Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts

Advertisements

Well, I'll tell you why it's different for a person to have a facelift - a person can give consent. Animals cannot. So, if you want to go have a facelift, more power to you. As a consenting adult over the age of 18, you can make a judgment call and weigh the pros and cons, make an informed decision, sign a consent form saying that you understand the risks and benefits of surgery... Your animal doesn't have the ability to raise its paw and say, yes! I want perky ears! And I understand all the risks, benefits and outcomes thereof! So it's a false syllogism to even compare human plastic surgery to animal "plastic surgery".

I'm of the opinion that changing an animal's appearance soley for cosmetic purposes is, indeed, mutilation. Other people don't agree with me, which is fine, but I'm not going to change what I call it just to avoid hurting someone's delicate sensibilities.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,536 times
Wow...some people take these issues way too seriously. I thought this was a board to ask questions and get information...not personal attacks for opinions that we are all entitled to. I would not get any cosmetic surgery for my pet but that is "MY" opinion and choice. I only support the idea that it is my choice to make as it was "Tangles" choice and no one should be treated to rude remarks as she/he was just for asking a question.

It comes down to common curtesy that everyone should be given....regardless of opinions.

I assume you are the one that said I supported cruelty.....so be it.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I think it's hard to be too serious when it comes to animal rights. We are charged by God to care for them. It's up to us to speak for them, and to protect them.

Quote:
I only support the idea that it is my choice to make as it was "Tangles" choice and no one should be treated to rude remarks as she/he was just for asking a question.
To take that statement to its logical conclusion, substitute "ear cropping" for "dog fighting". Do you support someone's right to use their dogs to make money by fighting other dogs? Or to sell them to research labs? It's their choice right? It's not your choice to sell Fido for medical experimentation, but hey, to each their own. That's the end of the primrose path of allowing people to do what they want with their pets.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 AM

Again.....WOW......that's it....just WOW!!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I'm seriously interested in discussing this with you, but when all you post is

Quote:
Again.....WOW......that's it....just WOW!!!!
it makes it sort of difficult.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 AM

A discussion is one where there is a valid give a take of ideas and thoughts without any malice or rudeness. In all sincerity....you do not want a discussion you want to lecture and draw extreme conclusions.

To my own defense, I never said I supported the decision to do the procedure, I just supported his/her's (Tangles) right to have an opinion or choice.

We have a difference of opinion and in my case...I respect your opinion just not manner in which you state it.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:52 AM

469 posts, read 2,341,703 times
It may actually be a somewhat moot point as it stands right now. There are very few veterinarians left that will do the proceedure. 10 years ago when I was a vet tech it was becoming a rarity even then since it's an elective that most vets find unpleasant.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,817,957 times
The AKC standard states that the ears can be cropped or uncropped:
American Kennel Club - Miniature Pinscher

Does everyone who advertises puppies in a newspaper deserve the lable of "evil backyard breeder"? I don't think so. We bought our golden from a lady up in Boerne two years ago. We saw the entire litter as well as the parents. She produced the AKC paperwork (without us asking) for the parents. I was also shown where they lived, they were housebroken, and had all the age appropriate immunizations.

All of the dogs were obviously well cared for so I had no reservations whatsoever buying the puppy from her.

She told us if things didn't work out we could bring him back. We brought him home and had him checked out by the vet with no problems.

She even called us a few weeks later to see how things were going.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:39 PM

759 posts, read 3,688,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
The AKC standard states that the ears can be cropped or uncropped:
American Kennel Club - Miniature Pinscher

Does everyone who advertises puppies in a newspaper deserve the lable of "evil backyard breeder"? I don't think so. We bought our golden from a lady up in Boerne two years ago. We saw the entire litter as well as the parents. She produced the AKC paperwork (without us asking) for the parents. I was also shown where they lived, they were housebroken, and had all the age appropriate immunizations.

All of the dogs were obviously well cared for so I had no reservations whatsoever buying the puppy from her.

She told us if things didn't work out we could bring him back. We brought him home and had him checked out by the vet with no problems.

She even called us a few weeks later to see how things were going.
YES- If a breeder must PAY money to advertise in the newspaper, then YES they are a BYB. BYBers are not bad people... they are just not educated about breeding. The same with people that buy from BYB.. not educated in breeding. No reputable breeder would advertise in the newspaper... most have waitlists... ever before the pups are born. I have a good friend wait 2 years for a Golden. Seriously, 2 years!
AKC paperwork means nothing. Did the lady test her dogs before breeding? Did she show you the results of the tests? How were the hips? That would be a big worry for me.
I have no doubt you have an amazing golden- they are amazing dogs!!! But research BYB before you buy another.

Google "backyard breeder" This is what I found.

Quoting Google-

Probably the best definition I have found so far to answer "What is a back yard breeder (BYB)?" comes from Boxerworld.com:

Moderator cut: copyrighted material has been deleted. Please refer to the forum rules as well as the statement from the article that it may not be reproduced:

No part of this article may be reproduced without written permission from Karen Peak

© by West Wind Dog Training, 2000 - 2002
No Puppy Mills, VA 2003

A good breeder takes a LIFETIME interest in ALL dogs produced. They want to know how your dog does in it's new home, love getting calls and cards from you and are always there to advise you of a problem comes up. If a medical condition crops up, they want to know so if it is potentially hereditary, they can alter the program and try to stop the problem in future generations. A good breeder is a mentor and best friend to all buyers and dogs they produced. And a good breeder will sell with a spay/neuter contract or alter the puppy or dog before placement!

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-24-2007 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: You may post a link to the article but not the article itself.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:31 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
That was an awesome post. Two thumbs up and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio