Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Forgive my "older than dirt" position, but unless you are going to SLEEP with someone, what difference does it make if they are straight or gay????? I have friends and folks that I admire and respect that are both....but it is what we have in COMMON that connects us....NOT who we sleep with.
Agree 1000% with Paka.

Fyi the gay bars in San Antonio are on Main St. and their about ten.

Alamo Ranch will get bars as the area ages. Has anyone driven by Stone Oak and Huebner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:08 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Forgive my "older than dirt" position, but unless you are going to SLEEP with someone, what difference does it make if they are straight or gay????? I have friends and folks that I admire and respect that are both....but it is what we have in COMMON that connects us....NOT who we sleep with.
I am not sure if that was directed towards me. It makes no difference to me if a bar caters to gay people or straight people. I was just answering to ohmanthatsneato's post.

The only time I saw people being denied entry to a gay bar was in Tokyo's gay district. If you don't speak japanese, they will not let you in. I think it was a way for the Japanese to keep out foreigners.

Imagine the reaction that would bring here if a bar (gay or straight) denied you entry because you don't speak English.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM

501 posts, read 948,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Gay bars cater to both. I have never seen or heard of a gay bar that specifically excludes straight folks.

You will find more straight women at a gay bar than straight men but both are usually seen at them.
I get that, I'm a straight man who's been to gay bars.

I'm just saying, it just doesn't make sense that it be a "gay" bar and not just a bar where gays and straights can go to.

Imagine a person wanting to open up a "straight" bar in an area filled with gay bars.

Doesn't make sense. Just open a bar, if the clientele is or becomes largely gay, then by sheer virtue it will become a "gay bar".

Don't force it.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM

431 posts, read 765,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Gay bars cater to both. I have never seen or heard of a gay bar that specifically excludes straight folks.

You will find more straight women at a gay bar than straight men but both are usually seen at them.
happens all the time. people are just afraid to speak out against the gay community .

just like the gay guy who was thrown out of the bar last week. everyone blamed the bar when it was the gar persons fault. (threw a glass at a bartender)

but back on point, yes the area needs a "BAR". just think a closer bars means less drunks on the street. we all know how much this forum loves to bash drivers who happen to drink

Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
happens all the time. people are just afraid to speak out against the gay community .

just like the gay guy who was thrown out of the bar last week. everyone blamed the bar when it was the gar persons fault. (threw a glass at a bartender)

but back on point, yes the area needs a "BAR". just think a closer bars means less drunks on the street. we all know how much this forum loves to bash drivers who happen to drink
Driving after a couple of beers with some friends sounds fine. I do it all the time. Driving after tons of booze and plowing into a house, another car or a human being (or all 3 at once! ) does not sound fine. Unfortunately, it happens all the time in this town.

The two situations are worlds apart. Responsible drinking is the keyword here.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
I get that, I'm a straight man who's been to gay bars.

I'm just saying, it just doesn't make sense that it be a "gay" bar and not just a bar where gays and straights can go to.

Imagine a person wanting to open up a "straight" bar in an area filled with gay bars.

Doesn't make sense. Just open a bar, if the clientele is or becomes largely gay, then by sheer virtue it will become a "gay bar".

Don't force it.
This isn't even worth fussing about. If it matters that much to you, then I am sorry.

If there is anything I have learned on this forum, I have learned that there are people here that are "always right" and those people I just need to stop caring what they think.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post

I have no idea what your response has to do with my post that you quoted. Re-read my post that you quoted and see what it has to do with 1) a gay person being kicked out of a bar, & 2) people being afraid to speak out against gay community. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM

23 posts, read 65,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
There is a sports bar on Potranco, sorry I can't recall the name but it's a lil hole in the wall type place near Grossenbacher. Never been but drive by it all the time.
It's called Backyard Sports Bar. There also used to be a bar/club called Tryst at Bandera/1604. I don't know if its still open.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,800,944 times
Backyard has been closed for some time now has it not??? And yes this area does need a dive bar. Chili's, 54th street, Longhorn Steakhouse, Olive Garden, etc. does not count as a bar. We need a dimly lit bar w/ a solid jukebox. And everybody is welcome. Gay, strait, black, white, brown. At the end of the day the beer is golden and does not know color. I'd be the "Norm" of the dive bar if we ever do get one though. Hooray Beer!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
There's one at Tally & Wiseman. Tally Tavern I think. It's where the old Miller Wood working was, the guy that built the sheds. He did good work, he built our barn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio