Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

I've been with sprint for a couple of years now. I've always had good signal, but data speeds have been extremely mediocre for 3G, and 4G is alright, but no where near other carriers. They used to be pretty inexpensive, but then tacked on $10 smart phone charge and now they're only applying corporate discounts to the main line.

Looking at T-Mobile, they have their all unlimited plan for $99/2 lines. Just curious how their signal is here. I'm on the west side of town, at culebra and 1604. Anyone have a 4G phone with them? If so, what kind of speeds do you get? Any experiences with customer service? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
I was with T-Mobile for 12 years and left because of lousy reception and dropped calls. I couldn't even use my cell phone at home and I live around the Seaworld area. They also have the worst phones to chose from too. I ended up with Verizon and I got the phone I wanted and the internet speeds are fine. I am paying a little more though but at least the phone works where I've been so far. T-Mobile wouldn't work past the city limits. Sprint- I'd carry wood and a wet blanket before they'll ever see me again.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:03 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
I've had T-mobile for several years. Initially, the signal at my home (inside 410 on the NE side) was marginal. It would improve significantly if I went a block or two in any direction. The signal has somehow improved in the last couple of years, up to three bars at home. Always get full signal strength inside the office building I work in -- both the current building, and the one I worked in when I started the service.

I've never had reception issues anywhere else around town on those occasions when I was using the phone. I think any provider is going to have signal issues in specific locations. If you are planning to use the service at home for example, in lieu of a land line, best to ask your immediate neighbors what they are using, and how well it works.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 AM

448 posts, read 1,055,281 times
t moblie sucks had it in los angeles a heavy covered market and still had reception issues and the phone would be roaming on at&t's network. they said they would waive the termination fee cause of all the issues i had the bastards never did. and i couldn't use the phone from home i had to walk to the mall to make calls and receive calls. thank go i let the bill goto collections and the rep i spoke with and explained my situation to she had t mobile and had the same problems with them and she waived the termination fee . it all boils down to you get what you pay for!!

Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I was tempted by that $99 unlimited plan that Tmobile was offering...but when you go in to look at their phones, they all say x amount down. So I went home and read the fine print, and you have to make a monthly payment on the phone that puts your bill back up to what's typical from other carriers for plans for smart phones. So it's not any kind of savings at all.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 AM

170 posts, read 291,278 times
I've been happy with them so far. Good reception, good rates, and probably the best customer service out of the major providers.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 AM

92 posts, read 235,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I was tempted by that $99 unlimited plan that Tmobile was offering...but when you go in to look at their phones, they all say x amount down. So I went home and read the fine print, and you have to make a monthly payment on the phone that puts your bill back up to what's typical from other carriers for plans for smart phones. So it's not any kind of savings at all.
You don't have to buy the phones from the T-Mobile store - you can buy any GSM (sim card) phone (I buy them off ebay) and switch to that plan.

Yes, if you want their value plan, but buy the phone from the store, the cost in the end will be the same. Last time I was in a T-Mobile store, they were heavily pushing the fact that you can get the phone from anywhere, as long as it is an unlocked/T-mobile GSM phone.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 AM

381 posts, read 1,092,944 times
I've had T Mobile for almost 10 years. I moved to SA from Houston about 6 months ago and I have almost no reception at home. I live near the Bitters/Blanco intersection. I just called them today to confirm that I am not under a contract. I've got to have cell reception at home so I'll be canceling my service with them.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:03 PM

229 posts, read 473,813 times
One thing I would look at is how much data you use. For me, I stream audio ALL DAY long. Last month, I used almost 10 gigs of data. On Sprint, it's included...no limits. On the phone the 4G is slow, but when tethered to my computer, I can stream with NO issues all day long. If you go with ANY OTHER carrier, you will be limited on how much data you can use before being charged overages. Watch out for this too...AT&T says that most people use less than 2 gigs per month...well, these statistics are from 2009, before many of the popular streaming apps became, well, so popular.

I would say if you know beyond the shadow of a doubt you will only use "X" amount of data, then go ahead and jump...or if you don't mind paying more for data overages.

For reference, I just did a speedtest on my tethered connection and on the 4G, it's coming in at 5.8gigs..pretty quick, I think.

One other thought...I see T-Mobile has "unlimited data, talk and text" but then the fine print says the first 2G are "high speed" then you get throttled back...and of course it doesn't say how much. That's as bad as Pizza Hut's "Any pizza, any size, just $10"...except stuffed crust. Um...any means any...as in ALL INCLUSIVE. WHat a bunch of crap.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
We also switched from T-Mobile to sprint....kinda sounding like there is a trend here. Found Sprint to be far superior (in our case) so you might be wanting to rethink your options here in SA at least....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio