Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times

Advertisements

It's worse in different parts of town. By my work in westover hills I see someone almose everyday run a red light. But over by my house (alamo hts area) l never see anyone run the red lights. It seems the road layout helps cause the problem. 1604 having stop lights is pretty insane. The roads close to Alamo hts are narrow and have low speeds.

Last edited by rynetwo; 01-31-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
It's worse in different parts of town. By my work in westover hills I see someone almose everyday run a red light. But over by my house (alamo hts area) l never see anyone run the red lights. It seems the road layout helps cause the problem. 1604 having stop lights is pretty insane. The roads close to Alamo hts are narrow and have low speeds.

Plus AHPD are ricks. Replace the "R." Gave me ticket once for my license plate illumination light being too low and he not being able to read it. Needless to say, for poops and giggles, I got in touch with some old physic friends and we determined that the brightness of the light was more than enough to be seen by the human eye with correctable vision to the power of 20/30 in both eyes. Had some other mumbo jumbo and I presented it in front of the judge and cop. Judge laughed and just told me to get the hell out of there and dismissed everything. I replaced the light anyways (Looks EXACTLY the same) but it was a total bogus charge and I still for the life of me, can't figure out why.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
I totally agree that the best course of action would be to get people to do their job, but since the prevailing opinion seems to be that won't ever happen perhaps putting some machines in place is the answer.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 PM

381 posts, read 767,938 times
I think people run red lights as a hobby around here! I lost count of how many times these morons just blow right through the freaking red lights, even if it turned red a long time ago. They even accelerate as much as they can. I guess they rather kill themselves or someone else instead of waiting for a few freaking minutes. I will never understand why these people are in such a hurry. Just to get to their couch and sit on their buts perhaps?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Well, as for the camera outfits losing out in many applications..... I think I just saw the other day where they've talked the city or school districts into letting them install cameras on school buses. These would be to catch motorists failing to stop when the buses signs are out. This could bring the craziest, most confusing photos from odd angles and narrow views. More court fights and costs These people get 90% of all fines collected. I think they'll be trying to prove every photo shows a law breaker. We may have to avoid driving anywhere near a school bus. We need more police presence seen writing tickets.

..I've always been one that wanted police to concentrate more on other crime. But, it's gone too far and now traffic requires more attention.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
So, yesterday morning while running errands I'm sitting at the red light at Potranco and 1604. I'm heading east, away from Westcreek for reference.
My light turns green, I do my normal of checking to make sure cross traffic is/has stopped and I see a car coming from the North on 1604 that doesn't appear to be slowing at all so I don't budge.
Easily 5 seconds after my light turned green this guy blows through the light. I'm agitated because if someone wasn't paying attention it's a major accident in the making, but that's not the worst of it.
Right behind him is a Bexar County Sheriff, but he actually stopped for the red light.

I expected him to throw on his lights and sirens and go get this guy but he just sits there at the light!

So, they'll write speeding tickets (my wife has gotten two in 8 months but I'm not complaining) but to me a greater hazard in this city is the red light running.

Why aren't they enforcing this?

I hate to say it but this city needs a bunch of red light cameras. Maybe that will lessen the problem some.
I've been thinking on this overnight and the conclusion is that Bexar county Sheriff's Officer do not have jurisdiction within city limits, only in the county outside of cities.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I've been thinking on this overnight and the conclusion is that Bexar county Sheriff's Officer do not have jurisdiction within city limits, only in the county outside of cities.
Are you sure about that?

Quote:
[SIZE=4]The sheriff has countywide jurisdiction, but in practice, most sheriffs’ offices concentrate their activities outside city limits where municipal officers cannot operate.[/SIZE]
Denton County, Texas - Sheriff

I always figured that's why apartment complexes ask for SAPD and Bexar County sheriffs for courtesy officer positions.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
Red light cameras? Hell no. I never go through Balcones Heights or shop at any location there because of them. Not that I run red lights, but as far as they are concerned, its for revenue and not safety

Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
I think people run red lights as a hobby around here! I lost count of how many times these morons just blow right through the freaking red lights, even if it turned red a long time ago. They even accelerate as much as they can. I guess they rather kill themselves or someone else instead of waiting for a few freaking minutes. I will never understand why these people are in such a hurry. Just to get to their couch and sit on their buts perhaps?
Buffet closes at 9

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Red light cameras? Hell no. I never go through Balcones Heights or shop at any location there because of them. Not that I run red lights, but as far as they are concerned, its for revenue and not safety
So what's your solution then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio