Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:16 AM

61,786 posts, read 87,244,588 times

Advertisements

An estimated 4.8 million Texans live in HOA communities. New laws are designed to curb abuses especially foreclosures. But there are other changes. If interested, please read this:
New HOA Laws «
THHR-Site Index
Good Fences: San Antonio Texas Homeowners Association Attorney - HOA Lawyer Blog interesting HOA lawyer blog

Current homeowners who belong to an HOA should review the new laws and be sure that your organization is up-to-date on the proper procedures.

Beanie Adolph, HOA reform project director of the Texas Housing Justice League, said : “I wish I could say that they're all wonderful changes, but we're happy for any beginning.”

Last edited by elnina; 02-04-2012 at 01:30 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 02:53 PM

944 posts, read 2,042,147 times
I wish they would make it illegal for an HOA to require people to have grass lawns.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,091,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
I wish they would make it illegal for an HOA to require people to have grass lawns.
I agree, the amount of lawn care services, fertilizer and water I spend on maintaining my lawn is ridiculous.

Check out some of these artificial turf alternatives. A friend of mine put one of these in and it is very hard to tell from the real thing.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/22845125-post16.html

Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 PM

944 posts, read 2,042,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I agree, the amount of lawn care services, fertilizer and water I spend on maintaining my lawn is ridiculous.

Check out some of these artificial turf alternatives. A friend of mine put one of these in and it is very hard to tell from the real thing.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/22845125-post16.html
Not to mention that at least in the recent droughts, the water usage is murder on the local water supplies. With the population growth Texas is experiencing we need to stop landscaping like we live in wetter climates, in my opinion.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 PM

422 posts, read 757,387 times
HOA were being abusive to homeowners and downright stupid, so they got squashed
by legislation....sucks when you don't have high paid lawyers backing you up huh HOA...
score one for us..

Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,892,181 times
It's a good start, I think we need more.

I'll admit, I chose a neighborhood with a HOA because I wanted to live where people couldn't put up chain-link fences in the front yard and park junkers on the lawn forever. But sometimes they get carried away and the woman who runs ours thinks she's the god of the neighborhood. I haven't had any problems with her personally but one of my friends is having a lot of trouble, being fined for unreasonable things (for example, the hoa painted over graffiti on her fence and then fined her for having a fence that was two different colors) and told that she wasn't allowed to mow her yard herself while she was pregnant.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:33 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,048,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
told that she wasn't allowed to mow her yard herself while she was pregnant.
What?!? She's taking lessons from Washington, or something. Ridiculous.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,892,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
What?!? She's taking lessons from Washington, or something. Ridiculous.
No kidding. And my neighbor is a sweet little girl, not a mean old broad like me and she actually lets this woman boss her around. I told her the next time the woman stops by the house to tell her to do something, to ask her to contact her in writing in the future, like they do all the other homeowners in the neighborhood. That should cut down on the ridiculous requests, or at least provide proof that it's going on.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 PM

502 posts, read 934,862 times
Eh I do what I want now in my hoa...all I had to do was prove I wasn't a pushover and I have my own team of lawyers to back me up...never been harnessed again. Now I'm not gonna let my yard get all crazy or start a junkyard lol

Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 AM

40 posts, read 120,325 times
For those who think the new laws are to their advantage, think again. Wait until you no longer have enough money in your HOA bank account to pay your attorneys to take a collection process to foreclosure. Especially if your subdivison is small and your dues are low. Your HOA will be bankrupt in a very short amount of time. Then, how will you keep the lights on or have the common area maintained? And who will be paying for the mandatory insurance policy your HOA must maintain? In short, your neighborhood will go down the tubes, and all of the homes will loose value. It's too bad a few bad people messed this up for the HOAs that were well run. The fall out is going to be immense. You will not like the results. HOAs were orginally put into place as a way for the City to transfer land to a subdivison - that way, the City wouldn't have to pay to maintain the common areas. Now you have homeowners who think they hate their HOA and wish they would go away. Careful what you wish for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio