traveler, I've never had reason to try it myself.

I think your regular doctor should be able to point you in the right direction, or prescribe something for the itching if it's just a slight allergic reaction and not fly larvae.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 AM

239 posts, read 442,192 times
Ooo hope its not a bot fly...i heard thats gonna be painful to pull out. And if it is you are in for an eye opening experience (I personally have not had it but have seen videos on these bot fly larvae and its not pretty to say the least) Good luck

Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 AM

417 posts, read 816,006 times
Thanks. I haven't lived here long enough to have a primary care doctor so I might try the Metro Health suggestion. I have been reading up on bot flies and I hope I don't have them because I have a LOT of bites. But I know that these aren't just typical bug bites because they should be getting better, not worse by now.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
"Is there such a thing as a human bot fly? Yes, we're sorry to say there is. Called the torsalo, Dermatobia hominis, occurs in Mexico and Central America. Fortunately, getting one is an extremely unlikely occurrence for the average visitor."
However there is a lots of info on the internet an you can compare pictures with the bumps on your skin.

Here is an excellent info about what might happen to you:
Arthropods 11
identify the problem
how to get rid of it:
Human Botfly, Bot Fly, Botflies, Torsalo, Dermatobia hominis

Obviously you can help yourself following pretty simple instructions. Cut off the oxygen supply by covering the bump with camphor oil, Vicks VapoRoob, glue or tape. After you pull out the DEAD larvae, you need to cover the hole with antiseptic ointment like Neosporin. If you detect many of those bumps on your body, probably a visit to the doctor is a better idea. Depends on your insurance, you can visit the dermatologist directly or get a referral from your family physician.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
I just got back from Costa Rica. While I was there, I went hiking quite often, and during one hike, these little tiny flies or gnats would bite me and drew blood. They left little scabs on my hands and legs.

Well, today I was driving and my hand really itched. I looked at my hand and saw that one of these bites is swollen and itchy, and feels like a wart. I examined some of the other bites, and they too are also raised. They have a little black spot in the middle. The bites on my legs have started itching and they are raised too.
This really sounds more like chigger bites, especially since you went hiking quite a bit. They do all those things you've listed... not just the little red bumps you see on some of the pictures about them. They'll itch like crazy, and the area will swell and harden for some time.

Hopefully, this is all that it is, though they certainly are bad enough by themselves! I hate them with a passion 'cause they love me!

If you're unsure at all, do see a doctor -- at least the doctor can give you a shot, as well as meds, for the itching.

Take care & good luck to ya!

Old 01-07-2012, 05:56 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I sure hope that BstYet2Be is right! Its always good to read about health issues before traveling somewhere: Health Information for Travelers to Costa Rica - Travelers' Health - CDC

The chigger's piercing mouth parts are short and delicate, and can penetrate only thin skin or where the skin wrinkles and folds.
That's why most chigger bites are around the ankles, the back of the knees, about the crotch, under the belt line and in the armpits.
Scratching kills them. Itching usually peaks a day or two after the bite occurs.
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/av...pests/chiggers

Last edited by elnina; 01-07-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio