Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:22 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times

Advertisements

You sound like a responsible pet owner. As an owner of three dogs, one that is prone to ear infections, I know how much work and love animals require. Don't worry about defending yourself......do what you think is right and the best in the long run for your pet. Different opinions make the world go'round. If we all agreed with each other it would be boring!

Good luck to you.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Quote:
Don't feel sorry for my pets they are treated better than most children. They are taken to the vet on schedule, and on heartworm, fleas, tick, programs...[cut for length] Also, the reason most vets don't do it has nothing to do with "your statements"... It is not taught in vet school as it is a specialty that veterinarians learn after graduation if they chose to offer this service.
And yet, you are going to offer up your beautiful puppy, a creature that is perfect in God's eyes, to have its ears brutally mutilated. The poster doth protest too much.

You know, they used to regularly dock a horse's tail. It was to give them a dashing, jaunty air as they pulled a coach, or were ridden in fashionable parks. Now it's considered to be cruel beyond measure. Tail docking, ear cropping and declawing are all on their way out for the same reason.

It is already against the law to crop ears on dogs in many other countries including the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore. Tail docking is banned in Great Britain, Greece, Italy, and Portugal. Both tail docking and ear cropping are banned in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Israel, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, South Africa, Cyprus, and the Virgin Islands. The Italian cities of Turin and Rome ban both of these practices.

Quote:
So how do your pets fair? You seem like the type to worry about everybody elses business while your own suffers... They probably are over due on vaccinations, left to have puppies/kittens at will and roam the nieghborhoods. Have a great day....
Ad hominem attacks are the sign of a person who doesn't have a valid argument to make.

Last edited by Rockin' The TriCities; 09-04-2007 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Edited to add the countries that have banned cosmetic mutilation

Old 09-04-2007, 08:23 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Man, if only some of us dog lovers could be as caring for some of our fellow human beings, lol.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
well, for some of us the dogs treat us better than our fellow human beings... I've never met a dog that wouldn't give 100% unconditional love and I have yet to meet a human I could say that about..

Old 09-04-2007, 01:57 PM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times
I hate to see this get ugly, but as a former vet tech I am VERY surprised you bought your dog from a "Back Yard Breeder" No reputable breeder would EVER place an ad in a newspaper... reputable breeders have waitlists for their dogs, often before the puppies are even born (sometimes even before they are conceived.)
I bet your animals have wonderful lives, I really don't doubt that. But next time you want a puppy, please look into the term backyard breeder. As a vet tech, I can't imagine you would support it.

As far as ear cropping goes, it is cruel and not necessary. But to each his own. I guess I'm just sad that there are people in the Vet. world that support both BYB and ear cropping.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGLES123 View Post
So how do your pets fair? You seem like the type to worry about everybody elses business while your own suffers... They probably are over due on vaccinations, left to have puppies/kittens at will and roam the nieghborhoods. Have a great day....
Wow...all I can say is wow....I don't think anyone insulted you as a person, just simply asked you to reconsider having this done to your dog. Maybe I missed something? But for you to come back and insenuate that whoever (it could have been any one of us who posted asking you to reconsider) it was you were referring to doesn't care about their dog or cat...

Wow...

Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I'm pretty sure that was directed at me, because I said I felt sorry for the OP's dog. Which I do. Like how I feel bad for puppies bred in puppy mills, and dogs that are used for medical research. That's when the OP lashed out with the ad hominem.

Like I said in my post, when all you have left is personal attacks, you've lost the argument and any moral ground you might have had.

On another note, I didn't catch the bit about backyard breeders. Having done a lot of research on puppy mills and backyard breeders I have to second Lauren0319's post about how byb's are a deeply unethical way to get a puppy. While in an ideal world everyone would rescue a dog, I know that sometimes people prefer a particular breed of dog. It is the only ethical thing to do to carefully research breeders and purchase from a quality breeder. A really good breeder is so careful about where his/her puppies end up that often it will feel like they are screening and researching you! That's how it should be. Buying a trendy breed from someone who has decided to cash in on a craze for labradoodles or toy chihuahuas or whatever is not a good decision.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:55 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGLES123 View Post
I just wondered if anybody here knows of a vet clinic in San Antonio or Bulverde that does "ear cropping"? I will call around but being new to area I don't know who does or doesn't. I asked at Pet Co and the vet there said it is a "specialty service" not taught in vet school so I will have to see unless somebody here knows...
Can you tell me why you would want to have your dogs ears mutilated ? it is illegal where I am from and can see why. Barbaric as bad as having cats declawed

Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 AM

260 posts, read 1,135,756 times
I understand the thoughts of those who oppose ear / tail cropping, but using inflammatory language like "mutilated" doesn't help the emotion level of the discussion. Cropping is a cosmetic surgery in today's world, where we don't need the modifications for things like hunting anymore. Most kennel clubs have done away with requirements for cropping in the breed guidelines, but it wasn't so long ago that it was REQUIRED for a pure-bred dog of certain breeds. Instead of some of the really harsh responses I've seen, I recommend politely explaining that cropping is falling out of favor, and explain why.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:30 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
Well said Chips.....

Someone gave me a negative on my reputation and said I supported animal cruelty because of my previous post. I have 3 dogs that were all adopted from shelters and are well taken care of....that hardly makes me cruel.

I get somewhat amazed that people have cosmetic surgury, botox, collegen, etc and support those efforts for others but get so overly personal when it comes to an animal procedure such as declawing or cropping of ears or tails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio